Frequently Asked Questions

1. When is the best time to study abroad at AUC?

The best times to study at AUC are the Fall and Spring semesters. However, you are welcome to come for the three-week winter term or study Arabic during the summer session, check the semester dates.

2. I don't speak or read Arabic. Can I study at AUC?

Yes, AUC offers a wide range of courses, all taught in English except for the Arabic language courses.  AUC offers a wide array of Arabic language courses and even teaches a non-credit course in “survival” Arabic to help newcomers find their way around Cairo. 

3. How do I know if the credits will transfer? 

AUC is a typical liberal arts university fully accredited in the United States. You need to check with your home institution to obtain approval for the courses that you plan to take at AUC. If you change your course program once you arrive at AUC, you need to contact your advisor for approval. Towards the end of the semester, make sure to order an official transcript which will be mailed to the address mentioned in your application.

4. What is the usual full-time academic load per semester?

A full-time undergraduate student can register for 12 – 15 credit hours in the Fall or Spring semester, 6 credits in the summer session, and 3 credits in the winter session. A full-time graduate student can register for 9 credit hours in the Fall or Spring semester, 6 credits in the summer session, and 3 credits in the winter session. 

5. Can I extend my study period to the following semester?

Yes, you need to email the Office of International Programs and Services at by mid-semester and follow instructions for academic advising and registration.

6. Are there on-campus jobs available to international students?

Yes, you can apply to the work-study program through the Career Center to work on campus in various departments and offices.


1. How can I apply to the study abroad program?

Submit the admission application before the admission application deadline.

2. What are the required documents?

You will find the list of the required documents in this checklist


1. What are the tuition and fees?

AUC tuition and fees can be found here.

2. I have been nominated from an exchange partner, do I still have to pay AUC tuition fees?

No, AUC tuition fees will be waived. Your AUC bill will only reflect charges for the medical services fee, mandatory health insurance premium, and Non-degree Student activities fee. Housing fee is excluded from the exchange waivers.

3. How much financial aid is offered for non-degree international students?

Non- degree students are not eligible for financial aid.  

4. Are there any scholarships offered for non-degree international students?

Yes, check this link for more details.


1. What are the visa requirements for international students? 

You are strongly recommended to get your tourist visa before your arrival. Check the visa process and follow it. Once you are on campus, the Business Support Office will help you obtain your student residency. Check the procedures and the required documents.

2. What is my visa status, if I want to do an internship after my study term?

If you are planning to do an internship after your study term at AUC, it is mandatory that you have a valid visa that would cover the duration of your study and internship.


How can I find information about programs offered at AUC?

AUC has five schools. AUC offers 37 undergraduate majors, for a list of majors with more information about each one, go to the Undergraduate Degree Programs. Also, AUC offers 44 master’s programs and 2 PhD programs. For a list of majors with more information about each one, go to the Graduate Degree Programs.

1. Do I need international health insurance?

AUC requires that all international students (enrolled as non-Egyptian) who are not permanent residents in Egypt have a comprehensive accident and sickness insurance plan, including emergency evacuation, political evacuation natural disaster, and repatriation of remains. For more information, read the policy, fees and procedures.

2. Do I have to join the local medical service plan?

Yes, all international students and AUC student housing residents are required to join AUC's local medical services plan. 

1. Does AUC offer on-campus housing?

Yes, on-campus housing is available. You need to apply as soon as you receive your acceptance letter to ensure availability.

2. Are students required to live on campus?

No, yet students are strongly recommended to live on campus.

3. Does AUC offer co-curricular activities?

AUC offers a wide variety of co-curricular activities through its student-run organizations operating on campus. AUC has more than 50 student organizations running every year. By joining student activities, you get the opportunity to develop your soft skills and life skills. 

4. Can I access the library?

Yes, all students with AUC ID can access the libraries diverse and constantly expanding collections, including books, journals, videos, microforms, rare materials and a substantial collection of electronic resources. You also have access to a variety of services, including information literacy instruction, reference and research guidance, document delivery and more. For more information, check the library page.

6. Are there any food outlets on campus?

Yes, AUC has two major food courts, bakeries, coffee shops and convenience stores on campus, perfect to grab a coffee, eat between classes or enjoy a meal with friends. For more information about food outlet locations, operating hours, surveys and service updates, as well as a reference for food services policies and procedures, check the food services page.

7. Does AUC have a sports complex?

Yes, all students with AUC ID can access it. For more information about facilities and reservations, sports schedules, membership, sports academies, daily working hours, and locker rental service, visit the Office of Athletics.

8. Are there any buses available from/to AUC campus?

Yes, AUC has bus service that is available to all AUC community. Check the routes, policies and procedures, and fees.


For further information, e-mail the Office of International Programs and Services (IPSO) at