Learn how to use your talents in creating visual images that communicate a message. Get the basics of graphic design and fuel your passion!
This course introduces students to the fundamentals of graphic design through analog and sometimes digital methodologies in a cross-disciplinary studio environment. In addition, students will be introduced to diverse techniques in visual research. Class exercises will enable students to explore the expressive use of various media and produce projects in design and visual communication.
- Conduct visual design research
- Understand the basic principles of visual communication
- Ideate and visualize basic concepts by applying the basic principles they learned on various basic design applications
- Document design work
- Present design projects
- Reflect on various design topics
Duration and Location
- July 17 - August 4, 2022
- Sessions will run daily from 9 am to 3 pm
- AUC New Cairo campus
- Fridays and Saturdays off
- $1,000 (price including field trips)
- 10% discount offered for siblings
- Egyptian students can pay the equivalent amount in Egyptian pounds
Note: This course helps you save up to almost 50% from its original price at AUC.
Who Can Apply?
This course is one of the pre-requisite courses for majoring in graphic design. We recommend you take it if you are seeking a bachelor's degree in graphic design. The course also serves students seeking other majors that have collateral requirements, as well as students planning on declaring graphic design as a minor.
- Upon taking this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from AUC and an official AUC transcript with your pass/fail mark.
- The course is not letter-graded, only pass or fail.
- Only students who pass the course will be able to transfer the course when they enroll to AUC or any other university (if applicable).
- The course is equivalent to 3 credit hours. Accordingly, upon enrolling at university and enrolling, 3 credit hours will be off-loaded from the major, minor, core, or elective requirements.
- The course will be transferred even if you decide to major in any other field.
- Submit an English writing sample (at least 750 words): essay or reflection
- Submit a copy of your report card for the past two years of school
- Submit a recommendation letter from a high-school teacher within the past academic year. The teacher must mention the student’s capacity for academic study in English
Note: Students are encouraged to submit any art or design project portfolios, like drawing, painting, illustration, graphic design, photography, or anything relevant.
Registration Deadline: June 30, 2022.
Accommodation is offered at the University residences in case needed.
About the Instructor
Mahy Mourad is a Cairo-based architect, independent researcher and multi-disciplinary designer. She lectures on design and architecture in several universities in Cairo. Mourad is the founder of Studio 39, a multidisciplinary research and design practice in Cairo. The studio design work has been previously exhibited in Cairo, Alexandria, Dubai and London. Mourad holds a BA in architecture and a dual master’s degree in urbanism and design with a distinction. Mourad has been teaching at AUC since 2017 and has been contributing to the development of the graphic design program.
Tarek Abdelkawi is an illustrator and graphic designer with an architectural background, an educator in both fields, as well as a professional musician. He has worked for multiple local and international clients, with a special focus on cultural events such as Cairo’s Annual Jazz Festival, and UK band Black Sabbath, among other clients. He has taught at GUC for a few years before he joined AUC in 2015 and has since been teaching and developing illustration and design foundations.
AUC Refund Policy
A 100% refund of the program fees will be offered in the following cases. Cases should be reported at least three weeks before the program's start date.
- Course cancellation
- Medical withdrawal
- Visa denial