Meet Cairo بالاحضان يا كايرو
Enjoy a language and cultural experience in the heart of the cosmopolitan city of Cairo.
Enroll in a two-week Egyptian colloquial Arabic winter boot camp that teaches real-life Arabic through an innovative and fun approach. Learning extends to the streets of the magical, culturally rich and ancient Cairo.
This boot camp integrates language education with cultural immersion activities and concentrates on content focused on real-life survival situations. The course presents formulaic language, tier-one lexical sets and basic structures needed for daily communication and interactions in Arabic. It covers almost all the essential language knowledge required for daily situations and offers a brief introduction to the Arabic alphabet.
The boot camp includes hands-on learning by integrating several daily trips around the city of Cairo, including sight-seeing trips and visiting monumental landmarks, popular markets, neighborhoods and cafés. During these trips, students use Arabic they learn in class while experiencing the distinctive smells and tastes of Cairo. By the end of the boot camp, students gain a good understanding of the Egyptian culture and develop the needed oral communication skills.
Two weeks from January 12, 2020 - January 23, 2020
Six hours daily
$1,500 excluding air flight and meals
Who May Enroll
- Arabic beginner learners, age 18+, who have no or limited Arabic knowledge, and want to learn all the Arabic language basics and explore the opulent life and sites of Cairo
- Whoever wants to learn all that is necessary to communicate in Arabic, but has no much time to do so
- Students who want to learn Arabic language and at the same time have guided, well planned and safe tours around the cosmopolitan city of Cairo as well as engage in simple conversations to get to know about Egyptians in the city
- Learners interested in committing to longer and more serious study of Arabic and want to give it a try before committing to a longer and more intense academic program
- Spirited learners who like adventure, long walks and late fun nights
Iman A. Soliman
Chair of the Department of Arabic Language Instruction
About the Instructor
Iman A. Soliman is the chair of the Department of Arabic Language Instruction, and the initiator of the Center for Advanced Arabic Study in Cairo (CAASIC) program (2013 – to date). Acted as CASA executive director from 2010 - 2015. She joined AUC in 2006 as a full-time faculty member. She earned her BA in English Literature from Ein Shams University. In 2003, she received her PhD in TAFL from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. In 2008, she further studied a couple of post-graduate modules in computer-enhanced language learning. Iman has taught Arabic language and culture since 1992 at a number of reputable academic institutions, such as Middlebury College, the University of Edinburgh, and the University of St. Andrews as well as in International House Cairo. At AUC, she taught both Egyptian colloquial and modern standard Arabic language and culture. She has co-authored a number of Arabic foreign language books "Kallemni 'Arabi"; mastering Arabic through literature: Volume I the short story and volume II on modern Arabic drama.
No prior knowledge of Arabic is needed
- Arabic learning sessions, which includes teaching colloquial Arabic language through reading, writing, group projects, and other learning activities
- Field trips to culturally rich areas in Cairo (ex: Cairo Museum, Giza Pyramids, Medieval Cairo, Khan el Khalili and Moez Street, felucca trip in the Nile)
- Evening activities may include movie nights, field trips and gatherings with other students
- Week-end long trips
Material to Bring?
- Photocopied materials from AUC printshop