What is institutional financial aid?

Institutional financial aid is a grant offered by AUC to provide partial tuition support for students, who demonstrate financial need to attend AUC or who joined AUC and face some financial difficulties in paying their tuition fees.

Who can apply for institutional financial aid?

Any student can apply for financial aid if he/she meets the following criteria:

  1. Adhere to the admission requirements of AUC.
  2. Demonstrate financial need through the financial aid application form.
  3. Be a degree-seeking student.
  4. Be in good academic standing (not on probation). GPA should not be less than 2.0 for current undergraduate students or 3.0 for graduate students.
  5. Maintain full-time status (not less than 12 credit hours per semester). This condition is for undergraduate students only; graduating seniors and graduate students can maintain a part-time status.

How can I apply for financial aid?

For more information about the steps to apply for financial aid, click here.

For financial aid tips, click here

What documents should I upload along with my application on Banner?  

You must upload official documents concerning your family’s income or your income if you are financing your education yourself. Also, if you have siblings who are studying at other universities or schools, you must make sure to state their educational information in your financial aid application.  If your family also has high medical expenses, you should attach the related supporting documents such as medical reports to support your case.

For more details about other documents, click here.

What do I need to do in order to renew my financial aid award?

You need to complete and submit the financial aid renewal form available on Banner Self-Service.

Which year needs to be stated on the supporting documents submitted for my application?

Supporting documents such as parent’s net annual income or siblings' schooling certificates need to be clearly referenced for the previous year and not the current year. For example, if you are applying for the fall 2021 semester, you will have to submit documents for 2020.

What is the coverage period for the financial aid award?

Financial aid covers one academic year fall to spring and not spring to fall. For example, students who apply in the fall 2021 semester, the award would probably be applied for fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters. For those who apply in the spring 2022 semester, the award would be applied for one semester only. You will need to apply for renewal each academic year if you continue to demonstrate financial need. Summer and winter semesters are not covered by financial aid.

Why was my application submitted but not accepted?

If you fail to upload and provide all the required supporting documents your application will be considered incomplete and will not be processed.

What happens if after submitting the income certificate for my parent, the income suddenly drops? What do I do?

You need to communicate with the financial aid team via email at finschol@aucegypt.edu to give you access to the financial aid reconsideration form. Updated supporting documents will need to be submitted and your award will be reevaluated by the committee.

I have submitted my parent/guardian income letter; why was it rejected?

  • You need to make sure that the letter clearly states the net annual income after deducting taxes and social insurance and including bonuses, incentives and profit shares
  • The annual income should reflect that of the previous year, not the current year
  • Private business owners should get the income document from a Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
  • Parent/guardian employed in a company should get an official letter from the human resources department

What documents are required regarding family savings?

We will require a hand-written declaration signed by the parent/guardian stating the family’s total savings and the annual interest built upon those savings. No bank statements are required. 

What documents are required if I have siblings currently at school?

Proof of siblings’ school enrollment letter, including their annual tuition as well as bus transportation fees for the previous academic year (not the current year); no receipts will be accepted.

How do I get the proof of unemployment letter for my parent/guardian and do they have to request it in-person?

You can get the proof of unemployment letter from any branch of the Social Insurance Office. Your parent/guardian does not need to be present in-person to request the letter, any member can place the request on their behalf as long as they present a valid ID or birth certificate of your parent/guardian. The letter is issued by the office within the same day.

Will my parents or I be required for an interview?

If the documents submitted has numbers or information that is unclear or not consistent with those stated in your application, you or your parents may be contacted for further clarification.

I have a problem editing my financial aid application, as it is previously submitted in the fall semester, thus I kindly request editing my application form with updated documents.

You cannot access the fall application during the following spring semester if you had already submitted the application for the fall semester because the decision is for one academic year (fall 2021 and spring 2022 as an example). You can apply for the following academic year (starting fall 2022 in this case) within the assigned dates that are announced on the website. 

Can I amend or modify my application after submitting my documents?

No, once you submit your documents and they are complete you cannot make any changes. Make sure to carefully review the information and numbers provided as well as the documents to be submitted prior to uploading them on Banner Self-Service.

How do I get notified about the financial aid decision?

The financial aid office sends online letters to the students through their emails with the financial aid committee’s decisions.

What could be the reasons to “reject” my application?

Your application may be rejected if:

  • You have missing documents or information.
  • You did not demonstrate financial need as per the information provided in your application and the supporting documents.

How can I appeal the amount received or the award decision?

You will send us an email at finschol@aucegypt.edu and request a reconsideration form, and we will make it available for you on Banner Self-Service.

What is the next step if my appeal is rejected?

You can apply for the following semester provided that you demonstrate need or if your financial situation has changed. You need to ensure that you have submitted all necessary documents; highlighting any changes in your financial status and clearly stating the reasons for applying for the new semester. 

Is there financial aid for the summer and winter sessions?

No, financial aid is granted during the summer session or winter sessions.

Does the financial aid cover the dorm's fees?

Financial aid covers academic tuition fees only.  

When can I apply for financial aid?

Every semester (fall/spring), there is a starting date to apply. Check the financial aid calendar for more details.

What if I missed the application deadline?

If you have missed the fall application deadline you can apply for the spring semester.

In case of unexpected emergencies such as; death, a sudden layoff from jobs for parent/guardian, etc. you may send an email to finschol@aucegypt.edu explaining the emergency. Supporting documents of the incident need to be submitted as evidence. 

I discovered that my application is considered “incomplete” while I am sure I did click the “submit” button and received a confirmation. What could be the problem?

Students must make sure that all their documents are complete. Otherwise, their application will not be considered.

I was surprised to find out that I did not apply for aid in the first place, while I am sure that I did fill in the application and it was successfully sent. I don’t understand why?

You probably chose the wrong type of application. For example, you might have chosen the scholarship application instead. Also, it is very important to pay attention to the academic year as well as the category of the student applying, whether undergraduate or graduate. 

I am trying to access my financial aid application on Banner Self-Service, however; I am unable to find it. Why? 

If you have already started your application and want to go back to complete filling it out, follow the steps below:

  1. Click on "Student awards and financial aid, then click on "View and Complete my applications"
  2. You should be able to find your financial aid application
  3. Click on view/modify found next to your application
  4. Choose to view/modify sections
  5. Start filling in all sections

Is the financial aid awarded as a percentage of the total tuition fees or is it a fixed amount?

The institutional financial aid is a fixed amount awarded for undergraduates each academic year. The exact amount given varies, depending on each individual case.

If I am taking an overload, does the financial aid cover the extra credits?

Financial aid is a flat amount that is applied to the normal load only. No financial aid is offered for extra credits.

If I have a sibling or more at AUC, do we receive an automatic discount?

There are no discounts for siblings at AUC. However, you can apply for institutional financial aid. Financial aid will be determined based on committee consideration of the demonstrated need.

What are the benchmarks used in distributing financial aid amounts?

Every year AUC establishes standard benchmarks for evaluating and assessing financial needs. There is no minimum or maximum income requirement for financial aid. Each application is evaluated individually and on a case-by-case basis. Benchmarks are reviewed every year based on the inflation rate, tuition, siblings’ education expenses and University guidelines.

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw or study abroad for one semester?

Students who do not attend the university for one semester have to email the financial aid at finschol@aucegypt.edu to review the status of their financial aid awards before the assigned deadline of the financial aid application for their readmission/registration semester.

I have been awarded financial aid; however, it was NOT credited to my account this semester. Why?

Financial aid depends on specified criteria namely:

  • You must maintain a GPA not less than 2.0
  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester (i.e. maintain full-time status)
  • You must renew your application

I registered for less than 12 credit hours, and my financial aid did not appear. Does this mean that I have been rejected?

Financial aid is given to full-time students with 12 or more credit hours. Once you successfully register for your courses the financial aid will automatically appear on your account. Only if you are a graduating senior, your financial aid will be applied in proportion to the remaining registered courses and it will be reflected on your account after the drop and add week, students must still abide by the university fees deadlines.

I registered for 12 or more credit hours and then withdrew from a course(s) following the drop/add deadline. Do I still receive my financial aid amount?

If you drop or withdraw course(s) after the drop/add period and you did not receive any refund (no change in your billing hours) your financial aid award should not be affected.

I am a graduating student this semester with part-time enrollment. Why didn’t I receive my financial aid?

Graduating students even if part-time receive financial aid; however, our office needs to receive the final list of graduating students from the Office of the Registrar before disbursing the aid amounts.

I am expected to graduate this semester and while paying my upcoming tuition installment I noticed that the financial aid amount has been reduced. Why was the amount reduced after the drop/add period and not before?

Prior to the drop/add period you received the initial amount you have been entitled to; however following the drop/add period and as a graduating senior (last semester to graduate), you were registered for less than 12 credit hours causing a partial adjustment to the amount in proportion to your registered credit hours.

I am expected to graduate and while paying my upcoming tuition installment I discovered that I did not receive the financial aid amount. Why was the amount not received?

Following the drop/add period we received the final expected to graduate student list from the Office of the Registrar and noted that you are registered for less than 12 credit hours and not a graduating senior (last semester to graduate). Accordingly, your financial aid has been canceled for the semester.

Why did I receive a lower financial aid amount than my sibling?

You could be receiving other scholarship awards such as an achievement or sports scholarship awards which are taken into consideration when reviewing the applications. Another factor is the admission year of the student.

Why did I receive a lower financial aid amount than my colleague although we live in the same standards?

All applications submitted are reviewed and analyzed on a case-by-case basis and final decisions are made by the concerned committee based on student need demonstrated, information provided and supporting documents. In addition, you could be receiving other scholarship awards such as an achievement or sports scholarship awards which are also taken into consideration when reviewing the applications.

AUC is committed to equally serving our students and accordingly, we have specific standards and rules that are fair to all students. We ensure equality in all decisions based on the documents and information provided by the student.

Why do I not receive notifications from the office of student financial affairs and scholarships? Can I be added to the mailing list?

Our office does not have a mailing list of students. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Student Services Centre (SSC) or the Registrar Office to ensure that email addresses provided for both student and parent are accurate.

Why doesn’t the office of student financial affairs and scholarships send announcements or notifications regarding the application dates and deadlines?

We announce important dates and deadlines on the website, portal and via News@AUC which are the University’s official communication channels. Reminders are also sent before deadlines through the AUC portal.

Where is the office of student financial affairs and scholarships located?

The office of student financial affairs and scholarships is located in Dr. Hamza AlKholi building (where the admissions office is located) on the second floor. In light of the current shift to an online mode of operation at AUC due to the current pandemic, kindly correspond with the office of student financial affairs and scholarships by email at finschol@aucegypt.edu.

Who takes the final decision on the financial aid being awarded?

A designated University committee comprised of senior management members reviews and decides on the awards. Decisions are based on thorough needs assessment demonstrated through the application and documents submitted, professional judgment and University financial aid guidelines and benchmarks. AUC strongly trusts the integrity of our students and parents, and we are confident that in return they trust that our judgment and decisions are in the best interest of our entire student community. 

Can students be part of the financial aid award committee?

Financial aid applications submitted by students include confidential student and parent information that should not be shared with unofficial entities. This is to protect and respect student privacy and confidentiality of the information and to avoid any conflict of interest. Students, however, can be part of the advisory board where strategic and statistical information and data can be shared, and they can provide advice and recommendations.

If two AUC siblings are applying for financial aid, can they submit only one application for both?

No. Each sibling should fill his own separate application and mention his sibling AUC ID in it.

Do new students need to wait until they receive AUC acceptance to apply for financial aid?

No, they don’t have to wait. New/prospective students can apply for financial aid once they submit their admission application and have an AUC ID number.