Frequently Asked Questions

General Inquiries 
English Proficiency Tests and Standardized Testing 
How to Apply? 
Where to send documents? 
Useful Links

General Inquiries 

I want to apply for master at AUC. What programs do you offer?
AUC offers over 53 graduate programs. You can find the list of our programs here.

Where can I find out about funding opportunities for graduate students at AUC?
After you have decided which academic program you want to apply to, you can find the full listing of our fellowships here. Information on need-based financial aid can be found here.

What are the minimum requirements to apply for graduate studies at AUC?

  • Applicants for graduate study must have an accredited bachelor degree with an academic record at a level sufficient to qualify for full or provisional admission
  • Meeting the admission application deadline
  • An online application for graduate studies
  • Online payment of the application fee
  • The selection of up to two graduate programs for which the admission application will be processed
  • A statement of purpose (about 500 words for each graduate program selected)
  • For the MIM/CEMS program, a letter of motivation instead of the statement of purpose should be submitted
  • An updated resume (CV) that must include work experience and educational background
  • At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background. (only MIM/CEMS Fall 2019 applicants are allowed to submit their letter by means other than online)
  • Official academic records, of which one must be a bachelor degree from an accredited institution with proof of degree completion. Original documents can be returned to the applicants at a later date
  • Satisfactory English language proficiency examination test results (International TOEFL/Academic IELTS). Some AUC graduate programs require higher scores than others While the validity of any of these English language proficiency examination tests is two years from the day of the exam, the results cannot be considered for graduate admission if the expiry date is before your first day of registered classes at AUC. Unofficial results are acceptable for processing purposes only, and original test results or official online access to results are required prior to final admission for verification
  • Clear copy of the valid national ID card (front and back) – Egyptian applicants only
  • Clear copy of the information pages of your passport – International applicants and Egyptian dual nationals
  • One recent passport size photograph (a clear electronic copy)
  • For the Master in Business Administration (MBA) program, satisfactory valid GMAT results. (500 is the minimum acceptable score)
  • For the Master of Science in Finance (FINC) program, satisfactory valid GMAT or GRE results
  • For the Master of Arts in Journalism and Mass Communication (JRMC) program, non-edited writing samples
  • For the Master of Arts in Philosophy (PHIL) program, a 1000 word writing a sample to demonstrate critical thinking
  • For the Master of Arts in Economics or Economics in International Development, satisfactory GRE results, to be submitted latest by mid-November for current Fall admission, or by mid-April for current Spring admission
  • For the doctoral programs, in addition to the above, the following is required:
    • The detailed final official transcript of the master’s degree
    • The abstract of the completed master’s thesis
    • Research interests and objectives (This is to be prepared as a separate document to the Statement of Purpose)
    • Satisfactory valid GRE results
  • For details, all requirements are listed here
  • For a more in-depth discussion of the academic eligibility requirements, as well as the expected level of English proficiency, exemptions from English testing, and the types of admission at AUC, you can follow this link

How much does it cost to study at AUC?

Tuition fees are paid per credit hour. To calculate the total tuition costs of your intended degree, you can multiply the total number of credit hours needed to complete the degree by the tuition fee for credit hours your specific program. Every graduate course is three credit hours. Tuition fees are updated on a semester basis here.


When do I need to apply by to start next fall?
Applications to start graduate studies in the fall semester are due on February 1 for early admission consideration, whereby fellowship applications are due on February 15, and on the April 1 for regular admission consideration, whereby fellowship applications are due April 15.

When do I need to apply by to start next Spring?
Applications to start graduate studies in the spring semester are due the preceding October 15. Accordingly, fellowship applications are due on November 3.

I am an international student and will be getting other offers in early spring, when can I apply to AUC?
International applicants submitting a graduate admission application for the following Fall should expect to receive their admission decision by April 1.   


What kind of fellowships does AUC offer?

The American University in Cairo has two categories of fellowships: institutional and sponsored. Institutional fellowships are funded by the university while sponsored fellowships are from private endowments and donors. Some fellowships are discipline specific, whereas others are based on the country/region of origin.

Can anyone get a fellowship?

Fellowships are highly competitive awards. They are open to new students, and may also be available to continuing graduate students who display superior performance in their academic endeavors, depending on the availability of allocated funds for a given fellowship award. You should check our fellowship listing here and see what is available for the semester for which you are applying.

Do fellowships only recognize academic achievement?

While both types of fellowships recognize high achieving applicants, the University considers financial need as well as academic merit.

I want to apply to study part-time at AUC. Can I still apply for fellowships?

Preference is given to those who wish to pursue full-time study in a graduate program at AUC, but you may still apply. Sponsored fellowships necessitate full-time status for their fellows.

 How do I apply for fellowships? I just submitted my admission application, when can I start applying for fellowships?

Prospective students must first submit the application for admission before they can access and complete the fellowships (and financial aid) application. You should not wait until you are accepted to the program before you apply for the fellowship. Allow between five to ten working days for the system to process your application and generate a Student ID number, which is required to access Banner. You can access the fellowship application from here.

How many fellowships can I apply for?

You can apply for a maximum of three fellowships in the fellowship application. However, you can only be awarded, one fellowship.

I am a refugee, what are my options for funding?

The below fellowships are available to all refugee students, regardless of nationality or graduate program:

Fellowships for Refugees (3.0 GPA minimum)

  • Two academic years, intervening summer: tuition, housing, monthly stipend, student fees. May be able to cover remedial English and pre-requisite courses, if needed. For more information, click here.

University Fellowships (3.2 GPA minimum)

  • Semester, subject to renewal: tuition fees for three classes, monthly stipend, student feesFor more information, click here. 

International Graduate Fellowships

  • Two academic years, intervening summer: tuition, housing, monthly stipend, student feesFor more information, click here.

For students from African countries (excluding Egypt), the African Graduate Fellowship is open to students from any program of study. (Find out more about the African Graduate Fellowship here) For students from the Arab World, some fellowships are discipline-specific, however, target Arab students. See our fellowships listing for the exhaustive list of fellowships offered at AUC.

English Proficiency Tests and Standardized Testing

What if my English level isn’t good enough?

Based on the English test results you submit along with your application for admission, if you are placed in a level less than full admission, then you should expect to be assigned intensive English (ELIN courses) or graduate English modules (ENGL courses) as prerequisites. These you will need to completed successfully prior to committing to the graduate program you got provisionally admitted to.
For more information on the required scores, click here.

What is the provisional admission?

Provisional admission is granted to those entering students not qualifying for full admission, but who have additional attributes that give them a high potential for success in a given graduate program.
Under provisional admission, a student may be required to take English courses, a number of specified prerequisite courses, or fulfill a condition. Students are required to achieve a minimum grade of 'B' average in these prerequisite courses or their admission at AUC will be discontinued. In some instances, students may not be required to fulfill any prerequisites while on provisional status; however, in this case, they are considered on probation and must achieve a minimum 'B' average in the first semester (or two graduate courses) or they will be dropped from the program.

Which English tests are acceptable for admission consideration to graduate studies at AUC?

Applicants must demonstrate knowledge of adequate English language for graduate studies. For full admission to the University, graduate applicants must attain the required score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (International TOEFL, iBT) the International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) examination, the Advanced or the Proficiency exams of the academic Cambridge Assessment English tests.
You can familiarize yourself with the TOEFL, IELTS cut-off scores that AUC uses for admission to all programs, except for the MIM/CEMS program. 

What about English tests? Do I have to submit English scores?

The University does not exempt applicants from the English test solely on the basis of citizenship or graduation from an international university in the region. An applicant may be exempted from these examinations if:

  • Currently enrolled (for at least one continuous year of full-time academic studies) in an accredited university where English is the sole language of instruction.
  • Recently completed at least one continuous year of full-time academic studies at an accredited university where English is the sole language of instruction.
  • Earned degrees from accredited universities where English is the sole language of instruction.

However, in case scores of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (International TOEFL), (iBT) or the International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS) examination, or the Cambridge Assessment English test, are submitted for a graduate admission application, the resulting placement from these scores will overrule any exemption criteria.

I am a Refugee living in Egypt. How can I register for the TOEFL or IELTS Tests?

Below is the information for the TOEFL and IELTS test registration steps for UNHCR card holders, who would need to sit for these tests in Egypt for their graduate application to AUC:

I. A holder of a UNHCR asylum seeker card will follow the steps below to register for and sit for the TOEFL test:
1. The applicant must send an email to TSReturns@ETS.ORG at least 7 days before he/she registers for the test to receive approval for registration using the UNHCR asylum seeker card. 
2. Once he/she receives approval, he/she can register for the exam, and send an email with his/her ETS ID or registration number to the assigned contact person. 
3. An approval/notification email is then sent from ETS to the applicant's Test Center Manager so the applicant would have no issues on the test day. 

* For general inquiries, the student can email

II. A holder of a UNHCR asylum seeker card will follow the steps below to register for and site for the IELTS test:
1. The British Council accepts UNHCR cards and residence permits as proof of identity. 
2. The applicant needs to go to the British Council in Agouza in person, not online. 
3. The applicant asks Customer Service at the British Council in Agouza to meet with a representative from the Examinations Services team, to receive assistance throughout the process of registering for the IELTS test and obtaining the regional approval to take the IELTS test using a UNHCR card. 

*The IDP IELTS Test provider and partner of the School of Continuing Education at AUC does not accept any proof of identity except national ID and passport.

Do I have to submit test scores other than English scores?

For the PhD program, you do have to submit a satisfactory GRE score.
For the Master in Business Administration (MBA) program, satisfactory valid GMAT results. (500 is the minimum acceptable score).
For the Master of Science in Finance (FINC) program, satisfactory valid GMAT or GRE results.
For the Master of Arts in Economics or Economics in International Development, satisfactory GRE results, to be submitted latest by mid-November for current Fall admission, or by mid-April for current Spring admission.
For the rest of the programs, you are only required to submit the English test scores.

How to Apply?

I don’t know how to apply. What can you tell me?

First, start by selecting the online graduate admission application form that interests you. For each online form, you will find the corresponding instructions and checklist to successfully complete your form.
For example, you can find comprehensive instructions to guide you when applying to graduate master or graduate diploma at AUC in this document.
This checklist lists the credentials and possible tests scores required to complete your application for admission consideration.

What should a personal statement cover?

In approximately 500 words, highlight your academic background and past accomplishments. Describe how graduate studies will contribute to your long-term academic and professional objectives. Address the academic or research interests you would like to pursue within the particular graduate program or field of interest, as well as how the program at AUC might help you pursue these interests. Specify AUC faculty members, if any, with whom you might like to work and explain how their work connects with your own academic or research interests. If you have applied to more than one program, you should submit a different statement of purpose for each program.

I am applying for two different programs- do I need two statements of purpose?

Yes, you will need to provide two different statements of purpose if you are applying for two programs although you do not need to submit two separate applications.

 Can my recommendation letters be in a language other than English?

No, recommendation letters must be submitted in English.

Can recommendation letters be submitted a hard copy?

No, only online recommendation letters are accepted.

Is there a form or a format for the recommendation letter?

As an applicant, you simply have to provide the contact details of your recommenders in the online application. You can find more instructions here.

 I am an AUC alumnus and I just applied for graduate studies. Why can’t I access the fellowship application on Banner?

If you can’t access the fellowship application on Banner, email for help. You will not be issued a new ID, however, your status will have to be updated to that of a graduate student. 

 I am having issues with the online application?

If you are experiencing any technical difficulties, please email for help.

Where to send documents?

Clear scanned copies are acceptable for processing purposes unless specifically instructed by the Office of Graduate Admissions to provide original documentation during the processing of your application. Only those admitted applicants offered admission must provide original documentation for verification, as requested.

Original documentation is available for return to the graduate student after AUC has verified the authenticity of the credentials. However, it can only be collected in person by the concerned student. A valid official personal photo ID will be required for identity confirmation.

Credentials are delivered to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Hamza EL Kholi Information Center
AUC Avenue, P.O. Box 74
New Cairo 11835, Egypt

Other Contacts:

For general and fellowship inquiries:
You can reach the graduate admissions team at
For any issues related to the application, accessing the fellowships' application, or IT-related problems, contact

 Useful Link

Graduate Studies Program
Graduate Admissions Application Checklist
Admissions Online application
Fellowships Listings
Fellowship Application Instructions
Fellowship Application Link
Financial Aid