Last updated on March 14, 2021
USAID Scholars Activity
University Scholarship Universities in Egypt
The USAID Scholars Activity, implemented by The American University in Cairo, offers a number of opportunities for four or five years of university scholarships (which may be preceded by a preliminary year) depending on the specialization/major of study. The program will be offered for approximately 140 students in the academic year 2020 - 2021 to obtain bachelor degrees at a number of Egyptian public and private universities. This program specifically aims to support the economic, social, and environmental developmental plans in Egypt by giving special focus to the academic fields of water, energy, agriculture and nursing. The main major of study offered by the program for the next academic year are:
- Computer Science
- Environmental Engineering
- Data Science
- Commerce and Economy
The American University in Cairo, Cairo University, Ain Shams University, Assiut University, Mansoura University, and Zewail City of Science and Technology.
The program aims to support Egypt’s 2030 vision by contributing to its sustainable development strategy by offering educational opportunities that incorporate knowledge, experiential learning, research, entrepreneurship, labor market preparation, and innovation. Furthermore, the program paves the way for scientific research that could possibly have a positive impact on students, educational institutes, and Egyptian society overall.
The program aims to:
- Enable students with exceptional academic potential to enroll in and excel through better academic opportunities.
- Increase the chances of Egyptian students to enroll in university programs specifically in the faculties and majors that are for a tuition fee and offer credit-hour systems in English.
- Enable students with exceptional academic potential and have physical disabilities to have access to more university education opportunities.
- Improve the students’ English language skills required to facilitate the learning process and to prepare them for the labor market requirements in Egypt.
- Offer the opportunity for some students to study in some USA universities for one semester or one summer semester.
- Provide a number of opportunities for students to work on developing ideas and innovative projects and turn them into real-life projects.
- Contribute to increasing post-graduation job opportunities through the enhancement of their business, leadership, and other skills required by the labor market.
- Enhance scholarship students’ leadership skills and commitment towards their societies and country in order to prepare them to be future leaders and advocates for the development of their local communities.
- Enable students to participate in and benefit from internships and funding opportunities for innovative projects through private sector organizations.
- Provide full-residence opportunities in partner universities’ housing/dormitories (as needed and in compliance with scholarship criteria).
- The student must be Egyptian.
- The student has to have been enrolled in a public or STEM school throughout all secondary education years.
- Students must obtain a secondary school certificate (Thanaweya Amma) in the school year 2019 - 2020 with a total score not less than 85% from public schools or their equivalent in STEM schools.
- Active participation in extracurricular activities such as volunteering and development/community service.
- Have leadership potential.
The USAID Scholars Activity program accepts applications from qualified students from all 27 governorates of Egypt and will take into consideration the equal representation of genders, and geographic distribution, the diversity of disciplines (with tuition fees) in compliance with admission criteria in the partner universities and departments, and the representation of people with disabilities.