Media Enlightenment: Behind the Scenes
Media enlightenment can significantly impact people’s lives, and how they interpret the world they live in!
This field is the art of providing the right information to the right audience via the right medium, helping the world better understand its surroundings. Get a 360-degree understanding of how the journalism and communications industries operate. Engage in an exciting learning experience where you will explore the different media used in today’s modern world, develop writing skills, learn the art of storytelling, understand ethics, get an introduction to advertising, learn the power of visual communication and develop basic photography skills. Join us in learning everything you need to know about the industry to help you set off on the right career path.
Duration and Location
- July 23 - August 10, 2023
- Sessions will run daily from 9 am to 3 pm
- AUC New Cairo campus
- Fridays and Saturdays off
- $1,000 (price including field trips) - half the price of the same course than for AUC undergraduates
- 10% discount offered for siblings
- Egyptian students can pay the equivalent amount in Egyptian pounds
|Egyptian students can pay the tuition using|
Current AUC Equivalent
This course is one of the core courses, from among which students of all majors may select. For students interested in exploring Journalism and Mass Communication.
Note that program requirements may change. Courses are no longer required by programs at the time of students admission to AUC will be transferred as electives.
- Upon taking this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from AUC.
- The course is equivalent to 3 credit hours. Only students who pass the course will be able to transfer these 3 credits when they enroll at AUC. In case transferring the course to other universities, their transfer assessments will apply.
- An English writing sample (at least 750 words): essay or reflection
- A copy of your report card for the past two years of school
- A recommendation letter from a high-school teacher within the past academic year. The teacher must mention the student’s capacity for academic study in English
July 6, 2023
The AUC bus service is available for extra fees. Details on the schedule will be shared before the program’s start date.
Accommodation is offered at the University residences in case needed.
About the Instructor
Mervat Abou Oaf
Professor of Practice, PhD Prior Chair
Mervat Abou Oaf is an academic and professional media expert and educator with twenty-five years of solid practice and teaching experience. She is a Professor of Practice and prior chair of the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication at the School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) of The American University in Cairo (AUC). She received her PhD from the University Autonoma of Barcelona, Spain, with excellent qualifications. Her teaching domain covers a wide range of practical and theoretical media disciplines. She has created a niche in media literacy and media law, with particular emphasis on the legislation of the cinema and entertainment industries. Abou Oaf has acquired vast academic and administrative expertise and has been extensively involved in student affairs, policies, and co-curricular activities since 1995. She is a trainer and curricula designer at the National Training Academy of the Presidential Leadership Programs (PLP), EPLP, and APLP. A directory board consultant to the Chamber of Cinema Industry Federation in Egypt and an Academic consultant for the Cairo International Film Festival. Abou Oaf serves on the National Council for Women's Foreign Affairs Committee. She is a member of the Foreign Press Association, trustee, and board member/media consultant of The AWLADNA Foundation for the Disabled. Consultant for the TV Presenters Segment at the United Media Services and Media Hubs (DOME). Abou Oaf is a recipient of Peace Ambassador for Arts and Culture from the Egyptian Center for World Peace and Human Rights and an advocate of soft power's significant role in conducting change within communities.
AUC Refund Policy
A 100% refund of the program fees will be offered in the following cases. If reported at least three weeks before the program's start date.
- Course Cancellation
- Medical Withdrawal
- Visa Denial