The first building secured for AUC was Khairy Pasha’s Old Palace Residence. The same building at one time housed the Egyptian University, now Cairo University.
AUC owned land near the Giza Pyramids until 1959 and originally had planned to have the campus be by the pyramids.
AUC used to host a traditional tug of war contest between sophomores and freshmen. As reported by the Caravan on November 2, 1951, “The traditional tug of war between sophomores and freshmen will take place on Saturday, January 6 during Assembly time. The
Through the years, AUC students have hosted a range of informal contests, notably including a yelling contest in 1945 and a beard-growing contest in 1956. Below is an excerpt about the yelling contest in the January 5, 1945 Caravan edition: “Leila Shukri