All enrolled graduate students at The American University in Cairo (AUC) can apply for research, conference, and study abroad grants. Those who have just graduated, and intend to present the results of their graduate thesis at a recognized professional conference, may also apply. A graduate MA or MSc student is allowed only one conference grant per year, with a maximum of two conference grants per study period. He/she is also allowed up to one research grant per study period and up to one study abroad grant per study period. PhD students are allowed up to three grants per study period, two of which must be conference grants. No more than one conference grant per year is allowed.
Graduate students must submit 2023-2024 grant applications to their programs/departments by one of the following four deadlines:
• September 20, 2023
• November 12, 2023
• February 12, 2024
• April 7, 2024
Types of Grants
1. Conference Grants
For assisting with expenses for delivering a paper at a recognized conference about research work conducted while a graduate student at AUC.
2. Research Grants
For assisting with expenses for research conducted for an AUC graduate thesis. The support can cover:
- Supplies, services, and data to be collected or purchased from local/international sources.
- Publishing costs of reprints, page charges, preparation of manuscripts for publishing, and journal publication costs.
- Travel expenses where applicable, possibly including airfare, accommodation, visa fee, and health insurance.
- Grants could be used for the purchase of minor equipment and/or software licensees, but only with the approval of the program director/department chair. Such equipment and/or licenses become the property of the program/department at the end of the grant period.
3. Exchange/Study Abroad Grants
For assisting with airfare and living expenses abroad. The applicant must be accepted as a non-degree student or a visiting scholar, for up to one semester, in an institution with transferable credits to AUC. This grant is to possibly support an exchange/study abroad opportunity that would contribute to completing the applicant’s graduate degree requirements at AUC.
Students are requested to use the online system for the application. This system is typically accessible 10 days before the deadline for each cycle.
For more information, contact the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, at +20.2615.3993 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for Graduate Students
For support grants guidelines, click here.
Support Grants FAQs
For frequently asked questions, click here.