Office of the General Counsel and Compliance FAQ

  • ​​​​​​OGCC provides legal advice and representation to the University as an institution. OGCC lawyers advise the trustees, officers, faculty, and staff in their official capacities as representatives of the institution on issues impacting the University. OGCC lawyers cannot represent individual trustees, officers, faculty, and staff on personal matters.

  • ​​​​​​Any information shared with OGCC is confidential and will not be shared with third parties. However, OGCC may share information with other relevant University officials on a need-to-know basis, if required by applicable law, or if necessary for the pursuit and/or appropriate resolution of a duly authorized investigation or other legal matter. If you have any questions or concerns about the confidentiality of a particular conversation with any University official, you should ask the University official to explain the confidentiality parameters before the conversation begins.

  • ​​​​​​Yes. You may share complaints with OGCC on an anonymous basis through the AUC Ethics HelpLine (coming soon), in writing, or by email. OGCC may request additional information from University subject-matter experts, such as officials from the Internal Audit Office or Office of the Controller. OGCC may request further information or request direct contact with you if your complaint cannot be resolved appropriately without direct contact.

  • OGGC is located in room 2037 on the second floor of the Administration Building. For general inquiries, you can reach the office by phone at 02.2.6152.207. Email for legal services, and email for compliance matters. If you need to speak with a specific member of our team, refer to meet the team page

  • ​​​​​​No. Only OGCC can retain outside counsel. If you believe outside counsel is needed for a University matter, you should contact a lawyer in OGCC who will determine if outside counsel is necessary or appropriate.

  • If you need to retain the services of an individual, you must contact the Office of Human Resources. To contract a company or an organization, you must contact the Office of Supply Chain Management.