Q- What is an endowment?
An endowment is an amount of money given by a donor for a certain purpose. The principal amount can never be spent. Only the earnings should be available for spending and within the restrictions made by the donor.

Q- What is the WBS number that I should use when spending the income?
Every endowment WBS starts with 06 and is followed by the cost center to which the endowment is designated.

Q- What is the fund to be used for endowment expenses?
The fund to be used for endowment expenses is 10301000.

Q- Can I spend any income balances left in the endowment WBS during the following fiscal year?
Yes, balances left in the endowment WBS are rolled over to the next fiscal year because the endowment is a multi-year project.

Q- Can I spend from the endowment WBS and charge any G/Ls?
Every endowment has a certain restriction hence expenses made should adhere to said restrictions.

Financial Analysis and Reporting

Q- What is a fixed asset? 
Those items acquired by a business for use in its operation that are not for resale. For example: equipment, furniture, fixtures, software, vehicles, etc.

Q- What is the capitalization threshold for fixed assets?
In order to provide for the proper control and conservation of AUC property as well as proper accounting for financial reporting, the University controller set fixed asset capitalization threshold as follows:

1. Capital Assets
All fixed assets which have a useful life of more than two years and a unit value equal to or greater than the capitalization threshold of $2,500 or its equivalent LE 14,500. This may include items of unit price less than LE 14,500 or $2,500; if the total purchase for the same item is greater than or equal to LE 14,500 or $2,500 and the useful life of that item is two or more years, the unit price rule should be ignored and the items should not be charged as low value asset. Please note that fixed assets, upon acquisition, will be capitalized immediately as fixed assets subject to depreciation.

2. Low Value Assets
All items that are currently valued at less than the capitalization threshold of $2,500 or its equivalent LE 14,500 and which have a useful life of more than two years and will be traceable by the University inventory control unit. Please note that such items will be fully depreciated in the first accounting period.

Q- How do I create fixed assets master data?
Click here to get a copy of the Training Manual. If you need further assistance, please contact the Financial Analysis and Reporting Unit.

Q- Can I print one report for all assets entered?
Go to SAP – Fixed Assets Folder and input your cost center, then print the “Asset Balances Report”. The transaction Code is:  S_ALR_87011966 - Asset Balances -> Balance Lists -> Asset Balances -> ... by Cost Center”

Q- How do I fill the fixed Asset Disposal Form to remove surplus?
To remove surplus equipment and supplies, you must complete Fixed Asset (FX) Disposal Form. You can get the form from the Inventory Control Unit in the Office of Supply Chain Management and Business Support. The form should be completed with the custodian name and number, inventory number (if applicable), the item classification, serial number, location, condition code, reason for disposition, original value and current value.

Q- If no fixed asset number exists, how can I request a new one?
If there is no inventory number on a piece of equipment, it should appear on the departmental list of fixed assets. Then, the department can call the Inventory Control Unit in the
Office of Supply Chain Management and Business Support and request for a new printed asset number (asset tag). Upon providing the new tag, you can tag it on to the asset.

Account Payables

Q- What are the responsibilities of the account payables office?  
• The account payables office is responsible for receiving and processing all payment requests presented in compliance with the University rules and regulations.
• The account payables office ensures that expenditures are allowable and adequately documented.
• The account payables office is responsible for ensuring the use of correct SAP account code.
• The account payables office is responsible for administering the Egyptian tax withholding and fiscal stamps.

Q- What is the payment request?
The payment request is the only document acceptable to process a payment and should be supported by credible approved documents.

Q- What is the difference between cash imprest and cash advance?
• Cash imprest is an amount of money entrusted to a full-time University employee, for a given period, to be used for the acquisition of minor supplies and services (non-personal).

• Cash advance is a payment made to a full-time University employee in advance and due to some University business-related events or purposes (local or international). Cash advances should be settled within two weeks after the event for which the advance was issued.

Q- What is the meaning of encumbrance?
Encumbrance is a budget action. It is a reduction to an expenditure budget line item as a result of a commitment for provision of goods and/or services. The encumbered amount is transferred to an expense upon the final settlement of the transaction.

Travel Accounting

Q- What are the approvals needed to submit a request for registration in a conference, travel authorization and per diem application?
You should get your department head and area head or dean’s approvals.

Q- From where can I get the per diem rate of a certain destination?
You can get it from the travel unit at the controller's office, provost's office or deans' offices.

Q- What are the documents needed to process my per diem payment?
You should submit a general payment request secured with earmarked funds, to be attached to an approved Per Diem Form and a copy of the conference brochure.

Q- Should I do anything when I return?
An accounting for Per Diem Form must be submitted within seven working days along with the boarding passes and a copy of the e-ticket as an evidence of travel dates and itinerary.

Q- Where can I find a soft copy of the Travel Authorization Form, Per Diem Form or Accounting for Per Diem Form?
You can find these forms on the Travel Office website.  

Student Accounting

Q- How can I get my invoice for tuition to pay?
New students have the acceptance letter with the total amount and the method of payment stated on it. Returning students have more than one option; either to print the account summary and pay in any of the selected branches of the Commercial International Bank (CIB) or to visit the Office of Student Accounting to get a copy of their bills.

Q- What are the methods of payments?
Please refer to the registrar's website.

Q- What are the deadlines for payments?
Please refer to the Academic Calendar.

Q- I have a financial hold on my account. What do I need to do in order to remove it?
Visit the student accounting office to get your invoice and proceed to pay at the Commercial International Bank at AUC New Cairo branch.

Q-I have a financial hold and don’t have the required amount of money to clear it?
You can visit Office of Student Financial Affairs and Scholarships and fill in a petition form. If it is approved by the director of student financial affairs and scholarships, bring it in to the student accounting office to remove the hold.

Q- I have a credit balance on my account. How do I get my refund?
If you have a credit balance on your account, please visit the student accounting office to complete a refund form. You will receive your refund within three-five business days.



Q- When do the assistants and fellows get their monthly payments?
The deadline for receiving the approved payment request at the payroll office is the 15th of every month. The pay date is the sixth of the following month. Any payment requests received after the 15th will be processed a month later.


Q- I have an approval for a research/conference grant. How do I get my payment?
A request for disbursement should be submitted by your department with all the required approvals, to the attention of Mohamed El Nahhas at the payroll unit. Your check will be processed within one week.

Q- I am an adjunct faculty member and have payroll-related questions. Who should I contact?
For all your questions, please contact Ahmed Nashed at the payroll unit

Grants Accounting


Q- What fund should be used with the WBSs of the grants?
If the sponsor of the grant is a federal sponsor (funded by U.S. government), the fund to be used is 10910000, and if the sponsor is non-federal, the fund to be used is 10900000, and 10920000 for the cost shared WBSs.


Q- From where can I display a breakdown of each grant on SAP?
From the screen CJ20N, the main WBS should be inserted in the field called “Project Definition.” The same screen can provide the user with important data i.e. The cost center that hosts the WBS, functional area, currency of the project, as well as the name of the PI in some updated projects.

Q- Is the WBS considered a multi-year project?
Yes, WBSs are multi-year projects and the user can open the WBS from inception to date in order to read the accumulated expenses and obtain the final balance of the budget.

Q- Should the user use the cost center when trying to make a fund reservation?
No, the user should insert only the WBS, fund and GL code along with the amount that needs to be paid.

Q- What are the main screens on SAP that can provide the users with information about their project?
* ZFM05 shows the budget, the actual expenses and the balance left over for each project.
* CJ20N shows the breakdown of each main WBS and the data correlated with that WBS as mentioned above in point number two.