U.S. Veterans GI Bill Benefits

AUC students can only use The Post-9/11 GI-Bill CHAPTER 33, Title 38 U.S.C to pay for a degree-seeking program of study, i.e. a BA or MA or the PhD degree. You cannot use the GI-Bill to pay for an Arabic Language Instruction certificate or a diploma-granting program.

AUC Programs Approved by the Veteran Affairs

Construction Engineering, PhD
Environmental Engineering, PhD
 Egyptology and Coptology, MA
 Political Science, MA
International Comparative Law – LLM, MA
English and Comparative Literature, BA
Political Science, BA
Accounting, BA

The Veterans Affairs  will pay your tuition and fees but no more than their annual limit up to $26,381.37 (August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2023). Tuition and fees payment that is paid to your school on your behalf.

Veteran Affairs Certification Process at AUC

  • You must be accepted to a program of study leading to a degree and have confirmed enrollment.
  • The applicant is expected to provide evidence of all education completed after high school as part of the University’s admissions process.
  • If you are admitted to a program that has not been previously approved the AUC certifying official will send to the VA a request for approval of that program for you. This approval process could take up to 6 months.
  • Upon receipt of the VA’s approval of the program, your benefits are certified by the AUC certifying official providing details about your enrollment per semester. The process could take up to six weeks for the VA to process the certification.
  • We will also inform AUC student accounts to provide VA deferment/ protection on your account and your courses should not get deleted unless you have an outstanding balance from a previous term.


Chapter 33
Post 9/11 GI Bill

First Time 
Using Benefits and
Transfer Students

Submit to AUC:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (C.O.E)
  • Your full name
  • Social Security number
  • AUC student ID number 
  • Copy of your admissions acceptance letter showing the program that you are admitted to.
  • Term request for certification (Fall and/or Spring semester)
  • Number of credits you are planning to register for during the fall and spring semester of the academic year in question
  • Transfer Credits: If you have been awarded transfer credits please provide email correspondence from the Transfer Unit at the Registrar with the final credit evaluation

Who is Eligible?

  • You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001; or
  • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001.


Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Period of Eligibility

  • You may receive up to 36 months of entitlement.
  • You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

Important Information

  • Veterans/dependents must certify online every semester they choose to use their benefits. You must be enrolled in classes and have your class schedule finalized beforehand.
  • The Veteran Affairs (VA) will only certify programs that AUC has listed in their system.
  • In order to keep full time status (12 credit hours in fall/spring for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours in fall/spring for graduate students) you must maintain full time credit requirements throughout each term.
  • Maintain cumulative GPA above 2.0 and per term to prevent suspension of benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Information

Ania Rejman
Financial Aid

New York Office