Planning Before Advising and Registration
Your responsibility before the advising/registration period:
- Clear your hold(s) if you have any under the student menu on Banner Self-Service (BSS) prior to the advising/registration period. A hold on your screen will not allow you to register for courses
- View your degree evaluation on BSS for students the following catalog prior to fall 2013 and view your degree audit on DegreeWorks for those following catalogs fall 2013 and onwards. This report includes the courses you have completed, their grades, the courses for which you are currently registered and your remaining course requirements
- Make sure to check this report before advising/registration for winter and spring 2020 to ensure that you are aware of all graduation requirements
- Check your earned hours from your unofficial transcript on the BSS. You need this information in order to know your online registration day
- If you are planning to take an overload, fill the overload form (undergraduates) and submit it online
Overload requests for spring 2020 will be available during the following dates:
- November 24 - December 4, 2019
- January 8 - February 2, 2020
- Only junior and senior students are allowed to request an overload
- The Office of the Registrar will not accept overload forms submitted by freshman or sophomore students
- Students have to be in good academic standing and should have a valid reason for the overload
- The decision will be sent to your email account within three to four working days
Your responsibility during the advising/registration period:
Take an appointment with your academic advisor in the department of your major. Make sure to have a copy of your degree audit or needed courses with you and secure the approval of your academic advisor on the courses selected.
Plan your courses for winter and spring 2020 with your academic adviser while considering the following:
- Follow your degree program requirements.
- Complete the core curriculum requirements and the Arabic language and literature requirements before your senior year.
- Make sure you avoid the time conflict between the courses you are selecting.
- Make sure you have satisfied the prerequisites for each course you select.
- Check the exam schedule to make sure that only one course is scheduled for each examination period. Keep in mind that if you choose two or three courses with final examinations scheduled for the same day, no special arrangements can be made to reschedule any of these exams.
- Observe the prerequisite requirements and permission of instructor forms required for certain courses. Secure the department chair's approval and the instructor’s permission if the prerequisite is waived or permission is granted on a waiving a prerequisite requirement form or consent of instructor form. Both forms are available at your department of major.
- Proceed to the department assistant to place an “override” on the system. You will not be able to process registration for that course if you do not complete this step.
- When registering/dropping a course linked to a lab or two concurrent courses, make sure to type in both CRNs before submitting changes.
- Make sure to read the guidelines thoroughly if you are planning to take an independent study course, obtain the required approvals on the Independent Study Form within the normal deadline for registration and submit to the Office of the Registrar.
- Make sure to plan for four alternative courses/sections in case places are not available in your original plan of courses.
- Check that your department of major has released your advising hold before your online registration date on BSS.