Military and Visa
The Egyptian government recognizes you as an Egyptian citizen if your father is an Egyptian citizen (blood citizenship). Any prospective male student residing outside Egypt should contact the Egyptian embassy or consulate to clarify his military obligations before arriving in Egypt.
If you are an Egyptian/dual national male student, the Egyptian government recognizes you as an Egyptian. You are entitled to a six-month stay in Egypt as an Egyptian citizen, without any military service clarifications or obligations. If you exceed the six-month stay, you have to process the military service exemption for Egyptian/dual national in person, otherwise, you will not be allowed to leave the country until you clarify your military service status and issue the military service exemption.
According to the Egyptian Law No. 260 enacted in 1960 and amended by Law No. 11 enacted in 1965, all Egyptian males must apply for the national ID card within 30 days of their 16th birthday.
Procedure for obtaining your national ID card:
- Fill out the application form for the national ID card.
- Submit the form to the Office of the Registrar to be verified and stamped.
- Proceed to the Civil Registration Office (Segel Madani) the nearest to your residence, and submit the stamped form and your official birth certificate.
- A national ID card will be issued to you.
According to the Egyptian Military Service Law No. 127, Article (8), enacted in 1980, all undergraduate Egyptian male students must identify their military service status within 30 days of their 19th birthday.
According to the Egyptian Military Service Law No. 127, Article (45), enacted in 1980, all graduate Egyptian male students must submit a photocopy of their military service certificates or forms.
Procedure for obtaining your military service card and identifying your military service status:
- At the beginning of your 19th year, proceed to the same civil registration office that issued your national ID card and follow their instructions to obtain your military service card (Betaka 6 Gond) free of charge. The deadline is in April.
- Make sure that all the information included in the military service card is identical to your national ID card.
- Follow the steps below to identify your military service status:
Deferring Your Military Service:
- Obtain a "Namouzag 2/3 Gond" from your military service area.
- Submit it along with your military service card to the Military and Visa Services Unit, Office of the Registrar between 9 am and 1 pm, Sundays through Thursday, in the Administration Building, room P041, AUC New Cairo.
- The Military and Visa Service Unit will process your military service status.
Military Service Exemption
- Students who have the right to get an exemption from the military service (final, temporary or being dual national ) will have to process the exemption in person and then submit the original exemption certificate to the Military and Visa Service Unit, Office of the Registrar.
Part-time male Egyptian students are not eligible to receive the enrollment certification necessary to defer their military service or to use it for travel abroad.
- If you are a non-Egyptian student, you must have a valid passport from your country of citizenship in order to travel to Egypt. The passport should be valid for at least six months after the planned return to your home country.
- For entry to Egypt, you must obtain a tourist visa from the Egyptian embassy or consulate in your home country. Tourist visas are valid for one to six months and are nonrenewable.
- Enter Egypt with a tourist visa.
- Register your name at the nearest neighborhood police station within the first seven days of your arrival. If you reside at the AUC Zamalek Building, the resident assistant will help you. If you reside off-campus housing, the business support office can help you with this process. Depending on where your classes are held, take your passport and your complete address written on a piece of paper to the business support office in the Administration Building, room G023, AUC New Cairo or the Main Building, room 424, AUC Tahrir Square, between 9:00 am and 2:30 pm.
- If you are an American, Canadian or EU citizen, you should not register upon arrival in Egypt.
- Without an appropriate visa from the Egyptian government, you will be subject to deportation.
- Within 30 days of arrival in Cairo, you must complete the application process to obtain a student residence visa.
- The student residence visa is renewed on a semester basis.
- Non-Egyptian full-time students are entitled to University certification to obtain a student residence visa. Full-time status for undergraduate students (degree-seeking and nondegree) is 12 credit hours and for graduate students (degree-seeking and nondegree) is nine credit hours.
- If your parents are permanent residents of Egypt, you are not required to obtain a student residence visa provided that you are still a dependent of your parent.
- If you are an Egyptian/dual national male student or your father is Egyptian, the Egyptian government recognizes you as a citizen of Egypt. You are entitled to a six-month stay in Egypt as an Egyptian citizen without any military service clarifications or obligations. If you exceed the six-month stay, you have to process the military service exemption for Egyptian/dual national in person, otherwise, you will not be allowed to leave the country until you clarify your military service status and issue the military service exemption.
- AUC is not responsible for the denial of a student residence visa by the Egyptian government.
Procedure for Applying for a Student Residence Visa
The process begins when you fill out the International Student Data Form attached to the AUC application for admission and submit it to the Student Service Center with a photocopy of your passport at least three months prior to your planned arrival in Egypt.
After Arriving in Egypt
- Complete your course registration as a full-time student and process your payment for the semester.
- Proceed to the business support office in the Administration Building, room G023, AUC New Cairo or the Main Building, room 424, AUC Tahrir Square to get the Study Approval Confirmation Form
- Download the Student Visa Enrollment Certificate Request Form.
- Submit the student visa enrollment request, which is free of charge, with a copy of your passport, in addition to the Study Approval Confirmation Form, to the Military and Visa Services Unit, Office of the Registrar between 9 am and 2 pm in the Administration Building, room P041, AUC New Cairo.
- One week after your submission of the request, proceed to the business support office to submit the following:
- Your passport
- One passport size photo (required)
- The student visa fee (either LE 62.10 or LE 92.10. Refer to the business support office for more details)
Military and Student Visa Unit, Office of the Registrar
Office of Student Affairs in New York
tel 1.212.730.8800 ext. 24