The SRC Library is a specialized research library in the Social Research Center of the American University in Cairo. The library houses materials related to applied social science research in Egypt and the Arab world. Subject areas include population and demography, reproductive health, women and children, and agriculture. The library has over 6000 books, periodicals, bulletins, and papers, including SRC staff publications.
The SRC library has an extensive collection of staff publications. Copies of some publications may be ordered by contacting the SRC librarian at email@example.com
Open Sunday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 3:30 pm
The SRC library provides services to two groups of users:
- SRC staff
- Outside users - AUC staff and students and SRC visitors.
The library provides on-site borrowing privileges for all users.
Check-out privileges are limited to SRC staff only.
Outside users may make photocopies for a charge.
Online search of computerized databases
The Librarian can assist in online access and search of computerized databases.
Users can directly access the AUC Libraries Online Catalog through the IBIS information system. IBIS is an interactive online information system providing access to all resources available in the AUC libraries in both English and Arabic.
The AUC Libraries web site also offers access to a range of other computerized databases, some of which are accessible only to the AUC community.
On-site borrowing of library materials
During regular library hours, the SRC library is open for on-site use by SRC staff, AUC staff and students, and SRC visitors. A reading and study area is provided in the Center.
Users should contact the Librarian for assistance. Non-SRC staff must leave their AUC ID card with the Librarian while using library materials.
Materials may not be kept overnight and must be returned to the library before the end of regular library hours.
Borrowing library materials
Only SRC staff may borrow library materials.
- SRC staff must present a valid ID card each time an item is requested.
- Items may be borrowed for 14 days.
- Up to 5 items may be borrowed at a time.
- The Librarian must check out all items.
- Users are responsible for all items borrowed under their ID.
- Items may be returned in the Return Books slot.
- At the request of a staff member, the Librarian can place a 'hold' on a checked-out item. When the item is available, a notice will be sent to the staff member, and the book will be held for pick-up for 7 days at the library.
- Items may be renewed on or before the due date, provided there is no hold on the item.
- Users with an overdue item or unpaid fine will not be allowed to borrow additional materials.
- The Librarian will send out overdue notices.
Late returns will be charged a fine as follows:
- 50 PT per working day for the first 10 days.
- 150 PT per working day after the first 10 days.
- A maximum fine of 50 LE.
Lost items will be charged as follows:
- Fine charges plus the replacement cost plus an overhead charge of 50 LE.
- The library will consider an item 'Lost' after it is overdue by at least 60 working days.
The Library provides photocopying services for outside users at a charge of 20 PT per page.
Photocopying is limited to making a single copy of one article per periodical issue, or one contribution per copyrighted collection. Extracts from any other copyrighted work may not exceed 10% of the whole.
Library orientation and training
Library orientation or training sessions can be arranged by contacting the Librarian at 2797.6944 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Awareness (for SRC Staff only)
The Librarian maintains a list of SRC staff members and their research interests, so that they may be contacted when the library receives new materials of potential interest.
The Librarian maintains a bulletin board to publicize new additions to the library.