Campus Conversation: Welcome Fall 2022
The first Campus Conversation of Fall 2022 took place last Thursday, September 22. Here are the main takeaways:
- President Ahmad Dallal highlighted five main priority areas for AUC:
- Launching a University-wide initiative, "Programs of the Future," to rethink academic programs, with the introduction of new interdisciplinary programs that address emerging trends
- Enhancing the level of service for students not only on an academic level, but also in terms of student life
- Reintegrating AUC Tahrir Square into the campus culture of the University
- Building connections with Egypt through partnering with national institutions and spearheading academic programs that cater to community needs
- Fine-tuning operations to model integrity and efficiency
- As of Tuesday, September 27, the self-check tool will no longer be required to access campus. It will only be used to report symptoms.
- Masking is now optional on AUC campuses and buses.
- Visitors must still provide proof of vaccination, and athletic facilities will be open to all AUC community members.
- It has been officially confirmed that an AUC delegation will attend COP27 this November to showcase the University’s climate change research and initiatives.
- The Mental Health and Well-Being Initiative task force will be working this fall to collect community ideas, evaluate current support mechanisms and recommend measures.
- The Office of Human Resources has introduced a new competency-based performance management system for staff members modeled on best practices at American universities. Training sessions for the new system will be held in English and Arabic this week.
- In response to questions:
- Visitors are now allowed in the dorms.
- AUC will not lose any student due to an inability to pay tuition.
- Rewarding employee performance will be through a merit system, not promotions and restructuring, to avoid unnecessary expansion of the workforce. This is in line with best practices of academic institutions.
- The University is undertaking an initiative to assess salary scales.