Before taking any courses for transfer credit please visit the Transfer Credit Unit in the Office of the Registrar. You can make an appointment online. All courses need transfer approval before attending another institution. If the semesters or sessions overlap at the schools, the transfer credit will not be approved.
General Rules for Transfer Credit Award
- Credits completed more than five years prior to enrollment at The American University in Cairo are not transferable.
- Transcripts from other schools must be sent directly to The American University in Cairo. AUC cannot accept transcripts directly from the student.
- Before leaving the prior institution, you should request an official transcript to be mailed directly to the following address:
Office of the Registrar
The American University in Cairo
P.O. Box 74
New Cairo 11835, EGYPT
If the institution electronically sends transcripts, they should use the following email address: email@example.com.
Students who are transferring from accredited post-secondary institutions and have taken university-level courses:
The coursework must be taken at a post-secondary institution that is recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education or the Supreme Council of Universities for institutions operating outside the United States. Post-secondary institutions operating in the United States must be accredited by a regional accrediting organization.
Transfer of credits is only considered for university-level courses with a grade that is comparable to at least a C grade or higher at The American University in Cairo. Transfer courses from the United States that use a standard grading system require a minimum of a C grade (a C- grade or lower will not be eligible for transfer).
- Grades of "Pass", "Credit" or "Satisfactory" are not accepted for transfer credits.
- Transferred credits will be added to your earned hours, but grades will not be computed in the grade point average of your program at AUC.
- Transfer of credits toward equivalent courses at 3000 to 4000 levels within a student major is limited in accordance with the residency requirements rule at AUC.
- Credits earned to satisfy the requirements of a previous degree are NOT considered for transfer credit.
Students who have completed, prior to joining the University, collegiate-level studies with a grade that is comparable to at least a B at AUC:
The University grants up to a total of 30 transfer credits for the IB diploma, using higher level academic subjects with grades of 5, 6 or 7 (out of 7) and/or grants up to 15 credits of lower-division general elective transfer credits for the completion of the IB diploma with a minimum total point of 30. AUC does not grant transfer credits for subsidiary level subjects. Click here for IB equivalency list.
The College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examination
The University grants transfer credits for academic subjects with scores of 4 or 5 (out of 5). Click here for AP equivalency list.
Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife – Abitur
The University grants up to 30 transfer credits for academic subjects with scores of 10 or more (out of 15). Click here for Abitur equivalency list.
French Baccalaureate II
The University grants up to 30 transfer credits for academic subjects with advanced level scores of 14 or more (out of 20). Click here for French Baccalaureate equivalency list.
British Certificates (GCE Advanced Level)
The University grants transfer credits for A-level subjects with grades of A or B. The University does not grant transfer credit for subjects completed at the AS, AO or O levels. Click here for GCE (advanced level) equivalency list.
Transfer Credits After Matriculation
After matriculation at AUC, the University transfers a maximum of 36 hours of semester credit.
A maximum of 12 transfer credit hours of the permissible 36 hours will be allowed for courses completed in any one summer session, including summer at AUC.
The University transfers a maximum of nine credits for courses completed through correspondence and/or distance learning. Students may not enroll in such courses offered by other institutions during the academic term in which they are registered for courses at AUC. If the semesters or sessions overlap at the schools, the transfer credit will not be approved.