The Faculty Institute of Learning and Teaching Program
The Faculty Institute of Learning and Teaching (FILT) aims to create a learning community to cultivate a cultural shift towards innovative pedagogy and quality learning and teaching at AUC. This immersive track encourages faculty to become more reflective and innovative in their teaching via building knowledge and expertise, applying new approaches, assessing success, and reflecting in a supportive environment.
The FILT is an internationally accredited program via the Educational Developers Caucus (EDC), a body in Canada that accredits faculty development programs, part of the Society of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education.
Faculty will become active members of a supportive learning community of peers and be able to seek, benefit from, and reciprocate such support throughout their careers.
We hope that by the end of this program, the faculty will have achieved the following outcomes:
- Enhance their higher education teaching skills at AUC, including applying the liberal arts philosophy to their teaching
- Design learner-centered courses that include effective learning outcomes, aligned activities and formative and summative assessments that help students achieve those intended learning outcomes
- Choose and use appropriate methods of receiving formative feedback on their teaching from CLT, their students, and their peers
- Understand how various CLT resources can benefit them, decide how and when to use CLT resources and seek support and collaboration where appropriate
- Become habitually reflective practitioners, able to apply innovation, including digitally enhanced innovation, in their teaching and assess evidence of its effectiveness
- Prepare a strong teaching portfolio
- Enhance their digital literacies, and become better able to select the most appropriate technology that will support their pedagogical purpose