Tarek Hatem is professor of Entrepreneurship and Strategy and the director of the Entrepreneurship Unit in the school of business, American University in Cairo.. Dr. Hatem was the Associate Dean for Executive Education and a Senior Research Fellow at Dubai School of Government (2007-2009). In 1997 he was a Visiting Professor at the University of Colorado and in 2003 a visiting scholar at the University of Maryland. He is a Certified Management Consultant from the Institute of Management Consultancy in the United Kingdom
Hatem is quite active in the academic world with many intellectual contributions through journal publications, conference presentations , and membership in several Editorial boards . Hatem combines academic and practical experience, He served as a member of the board of several companies including Orascom Construction Industry, IQ Management Consultancy Group, Egyptian Sun for Agricultural Development, and ElRashad Asset Management Holding Company. He was the founding chair of the Management Consultants Association in Egypt . Currently he is involved in many NGOs , as he is the chairman for Hatem’s foundation for Development, and the Egyptian Japanese friendship Association, He is also a founding member of the Board of Egyptian Network for Integrated Development.
He has served as a member of several advisory boards to the prime minister, ministry of Industry and the Central bank of Egypt.
Hatem received his Ph.D. in 1986 from University of Colorado, U.S.A. in strategic management and his M.A. in 1981 from the same university in Public Administration Dr. Hatem holds a bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Cairo University, Egypt in 1979
- Hatem, Tarek and Elham Metwally, “Key Determinants of Successful Implementation of IT in International Commercial Bank (ICB): The Case of Egypt.” In Salam Abdallah and Fayez Albadri’s (Eds), Cases on ICT Acceptance, Investment and Organization: Cultural Practices and Values in the Arab World. Forthcoming.
- Hatem, Tarek. “Strategic Planning Manual for Government Organizations (2008), published by the Dubai School of Government, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Hatem, Tarek. Siwa Sustainable Development Initiative. United Nations Development Programme, at Growing Inclusive Markets website http://www.growinginclusivemarkets.org/search/tarek%20hatem?ordering= searchphrase=all, 2007
- Hatem, Tarek. Sekem: An Egyptian Initiative. United Nations Development Programme,
- at Growing Inclusive Markets website http://www.growinginclusivemarkets.org/search/tarek%20hatem?ordering=&se..., 2007
- Hatem, Tarek. Lydec: Providing Electricity, Water & Sanitation to Casablanca’s Shanty Towns. United Nations Development Programme, at Growing Inclusive Markets website http://www.growinginclusivemarkets.org/search/tarek%20hatem?ordering=&se..., 2007
- Hatem, Tarek, "Best Practices and Innovation in Governance and Public Administration: The Case of Telecom Egypt." Accepted for presentation in the Eastern Academy of Management-International (EAMI) 2007, Program of the ’MANAGING IN A GLOBAL ECONOMY XII' Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 24 - 28 June 2007.
- Hatem, Tarek. Human Resources Management in Egypt. In Pawan Budhwar and Kamel Mellahi (Eds.), Managing Human Resources in the Middle-East, Part of Global HRM Series, 2006. United Kingdom: Routledge.
- Hatem, Tarek. Best Practices and Innovation in Governance and Public Administration: The Case of Telecom Egypt. Harvard University, the Government Innovators Network. Retrieved at Ash Institute's online portal, http://www.innovations.harvard.edu/, June 2005.
- Strategic management for public and non-profit organizations
- Entrepreneurship in emerging markets
- Micro-finance and small business management
- Social entrepreneurship