- Position: Associate Professor
- Department: Department of Educational Studies
- Email: email@example.com
Teklu Abate Bekele (PhD) is an associate professor of International and Comparative Education (ICE) at the Department of Educational Studies, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, The American University in Cairo (AUC). Prior to joining the AUC, Bekele worked in the capacities of Research Associate, Lecturer and Senior Lecturer of ICE at the Department of Education, the University of Oslo, Norway. Bekele teaches international and comparative education and research methodology graduate and undergraduate courses. His research interest intersects international and comparative higher education with a focus on Africa. Bekele is also a member of ICE societies and serves as an editorial member in international academic journals.
For nearly a decade, Bekele has been studying the field of international and comparative higher education, employing qualitative and quantitative methodologies, and including policy and practice dimensions. Bekele’s study on the contextual production of knowledge received The 2019 Outstanding Author Contribution Emerald Literati Award on International Perspectives in Education and Society. His research projects include the following.
- Emerging University-Society Engagements in Africa (2022-2025)
- Technology Integration in Higher Education in Africa: Philosophical, Theoretical, and Policy-Practice Perspectives (co-edited Special Issue in the British Journal of Educational Technology (2022-2023)
- The SDGs as Mechanisms of Educational Governance in Africa (2022-2023)
- Strategic planning and emerging university-society engagements (2019-2021)
- Scientization of international development (2020-2021)