Teklu Abate Bekele is an Associate Professor of International and Comparative Education (ICE) at the Department of Educational Studies, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, The American University in Cairo (AUC). Prior to joining the AUC, Bekele worked in the capacities of Research Associate, Lecturer and Senior Lecturer of ICE at the Department of Education, the University of Oslo, Norway. Bekele teaches international and comparative education and research methodology graduate courses. International and comparative higher education is his research area. Bekele is also a member of ICE societies and serves as an editorial member in international academic journals.
- Bekele, T. A. (2022). Boosting African doctoral capacity needs national partnerships. Times Higher Education.
- Bekele, T. A., Karkouti, I. & Amponash, S. (2022, in press). Core conceptual features of blended learning in higher education: Policy implications. Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 30.
- Amponsah, S. & Bekele T. A. (2022). Strategies for including visually impaired students in online learning. Education and Information Technologies.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Covid-19 and prospect of online learning in higher education in Africa. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education,13(5), 241-251.
- Bekele, T. A., Cossa, J., & Barat, S. (2021). Toward building strategic international university-society partnerships in Africa. Modern Africa: Politics, History, and Society journal, 9(2), 82-115.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Scientization of international educational development. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 5(3), 1-5.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Problematizing scientization in international organizations. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 5(3), 6-22.
- Bekele, T. A., Toprak, M., Karkouti, I., & Wolsey, T. (2021). Regional intergovernmental organizations in the Global South: Emerging education policy nodes between the Global and the National. Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 29(130), 1-21.
- Karkouti, M. I., Wolsey, D. T., Toprak, M., & Bekele, T. A. (2021) Empowering teachers during refugee crises: Social support they need to thrive. Teaching and Teacher Education, 107, 1-9.
- Bekele, T. A. & Ofoyuru, D. T. (2021). Strategic planning in African universities: Emerging university-society engagements. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education, 13 (1), 151-180.
- Bekele, T. A. & Ibrahim, B. (2020). Internationalization of higher education in Egypt: Modalities and policy provisions. In Juliet Thondhlana, Evelyn Chiyevo Garwe, Hans de Wit, Jocelyne Gacel-Ávila, Futao Huang & Wondwosen Tamrat (Eds.), The Bloomsbury Handbook of the Internationalization of Higher Education in the Global South. Bloomsbury Academic, London. https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-bloomsbury-handbook-of-the-internationalization-of-higher-education-in-the-global-south-9781350139251/
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Exploring emancipatory perspectives in internationalization. University World News, 14 November
- Karkouti, M. I., & Bekele, T. A. (2019). Human factor behind integrating technology into learning. University World News, 15 June.
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Trends in higher education in Egypt. Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies, Bloomsbury Publishing, London
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Funding of higher education in Egypt. Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies, Bloomsbury Publishing, London.
- Bekele, T. A. (2018). Context in comparative and international education studies. In A. W. Wiseman (Ed.), Annual Review of Comparative and International Education 2017: International Perspectives on Education and Society 34 (275–299). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Bekele, T. A. (2010). Motivation and satisfaction impact of educational technologies: A Review. Educational Technology and Society, 13 (2), 116-127.
- Bekele, T. A. (2009). Cognitive skills in Internet-supported learning environments in higher education: Research issues. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 3(4), 397-419.
- Bekele, T. A. & Menchaca, M. P. (2010). Critical thinking and problem-solving skills in blended learning. Journal of the World Universities Forum, 3(1), 105-128.
- Bekele, T. A. & Menchaca, M. P. (2008). Research on Internet-supported learning: A review. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 9(4), 373–406.
- Menchaca, M. P. & Bekele, T. A. (2008). Learner and instructor identified success factors in distance education. Distance Education, 29(3), 231-252.
- June 2009: PhD in Education, University of Oslo, Norway
- June 2004: MPhil in International and Comparative Education, University of Oslo
- July 1998: BA in Educational Psychology, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
For nearly a decade, Bekele has been studying the field of international and comparative higher education, employing qualitative and quantitative methodologies, and including policy and practice dimensions. Bekele’s study on the contextual production of knowledge received The 2019 Outstanding Author Contribution Emerald Literati Award on International Perspectives in Education and society.
Research in progress includes the following:
- Emerging University-Society Engagements in Africa (my major research project on the societal relevance and significance of higher education)
- Technology Integration in Higher Education in Africa: Philosophical, Theoretical, and Policy-Practice Perspectives (A Special Section in the British Journal of Educational Technology to be published in September 2023. I and Dr Samuel Amponsah from the University of Ghana are the guest editors)
- The SDGs as Mechanisms of Educational Governance in Africa (an article which is part of a journal Special Issue on the SDGs and global educational governance, expected publication in November 2023)