Teklu Abate Bekele is a PhD holder and an associate professor of International and Comparative Education (ICE) at the Department of Educational Studies, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, The American University in Cairo (AUC). Prior to joining the AUC, Bekele worked in the capacities of research associate, lecturer and senior lecturer of ICE at the Department of Education, the University of Oslo, Norway. Bekele taught introductory and advanced courses in international and comparative education and research methodology. He also serves as an editorial member in international professional associations and academic journals.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Covid-19 and prospect of online learning in higher education in Africa. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education, 13(5), 241-251.
- Bekele, T. A., Cossa, J., & Barat, S. (2021). Toward building strategic international university-society partnerships in Africa. Modern Africa: Politics, History, and Society journal, 9(2), 82-115.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Scientization of international educational development. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 5(3), 1-5.
- Bekele, T. A. (2021). Problematizing scientization in international organizations. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education, 5(3), 6-22.
- Bekele, T. A., Toprak, M., Karkouti, I., & Wolsey, T. (2021). Regional intergovernmental organizations in the Global South: Emerging education policy nodes between the Global and the National. Educational Policy Analysis Archives, 29(130), 1-21.
- Karkouti, M. I., Wolsey, D. T., Toprak, M., & Bekele, T. A. (2021) Empowering teachers during refugee crises: Social support they need to thrive. Teaching and Teacher Education, 107, 1-9.
- Bekele, T. A. & Ofoyuru, D. T. (2021). Strategic planning in African universities: Emerging university-society engagements. Journal of Comparative and International Higher Education, 13 (1), 151-180.
- Bekele, T. A. & Ibrahim, B. (2020). Internationalization of higher education in Egypt: Modalities and policy provisions. In Juliet Thondhlana, Evelyn Chiyevo Garwe, Hans de Wit, Jocelyne Gacel-Ávila, Futao Huang & Wondwosen Tamrat (Eds.), The Bloomsbury Handbook of the Internationalization of Higher Education in the Global South. Bloomsbury Academic, London. https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-bloomsbury-handbook-of-the-internationalization-of-higher-education-in-the-global-south-9781350139251/
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Exploring emancipatory perspectives in internationalization. University World News, 14 November
- Karkouti, M. I., & Bekele, T. A. (2019). Human factor behind integrating technology into learning. University World News, 15 June.
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Trends in higher education in Egypt. Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies, Bloomsbury Publishing, London
- Bekele, T. A. (2019). Funding of higher education in Egypt. Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies,Bloomsbury Publishing, London.
- Bekele, T. A. (2018). Context in comparative and international education studies. In A. W. Wiseman (Ed.), Annual Review of Comparative and International Education 2017: International Perspectives on Education and Society34 (275–299). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Bekele, T. A. (2010). Motivation and satisfaction impact of educational technologies: A Review. Educational Technology and Society, 13 (2), 116-127.
- Bekele, T. A. (2009). Cognitive skills in Internet-supported learning environments in higher education: Research issues. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research, 3(4), 397-419.
- Bekele, T. A. & Menchaca, M. P. (2010). Critical thinking and problem-solving skills in blended learning. Journal of the World Universities Forum, 3(1), 105-128.
- Bekele, T. A. & Menchaca, M. P. (2008). Research on Internet-supported learning: A review. Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 9(4), 373–406.
- Menchaca, M. P. & Bekele, T. A. (2008). Learner and instructor identified success factors in distance education. Distance Education, 29(3), 231-252.
- June 2009: PhD in Education, University of Oslo, Norway
- June 2004: MPhil in International and Comparative Education, University of Oslo
- July 1998: BA in Educational Psychology, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
For nearly a decade, Bekele has been studying the field of international and comparative higher education, employing qualitative and quantitative methodologies, and including policy and practice dimensions. Bekele’s study on the contextual production of knowledge received The 2019 Outstanding Author Contribution Emerald Literati award on International Perspectives in Education and society. His active research areas include the following.
- Emerging university-society engagements: Indicators of the societal relevance and significance of higher education in Africa
- Regional intergovernmental organizations and educational development in the Global South
- Digital technologies in learning and teaching
- Emerging knowledge production cultures and context analysis