- Position: Professor
- Department: Department of Biology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Suher Zada is a professor of biology and immunology at The American University in Cairo (AUC). Zada has over 50 years of academic, administrative and research experience both in Egypt and abroad. Keen towards understanding and solving problems related to the immune system, like infectious diseases with common public health threats in Egypt and worldwide, using advanced and new research techniques in biotechnology, nanotechnology, and computational Studies.
Before joining AUC, Zada was appointed in 1965 to the Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, to teach science and premedical Students. She became a professor of immunology and embryology in 1989. She joined AUC as a part-time faculty in 1991, along with being at Cairo University until 1998, when she was asked to help to develop a Biology Major at AUC and come aboard as a full-time professor. The program has flourished, and the first students graduated in 2000. Zada became a tenured professor in 2004 and served as chair of the Biology Department from when it was founded (2004-2006).
- Infectious Diseases
- Cancer Research
- Drug Delivery
Use of Bio-Nanotechnology for improving the currently available therapeutics through the design and development of smart drug delivery systems "DDS" to target and treat epidemic infectious parasitic diseases, Hepatitis C virus and different types of cancer.
- Vaccines - microRNAs.
Biotechnology and bioinformatics are used to discover and validate new therapeutics, specifically RNA interference (RNAi)-based strategies and vaccines for treating such diseases.
- Cellular and Molecular Embryology - Developmental and Comparative Immunology
Current Research Projects
- Zada, S.K. (Principal Investigator) (2016- Present). Development of Natural Cytotoxic-Loaded Nanoparticles as Complementary Therapy for Liver Cancer. American University in Cairo.
- Zada, S.K. (PI), Rabie, I. (Co-PI), ElAhwany, E. (Supporting), ElHefnawy, M. (Supporting) (2012- Present). Nanoparticles as a delivery system targeting Schistosomiasis and Fascioliasis. A pilot study using nanotechnology and bioinformatics. Yousef Jameel Science and Technology Research Center “YJ-STRC” and Theodore Bilharz “TBRI”.
- Zada, S. K. (PI), ELAhwany, E. (Co-PI), Rabie, I. (Co-PI) (2011-Presnt). Different circulating markers and Micro-RNAs as novel diagnostic and therapeutic tools in HCV-induced liver fibrosis and hepatocellular carcinoma.