Sherif Abdelmohsen is the associate professor of Digital Media and Design Computing and the associate chair of the Department of Architecture. He is also the director of the Robotic Fabrication Laboratory (RFL) and the chair of the American University in Cairo (AUC) Senate Curriculum Committee. He currently serves as President of the Arab Society for Computation in Architecture, Art, and Design (ASCAAD).
His teaching responsibilities include developing the computer-aided architectural design (CAAD) curriculum, teaching courses related to parametric design, digital fabrication, and virtual reality, and leading and coordinating the Tectonics and Computational Design stream and its Senior level design studios with other colleagues in the department.
Abdelmohsen received his PhD degree in Architecture from Georgia Institute of Technology, USA (2011), and participated in design computing research and teaching at both Carnegie Mellon University and Georgia Tech. He received his MSc and BSc degrees in architectural engineering from Ain Shams University in 2004 and 2000, respectively.
Abdelmohsen has over 70 articles and book chapters published in international peer-reviewed conferences and journals. He participated as a PI, co-PI and team member in several funded research projects, amounting to a total of over $600,000. His recent research involves several topics, including the development of low-cost soft, adaptive façade systems using hygroscopic properties of wood, automated post-occupancy space management using BIM and GIS, the design and fabrication of complex facades using robotic depositing and multi-point forming, and the design, fabrication and robotic assembly of thermally responsive parametric brick wall configurations. He has also supervised and examined more than 30 MSc and PhD students working in the area of CAAD.
At the professional level, Abdelmohsen has participated in award-winning international competitions and in designing architectural projects in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Italy, Germany and Egypt. He is co-founder and managing partner at UDAAR, an international company specializing in architecture, computational design research, and smart building management solutions. He is also the honorary recipient of the Knowledge Application and Notion for Society (KANS) scientific competition (2018), the Faculty Award of Merit for Best Doctoral Presentation (2012), the Young Active Researcher Award for outstanding research activity (2013), and the ARCC/KING Medal for Excellence in Architectural and Environmental Design Research (2009).
- El-Dabaa, R., Abdelmohsen, S. (2022), Integrating Performance Indicators in the Production Rules of Shape-Shifting Grammars for Architectural Adaptive Façade Systems, Architectural Engineering and Design Management (AEDM).
- El-Dabaa, R. and Abdelmohsen, S. (2022), Deriving the Production Rules of Shape-Shifting Grammars for Adaptive Façades: The Case of Hygromorphic Thermo-bimetal Composites (HMTM), in Gero, J. (ed.), Design Computing and Cognition DCC'20, pp. 129-148, Springer, Cham.
- Abdelmohsen, S., El-Khouly, T., Mallasi, Z., Bennadji, A. (2021), Architecture in the Age of Disruptive Technologies: Transformation and Challenges, Edited Conference Proceedings, Robert Gordon University, Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and Built Environment, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK. ISBN: 978-1-907349-20-1.
- El-Mahdy, D., Gabr, H., and Abdelmohsen, S. (2021), SaltBlock as a 3D Printed Sustainable Construction Material in Hot Arid Climates, Journal of Building Engineering (JOBE), Vol. 43, 103134.
- Abdelmohsen, S. and Massoud, P. (2021), A Material-Based Computation Framework for Parametric Design Education, Open House International (OHI), Vol. 46, No. 3, 459-475. https://doi.org/10.1108/OHI-02-2021-0043.
- Ezzeldin, M., Assem, A., and Abdelmohsen, S. (2021), Automated Assessment of Architectural Spatial Layout Configurations using Fuzzy Logic, Archnet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 328-343.
- El-Dabaa, R., Abdelmohsen, S. & Mansour, Y. (2021), Programmable Passive Actuation for Adaptive Building Façade Design using Hygroscopic Properties of Wood, Wood Material Science & Engineering.
- Ibrahim, A., Abdelmohsen, S., Zayan, A. and Omar, W. (2020), Extending the Passive Actuation of Low-Tech Architectural Adaptive Systems by Integrating Hygroscopic and Thermal Properties of Wood, in Werner, L. and Koering, D. (eds.), Anthropologic: Architecture and Fabrication in the Cognitive Age, Proceedings of the 38th eCAADe International Conference, Volume 2, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany, pp. 641-650.
- Nagy, M., Mansour, Y. and Abdelmohsen, S. (2020), Multi-Objective Optimization Methods as a Decision Making Strategy, International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT), Vol. 9, Issue 3, pp. 516-522, ISSN: 2278-0181.
- Abdelmohsen, S. and Hassab, A. (2020), A Computational Approach for the Mass Customization of Materially Informed Double Curved Façade Panels, In: Holzer D., Nakapan W., Globa A. and Koh I. (eds.). “RE: Anthropocene, Design in the Age of Humans”. Proceedings of the 25th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA), Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, Vol. 1, pp. 163-172.
- Assem, A., Abdelmohsen, S. and Ezzeldin, M. (2019), Smart Management of the Reconstruction Process of Post-Conflict Cities, In Press, Archnet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 325-343.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Adriaenssens, S., El-Dabaa, R., Gabriele, S., Olivieri, L. & Teresi, L. (2019), A Multi-Physics Modeling Approach for Modeling Hygroscopic Behavior in Wood Low-Tech Architectural Adaptive Systems, Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Vol. 106, 43-53.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Adriaenssens, S., Gabriele, S., Olivieri, L., & El-Dabaa, R. (2019), Hygroscapes: Innovative Shape Shifting Facades, in Digital Wood Design: Innovative techniques of representation in Architectural Design, 1st ed. F. Bianconi, M. Filippucci, Springer International Publishing, ISBN 978-3-030-03676-8, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-03676-8_26.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Massoud, P., El-Dabaa, R., Ibrahim, A., & Mokbel, T. (2019), The Effect of Hygroscopic Design Parameters on the Programmability of Laminated Wood Composites for Adaptive Façades, in: Lee J.H. (eds) Computer-Aided Architectural Design. “Hello Culture”. CAAD Futures 2019. Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS), Vol. 1028, Springer, Singapore. Chapter 26, pp. 372-383, DOI:10.1007/978-981-13-8410-3_26.
- Abdelmohsen, S. & El-Dabaa, R. (2019), HMTM: Hygromorphic-Thermobimetal Composites as a Novel Approach to Enhance Passive Actuation of Adaptive Façades, in proceedings of the 18th CAAD Futures 2019 International Conference, Daejeon, Korea, pp. 290 – 300.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Tarabieh, K., Salem, I., El-Ghazi, Y., El-Dabaa, R., & Hassan, A. (2019), Coupling Parametric Design and Robotic Assembly Simulation to Generate Thermally Responsive Brick Walls, Proceedings of the 16thIBPSA International Conference (BS 2019), Rome, Italy, p. 3006-3013.
- Tarabieh, K., Abdelmohsen, S., El-Ghazi, Y., El-Dabaa, R., & Hassan, A. (2018), Parametric Investigation of Brick Extrusion Pattern using Thermal Simulation, Proceedings of the 4th Building Simulation and Optimization Conference (BSO 2018), Cambridge, UK, pp. 597 - 604.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Massoud, P., El-Dabaa, R., Ibrahim, A., & Mokbel, T. (2018), A Computational Method for Tracking the Hygroscopic Motion of Wood to develop Adaptive Architectural Skins, Proceedings of the 36th eCAADe International Conference, Lodz, Poland, Volume 2, pp. 253 – 262.
- Abdelmohsen, S. & El-Dabaa, R. (2018), A Methodology for Evaluating the Hygroscopic Behavior of Wood in Adaptive Building Skins using Motion Grammar, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 362 (2018), 012011, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/362/1/012011.
- Abdelmohsen, S. & Tarabishy, S. (2017), Optimized Design to Robotic Production: Integrating Multipoint Forming and Free Form Material Deposition in the Mass Customization of Double Curved Facades, International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems (IJPEDS), Vol. 32, 180-189, DOI: 10.1080/ 17445760.2017.1390097.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Massoud, P., Tarabishy, S. & Hassab, A. (2017), Rule-based vs. Intuition-based Generative Design: An Inquiry into the Digital Chain Concept in Undergraduate Architectural Education, International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems (IJPEDS), Vol. 32, 199-209, DOI: 10.1080/ 17445760.2017.1390102.
- Tarabieh, K., Abdelmohsen, S., El-Ghazi, Y., El-Dabaa, R., Hassan, A., & Amer, M. (2017), Parametric Investigation of Three Types of Brick Bonds for Thermal Performance in a Hot Arid Climate Zone, in Proceedings of Passive Low Energy Architecture International Conference (PLEA 2017), Edinburgh, UK, pp. 3699 - 3706.
- El-Zanfaly, D. & Abdelmohsen, S. (2017), Imitation in Action: A Pedagogical Approach for Making Kinetic Structures, in G. Çağdaş, M. Özkar, L.F. Gül and E. Gürer (Eds.): Future Trajectories of Computation in Design: proceedings of the 17th CAAD Futures 2017 International Conference, Cenkler Matbaa, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 533 – 545. ISBN: 978-975-561-482-3.
- Abdelmohsen S., Assem A., Tarabishy S., & Ibrahim A. (2017), A Heuristic Approach for the Automated Generation of Furniture Layout Schemes in Residential Spaces, In: Gero J. (eds) Design Computing and Cognition '16. Springer, Cham, pp 459-475. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-44989-0_25.
- Abdelmohsen, S. (2014), An Inquiry into Designing in Context using Generative Systems, International Journal of Architectural Computing (IJAC), Vol. 12, No. 4, 477-494.
- Lee, J.-K., Lee, J., Jeong, Y.-S., Sheward, H., Sanguinetti, P., Abdelmohsen, S. & Eastman, C. (2012), Development of Space Database for Automated Building Design Review Systems, Automation in Construction, Vol. 24, 203-212.
- Abdelmohsen, S. (2012), Communication of Design Intent in BIM-Enabled Architectural Practice: An Ethnographically Informed Analysis, Lambert Academic Publishing (LAP) GmbH & Co. KG, Saarbrücken, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-8473-7859-4.
- Sanguinetti, P., Abdelmohsen, S., Lee, J.M., Lee, J.K., Sheward, H. & Eastman, C. (2012), General System Architecture for BIM: An Integrated Approach for Design and Analysis, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Vol. 26, Issue 2, 317-333.
- Abdelmohsen, S., Lee, J.-K., & Eastman, C. (2011), Automated Cost Analysis of Concept Design BIM Models, in P. Leclercq, A. Heylighen, and G. Martin (eds.), Designing Together: CAAD Futures 2011, PUL, pp. 403-418.
- Eastman, C., Lee, J.-K., Sheward, H., Sanguinetti, P., Jeong, Y.-S., Lee, J. & Abdelmohsen, S. (2009), Automated Assessment of Early Concept Designs, in Architectural Design, Vol. 79 No. 2: 52-57, DOI: 10.1002/ad.851.
- Abdelmohsen, S. (2008), Beijing National Aquatics Center, in C Eastman, P Teicholz, R Sacks and K Liston, BIM Handbook: A Guide to Building Information Modeling for Owners, Managers, Designers, Engineers and Contractors, Wiley, pp. 375 – 388.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) and pre-occupancy evaluation
- Space Layout Planning (SLP) and automated building review systems
- Generative, parametric and algorithmic design, and digital fabrication
- Ambient Intelligence, physical computing and tangible interfaces
- Interactive architecture and responsive systems in the built environment
- Shape shifting façade skins using hygroscopic properties of wood
- Smart building management and automated facility management systems
- Sketch understanding, problem solving, and analyzing design activity
- Qualitative methods in design research