Shahjahan Bhuiyan is a tenured associate professor in the Department of Public Policy and Administration (PPAD). He is also the associate dean for administration, undergraduate studies, and public outreach in the School of Global Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP). Bhuiyan is former chair of PPAD. His teaching and research are in the areas of public management, governance, public policy, non-profit management, human resources management, service delivery and sustainable development. Prior to joining AUC, he served as dean of the College of Social Sciences at KIMEP University, Almaty, Kazakhstan. He also chaired KIMEP University’s Public Administration Department for two consecutive terms. He was a visiting research fellow in the Oxford Institute of Population Aging (OIA) at Oxford University (2010) and the Inaugural Democratic Governance Fellow in UNDP’s Oslo Governance Center (2013).
Bhuiyan holds a PhD (2004) in development studies (specialization: development policy and planning) from the University of Bonn, an MPhil (2001) in public administration from the University of Bergen, and an MPA and a BSSPA both from the University of Chittagong.
- Benefits of Social Capital: Urban Solid Waste Management in Bangladesh, London, Hamburg, and Münster: LIT Verlag. 2005. Pp. 239+xlii. A review of the book has been published in Progress in Human Geography, 31(2): 273-274, 2007. Sage.
- “Overcoming Electoral Corruption: The Case of Bangladesh,” (pp. 177-192), In: Mendilow, J. (ed.), Money, Corruption and Political Competition in Established and Emerging Democracies, Lanham, MA: Lexington Books (with Golam Mostafa), 2012.
- “Public Administration in the Middle East and North Africa,” (with John Dixon and Yilmaz Üstüner), International Journal of Public Administration, 41(10): 759-764, 2018. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- “Multipurpose Community Telecenters in Rural Bangladesh: A Study of Selected Union Information and Service Centers,” (with Taiabur Rahman) Information Development, 32(1): 5-19, 2016. Sage. SSCI Impact Factor: 0.905.
- “Can Democratic Governance Be Achieved in Egypt?” International Journal of Public Administration, 38(7): 496-509, 2015. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- “Adapting to Climate Change in Bangladesh: Good Governance Barriers,” South Asia Research, 35(3): 349-367, 2015. Sage.
- “Community-led Infrastructure Development in Informal Areas in Urban Egypt: A Case Study,” (with Jennifer Bremer), Habitat International, 44: 258-267, 2014. Elsevier. SSCI Impact Factor: 3.000.
- “Political Leadership and its Role in Achieving Good Governance in Kazakhstan,” International Journal of Public Administration, 35(6): 379-388, 2012. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- “Teaching Public Administration in Kazakhstan,” Teaching Public Administration, 30(1): 59-68, 2012. Sage.
- “Social Capital and Community Development: An Analysis of Two Cases from India and Bangladesh,” Journal of Asian and African Studies, 46(6): 533-545, 2012. Sage. SSCI Impact Factor: 0.522.
- “Trajectories of E-Government Implementation for Public Sector Service Delivery in Kazakhstan,” International Journal of Public Administration, 34(9): 604-615, 2011. Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- “Transition Towards a Knowledge-based Society in Post-Communist Kazakhstan: Does Good Governance Matter? Journal of Asian and African Studies, 46(4): 404-421, 2011. Sage. SSCI Impact Factor: 0.522.
- “Climate Change and Its Impacts on Older Adults’ Health in Kazakhstan,” (with Hafiz Khan). NISPAcee Journal of Public Administration and Policy, 4(1): 97-119, 2011. De Gruyter.
- “Modernizing Bangladesh Public Administration through E-governance: Benefits and Challenges,” Government Information Quarterly, 28(1): 54-65, 2011. Elsevier. SSCI Impact Factor: 4.009.
- “Public Sector Reform in Kazakhstan: Issues and Perspectives,” International Journal of Public Sector Management (with Francis Amagoh), 24(3): 227-249, 2011. This paper has been chosen as an Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Emerald Literati Network Awards Excellence 2012.
- “Decentralization and Local Governance in Kazakhstan,” International Journal of Public Administration, 33 (12-13): 658-672, 2011. Routledge/Taylor & Francis
- “E-Government in Kazakhstan: Challenges and Its Role to Development,” Public Organization Review: A Global Journal, 10(1): 31-47, 2010. Springer.
- “A Crisis in Governance: Urban Solid Waste Management in Bangladesh,” Habitat International, 34(1): 125-133, 2011. Elsevier. SSCI Impact Factor: 3.000.
- ‘Organizational Change and Learning in an Institutionalized Context: Case Studies from Bangladesh,’ Journal of Politics & Administration, 2(1-2): 61-78, 2008.
- “Pattern of Governance in Bangladesh: A review of five regimes, 1972-2001,” Regional Studies, 25(4): 51-65, 2007.
- “Fazle Hasan Abed,” In: Anheier, H. K. and Toepler, S. (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, NY: Springer, 2009.
- “Prince Karim Aga Khan,” In: Anheier, H. K. and Toepler, S. (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, NY: Springer, 2009.
Editing Journal Symposia
- Special Issue on the Public Administration in the Middle East and North Africa, International Journal of Public Administration, 41(10), 2018 (with John Dixon and Yilmaz Üstüner). Routledge/Taylor & Francis.
- Special Issue on E-Government in Developing and Transitional Countries, International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age, 2(3), 2015 (with Hamid Ali). IGI Global.
- Section Editor for Central Asia (since 2015), Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance. Springer.
- GAPP-Moataz Al Alfi Research Award, 2014 and 2015
- Bhuiyan’s doctoral thesis has been named one of the outstanding theses of the Center for Development Research (ZEF) at the University of Bonn (2004)
- Bhuiyan won an Outstanding Paper Award at the Emerald Literati Network Awards Excellence 2012
- Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations
- Essentials of Public Policy and Administration
- Nonprofit Management
- Governance and Development
- Fundamentals of Financial Planning and Management
- Research Seminar
- Member, NASPAA Standards Committee
- Member, NASPAA International Committee
- Member, AUC Accreditation Steering Committee
- Member, AUC Assessment and Planning Committee
- Member, College Board, International Public Policy Association (IPPA)
- Member, Editorial Board, Public Organization Review: A Global Journal (Springer)
- Member, International Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age (IJPADA)
- Book Review Editor (Asia) (2009 - 2012), Poverty and Public Policy (Wiley)
- Public Management
- Public Policy
- Sustainable Development
- Nonprofit Management