Moataz El-Helaly has a PhD in Management (Accounting) from Aston University, UK, BSc, and MSc in Management from the German University in Cairo. His research is in International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), earnings management, related party transactions, and corporate Governance. He has a growing profile of publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
El-Helaly has wide teaching experience in different accounting subjects. He has worked before at the American University of Beirut, The British University in Egypt, Aston University (UK), and the German University in Cairo. His teaching interests include financial accounting, managerial accounting, auditing, and taxation.
During his PhD studies, he visited WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management (Germany) and the University of Zurich (Switzerland). He is also an associate fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy and completed teaching enhancement certificates 1 and 2 at the American University in Cairo. He is also the Certified Management and Business Educator (CMBE) from the UK chartered association of business schools.
1. El-Helaly, M., Ntim, C. & Soliman, M. (2020). The role of National Culture in International Financial Reporting Standards Adoption. Research in International Business and Finance. Forthcoming.
2. El-Helaly, M., Ntim, C. & Al-Gazzar, M. (2020). Diffusion Theory, National Corruption, and IFRS Adoption around the World. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation. 38-100305.
3. Shehata, N., Mitry, C., Shawki, M., & El-Helaly, M. (2020). Incorporating Nearpod in Undergraduate Financial Accounting Classes in Egypt. Accounting Education. 29(2): 137-152.
4. Ayman, A., El-Helaly, M. & Shehata, N. (2019). Board diversity and earnings news dissemination on Twitter in the UK. Journal of Management and Governance. 23(3):715-734
5. El-Helaly, M. (2018). Related Party Transactions: A review of Regulation, Governance, and Auditing Literature. Managerial Auditing Journal. 8/9: 779-806.
6. El-Helaly, M., Georgiou, I. & Lowe, A. (2018). The Interplay between Related Party Transactions and Earnings Management: The role of Audit Quality. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing, and Taxation. 32: 47-60.
7. El-Helaly, M., Shehata, N. & El-Sherif, R. (2018). National Corporate Governance, GMI Ratings, and Earnings Management: A Country-level Study. Asian Review of Accounting. 26(3): 373-390.
8. Shehata, N., Salhin, A. & El-Helaly, M. (2017). Board Diversity and Firm Performance: Evidence from UK SMEs. Applied Economics. 49(48): 4817-4832.
9. El-Helaly, M. (2016). Related Party Transactions and Accounting Quality in Greece. International Journal of Accounting and Information Management. Vol. 24(4): 375-390.
10. Elhelaly, M. (2014). Related Party Transactions and Corporate Governance Research: An assessment of Theories and Methodologies. Corporate Ownership and Control. Vol. 11 (2): 578-582.
- Related Party Transactions
- Capital Market Research
- Earnings Management,
- Corporate Governance
- Oct 2011 - Jul 2014 Aston University PhD.
- Oct 2007 - Jul 2009 German University in Cairo, Master of Science (MS)
- Oct 2003 - Sep 2007 German University in Cairo Bachelor of Science (BS)