Mayyada El-Sayed obtained her BSc and MSc with honors at the Department of Chemical Engineering in Cairo University. Her MSc thesis was on the thermal degradation of polystyrene polymer as a model for plastic waste recycling. She then worked as a teaching assistant as well as a research assistant in a number of institutions including Akhbar El-Yom Academy, Arab Academy, Cairo University, National Research Center and The American University in Cairo. Afterward, El-Sayed pursued further studies at Cambridge University, UK, where she obtained her PhD in chemical engineering and biotechnology in 2010. Her PhD was in the field of bioprocessing and bioseparations, particularly using ion-exchange techniques for protein purification.
Upon her return home in 2010, El-Sayed joined the National Research Center as an assistant research professor where she took part in projects concerned with water desalination and wastewater treatment. She also worked as an adjunct faculty at The American University in Cairo and was then appointed an assistant professor in 2011. El-Sayed spent Summer and Fall 2013 at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) as a visiting research faculty member. In 2016, she was promoted to associate professor and, in 2017, she was appointed director of the chemistry master’s program.
Her research interests revolve around the field of separation science and technology with emphasis on separation science and technology for environmental and biochemical applications, adsorption techniques, liquid chromatography and membrane separation, industrial biotechnology, with a focus on bioseparations, protein purification as well as extraction of bioactive compounds from natural sources.
El-Sayed is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS), American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Society of Chemistry and Industry (SCI), the Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), UK, and Cambridge Philosophical Society. She is also serving as a scientific reviewer for the Journal of Separation Science, Journal of Chromatography A, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules and others.
- M.M.H. El-Sayed, A.A. Mostafa, A.M. Gaafar, W. El Hotaby, E.M.A. Hamzawy, M.S. El-Okaily, A.M. Gamal-Eldeen, In vitro kinetic investigations on the bioactivity and cytocompatibility of bioactive glasses prepared via melting and sol-gel techniques for bone regeneration applications, Biomed. Mater. 12 (2017) 015029.
- M.M.H. El-Sayed, D. Fleita, D. Rifaat, and H. Eissa (in press), "Assessment of the state-of the-art developments in the extraction of antioxidants from marine algal species," Elsevier, 2017.
- Mohamed Hassan Sorour, Heba Ahmed Hani, Mayyada Mohamed Hosni El Sayed, Ghada Ahmed Al Bazedi, Towards lithium recovery from desalination brines via an integrated scheme, Desalination and Water treatment, 61 (2017) 311–318.
- A.A. Mostafa, M.M.H. El-Sayed, A.A. Mahmoud, AM Gamal-Eldeen, Bioactive/Natural Polymeric Scaffolds Loaded with Ciprofloxacin for Treatment of Osteomyelitis, AAPS PharmSciTech, 1-14, 2016.
- Mayyada M.H. El-Sayed, Sheniqua R. Brown, KarunaSri Mupparapu, Leah Tolosa, The Effect of pH on the Glucose Response of the Glucose-Galactose Binding Protein L255C Labeled with Acrylodan, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 86: 282-87, 2016.
- A.A. Mostafa, H. Oudadesse, M.M.H. El-Sayed, A quantitative approach for studying the bioactivity of nanohydroxyapatite/gold composites, 103 (11): 3483-92, 2015.
- Daisy Fleita, Mayyada MH El-Sayed, Dalia Rifaat, Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of enzymatically-hydrolyzed sulfated polysaccharides extracted from red algae; Pterocladia capillacea, 2015, DOI: 10.1016/j.lwt.2015.04.024.
- El-Sayed, Mayyada MH and Frey, Douglas D., Chromatofocussing. In: Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (eLS), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd: Chichester, 2015. DOI: 10/1002/9780470015902.a0002681.pub2.
- Hanan E.M. El-Sayed, Mayyada M.H. El-Sayed, Assessment of food processing and pharmaceutical industrial wastes as potential biosorbents: a review, BioMed Research International, 2014, DOI: 10.1155/2014/146769.
- Mohamed H. Sorour, Heba A. Hani, Hayam F. Shaalan, Marwa M. El Sayed, Mayyada M.H. El-Sayed, Softening of seawater and desalination brines using grafted polysaccharide hydrogels, Desal. and Water Treatment, 2014, DOI: 10.1080/19443994.2014.947783.
- A.A. Mostafa, H. Oudadesse, M.M.H. El Sayed, G. Kamal, M. Kamel , E. Foad, Kinetic evaluation study on the bioactivity of silver doped hydroxyapatite-polyvinyl alcohol nanocomposites, J. Biomedical Materials Research A, 102 (12): 4609-15, 2014.
- M.M.H. El-Sayed, H.A. Hani, M.H. Sorour, Polymeric ion exchangers for the recovery of ions from brine and seawater, Chem Eng Process Tech 2(1): 1020, 2014.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase. Trends in whey protein fractionation. J Biotechnology Letters, Vol. 33, No. 8, 2011, pp. 1501-1511.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase. Purification of the two major proteins from whey concentrate using a cation-exchange selective adsorption process. J Biotechnology Progress, Vol.26, No.1, 2010, pp. 192-199.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase. Simulation of the breakthrough curves for the adsorption of alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin to SP Sepharose FF cation-exchanger. J Biochemical Engineering, Vol. 49, 2010, pp. 221-228.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase. Confocal microscopy study of uptake kinetics of alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin onto the cation-exchanger SP Sepharose FF. J Separation Science, Vol.32, No.18, 2009, pp. 3246-3256.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase. Single and two-component cation-exchange adsorption of the two pure major whey proteins. J Chromatography A, Vol. 1216, 2009, pp.8705-8711.
- M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase, “Toward separating alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin proteins from whey through cation-exchange adsorption”, IAENG Transactions on Engineering Technologies Volume II, American Institute of Physics, New York 2009.
- M.M.H.El-Sayed, H.A.Chase, “Separation of the two major whey proteins using cation-exchange adsorption”, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (WCECS), International Conference on Chemical Engineering WCECS conference, UC Berkley, California, US, 2008.
Honors and Awards
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar fellowship, 2013
- Best paper award at the WCECS conference, UC Berkley, California, US, 2009
- Prize for best presentation from the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) at the ‘What’s new in Fluid Separations?’ symposium, GlaxoSmithkline, Stevenage, UK. The presentation was entitled “Cation-exchange adsorption of major whey proteins”, 2008
- Messel Travel Bursary from the Society of Chemistry and Industry (SCI), 2008
- Tutorial Award from St. Edmunds College, Cambridge, 2008
- Travel grant from ‘Cambridge Philosophical Society’, 2008
- Travel Bursary from BioProcessUK, 2007 and the IChemE Biochemical Engineering Subject Group, 2009
- Egyptian government scholarship for study towards a PhD at the University of Cambridge, 2006
- Award for best achiever from the Egyptian Cultural Bureau in London, 2008
- 2010: PhD, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2002: MSc, Cairo University, Egyp
- 1998: BSc, Cairo University, Egypt
- Separation Methods
- Bioseparation, Bioprocessing
- Liquid Chromatography
- Adsorption Equilibrium and Kinetics
- Protein Purification
- Process Modeling and Simulation