Ibrahim Abotaleb is an assistant professor of construction engineering at The American University in Cairo (AUC). Prior to joining AUC, he was an assistant professor at the British University in Egypt and a postdoctoral research fellow at the Missouri University of Science and Technology (Rolla). Abotaleb received his BSc and MSc degrees with honors from AUC, and his PhD from the University of Tennessee - Knoxville; where he was a recipient of the Chancellor's fellowship.
Abotaleb has taught courses in areas such as construction methods and technology, risk management, value engineering, construction equipment, lean construction, engineering economics, as well as simulation and optimization. Abotaleb’s research has resulted in the publication of over 50 refereed journal and conference papers in the most prestigious journals and conferences. He was selected as an outstanding reviewer twice (2015 and 2017) by the ASCE's Journal of Management in Engineering for his peer review contributions to the journal. In 2020, Abotaleb won the prestigious Thomas Fitch Rowland award by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
In addition to his academic work, Abotaleb is a consultant for a number of construction and investment firms in Egypt. In his consulting work, Abotaleb provided professional support and training in different aspects such as project development, business development, planning, contract administration, cost control, insurance, environmental compliance, and overall construction management.
- Alqahtani, F. K., Abotaleb, I. S., & Harb, S. (2021). LEED Study of Green Lightweight Aggregates in Construction. Sustainability, 13(3), 1395.
- Abotaleb, I. S., El-adaway, I. H., Ibrahim, M. W., Hanna, A. S., & Russell, J. S. (2020). “Developing a Rating Score for Out-of-Sequence Construction.” Journal of Management in Engineering, 36(3), 04020013.
- Assaad, R., El-Adaway, I. H., & Abotaleb, I. S. (2020). “Predicting Project Performance in the Construction Industry.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 146(5), 0402003
- Abotaleb, I., El-adaway, I., and Moussa, M (2019). “Guidelines for Administrating and Drafting Non-Payment Owner's Obligations Provisions under Design-Build Contract.” Journal of Management in Engineering. 34 (4), 04019010.
- (Award Winning Paper) Abotaleb, I. & El-adaway, I. (2018). “First Attempt Toward a Holistic Understanding of the Interdependent Rippled Impacts Associated with Out-of-Sequence Work in Construction Projects: System Dynamics Modeling Approach” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 144 (9), 04018084.
- El-adaway, I., Abotaleb, I., & Eteifa, S. (2017). "Framework for multiparty relational contracting." Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, 9(3), 04517018
- Abotaleb, I., Nassar, K., & Hosny, O. (2016). "Layout optimization of construction site facilities with dynamic freeform geometric representations." Automation in Construction, 66, 15-28
- El-Adaway, I. H., Abotaleb, I. S., & Vechan, E. (2016). "Social network analysis approach for improved transportation planning." Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 23(2), 05016004
- PhD: University of Tennessee - Knoxvile
- MSc: American University in Cairo
- BSc: American University in Cairo
- Virtual reality
- Simulation and optimization
- Statistical modeling for construction applications
- Decision support systems
- Contract management and dispute mitigation
- Site layout planning
- Project control and productivity enhancement
- Performance assessment and prediction
- Green infrastructure