Hani Sewilam joined AUC as a professor (tenure) for sustainable development and water resources management. Sewilam is the founding director of both the Center for Sustainable Development and the MSc in sustainable development at AUC. He coordinated the capacity development activities of the United Nations Water between 2010 and 2011. Sewilam works at the RWTH Aachen University in Germany as the academic director of the Department of Engineering Hydrology and executive director of the UNESCO Chair on Hydrological Changes and Water Resources Management. From 2002 to 2010, Sewilam worked as the deputy director for the Department of Engineering Hydrology at the RWTH Aachen University. He managed international research and capacity building projects in 21 countries.
In 2017, Sewilam founded the MSc in sustainable management – water and energy at the RWTH Aachen University. In 2008, he established the North African Regional Center of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development (RCE Cairo), which is acknowledged by the United Nations University. Sewilam worked for the Egyptian National Water Research Center as a researcher and coordinator for development projects with several UN organizations.
He has more than 25 years of academic and professional experience in the fields of sustainable development, water resources management, water-energy-food nexus, desalination and capacity building. He authored many peer-reviewed scientific papers and book chapters. Sewilam served as a consultant and reviewer for several international research and development organizations. Sewilam holds a PhD in water resource management from the RWTH Aachen University (Germany), a MSc in irrigation management from Southampton University (UK), as well as a graduate diploma and BSc in irrigation and environmental engineering.
- Sewilam, H. et al. Teaching and Learning Kits for Sustainable Development, Level 1. Adam Publishing House, 2014. Registration number: 22587/2013, ISBN: 978-977-8505-82-5.
- Sewilam, H. et al. Teaching and Learning Kits for Sustainable Development, Level 2. Adam Publishing House, 2014. Registration number: 22588/2013 ISBN: 9789778505832.
- Sewilam, H. et al. Teaching and Learning Kits for Sustainable Development, Level 3. Adam Publishing House, 2014. Registration number: 22589/2013, ISBN: 978-977-8505-84-9.
- Sewilam, H. et al. Teachers Guide – Education for Sustainable Development. Adam Publishing House, 2014. Registration number: 22611/2013, ISBN: 9789778505894.
- Sewilam, H. and Rudolpf, K. Editors. Capacity Development for Drinking Water Loss Reduction: Challenges and Experiences. August Dreesbach Verlag, 2011. ISBN 978-3-940061-51-5
- Nacken, H., Bartusseck, S., Sewilam, H. Editors. Entscheidungsunterstützung in der Wasserwirtschaft – von der Theorie zum Anwendungsfall. Aachen: GFZ, 2005.
- Sewilam, H. Neuro-Fuzzy Modelling for Conflict Resolution in Irrigation Management. Aachen/Germany: Shaker Publisher GmbH, 2004. ISBN 3-8322-3369-5 (PhD Dissertation was published as a book)
- Sewilam and Nasr. “Desalinated Water for Food Production in the Arab Region”, In: Amer K., Adeel Z., Böer B., Saleh W. (eds) The Water, Energy, and Food Security Nexus in the Arab Region. Water Security in a New World. Springer, Cham, ISBN 978-3-319-48408-2.
- Marlene, M. Sewilam, H. Mader, C. “ EduCamp - Bildung für nachhaltige Entwicklung in Ägypten”, In Bildung für Nachhaltige Entwicklung, Umweltdachverband GmbH, eds. Edition: forum edition JAHRBUCH, FORUM Umweltbildung im Umweltdachverband, 2015, pp.139-145.
- Sewilam, H. RCE Cairo: The EduCamp Project –A Multi-Level Cooperation of RCEs”, In Towards More Sustainable Consumption and Production Systems and Sustainable Livelihoods. United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS), 2012.
- Sewilam, H. and Liebe, J. “Capacity Development for Safe Use of Wastewater in Agriculture”, In Water and the Green Economy. Bonn, Germany: UNW-DPC, May 2012.
- Sewilam, H and Alearts, G. “Knowledge and Capacity Development”, In The United Nations World Water Development Report 4: Managing Water under Uncertainty and Risk (Vol. 1). United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, 7, place de Fontenoy, 75352 Paris 07 SP, France, 2012, ISBN 978-92-3-104235-5, e-book ISBN 978-92-3-001045-4: http://publishing.unesco.org/
- Sewilam, H. “Capacity Development for Water Loss Reduction”, In Capacity Development for Drinking Water Loss Reduction: Challenges and Experiences. August Dreesbach Verlag, 2011, ISBN 978-3-940061-51-5.
- Sewilam, H. "Rule-Based Systems for Ecohydrological and Morphological Decision Making", In Decision Support Systems, Vienna, Austria: In-TECH Publisher, 2009, ISBN 978-953-7619-X-X
- Sewilam, H., Breuer, H. Nacken, H., Pyke, C. “Competence-Based and Game-Based Capacity Development for Sustainable Water Management in Germany”, Journal of Environmental Earth Sciences, 76(3) · Published February 2017.
- El Barmelgy, A., Nasr, P. and Sewilam, H. “Sustainable Approaches for Utilizing Desalination Reject Brine”. The International Journal on the Science and Technology of Desalting and Water Purification (Submitted June 2017)
- El-Essawy, H., Nasr, P., and Sewilam, H. "Aquaponics as a Sustainable Alternative to New Land Reclamation and Conventional Agriculture in Egypt". Journal of Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy (Submitted June 2017).
- Albadry, S., Tarabiah, K., and Sewilam, H. “Achieving Net Zero-Energy Buildings through Retrofitting Existing Residential Buildings Using PV Panels”, Energy Procedia 115 (2017) 195–204, Science Direct, February 2017.
- Breuer, R., Sewilam, H. Pyke, C. and Nacken, H. “Exploring the application of a flood risk management Serious Game platform”, Journal of Environmental Earth Sciences76(2): 93. doi:10.1007/s12665-017-6387-1 · March 2017.
- Nasr, P. and Sewilam, H. “Selection of Potential Fertilizer Draw Solution for Fertilizer Drawn Forward Osmosis Application in Egypt”, Journal of Desalination and Water Treatment. 65 (2017) 22–30. March 2017.
- Pyka, C. et al. “Effects of water diversion and climate change on the Rur and Meuse in low-flow situations”, Journal of Environ Earth Sciences, Vol. 75, (2016), p. 1206. doi:10.1007/s12665-016-5989-3.
- Nasr, P., & Sewilam, H. “Investigating Fertilizer Drawn Forward Osmosis Process for Groundwater Desalination for Irrigation in Egypt”, Journal of Desalination and Water Treatment, Vol. 57, Issue 56 (2016), pp. 26932-26942. DOI:10.1080/19443994.2016.1170639
- Nasr, P. and Sewilam, H. “Investigating the performance of ammonium sulphate draw solution in fertilizer drawn forward osmosis process”, Journal of Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Vol. 18 (2016), pp. 717- 727, 10.1007/s10098-015-1042-6.
- Nasr, P. and Sewilam, H. ”Forward osmosis: an alternative sustainable technology and potential applications in water industry”, Journal of Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Vol. 17, Issue 7 (2015), pp. 2079-2090. 10.1007/s10098-015-0927-8.
- Nasr, P. and Sewilam, H. “The potential of groundwater desalination using forward osmosis for irrigation in Egypt”, Journal Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, Vol. 17, Issue 7 (2015), pp. 1883-1895, 10.1007/s10098-015-0902-4.
- Sewilam, H., McCormack, O., Mader, M. et al. (2015): “Introducing education for sustainable development into Egyptian schools”, Journal of Environment Development and Sustainability , Volume 17, Issue 2 (2015), pp. 221–238, doi:10.1007/s10668-014-9597-7
- Sewilam, H. et.al. Rule-Based Decision Support System for the Morphological Rehabilitation of Watercourses, International Journal of Water Resources Management, Vol. 21 (2007), p. 2037, DOI 10.1007/s11269-007-9157-0.
- Breuer, R. Sewilam, H. Nacken, H. “SeCom2.0-Teaching and Learning in Flood Risk Management by means of Serious Games”, Journal/ Hydrologie und Wasserbewirtschaftung Vol. 59, Issue 1 (2015), pp. 37-38 ·
PhD - 2002
Degree with Distinction in Decision Support Systems in Water Resources, Civil Engineering, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
MSc - 1994
Degree in Environmental Engineering – Civil Engineering, Southampton University, United Kingdom
Graduate Diploma 1992
Civil Engineering – Water Engineering
Zagazig University, Egypt
BSc - 1991
Civil Engineering - Water and Environmental Engineering
Zagazig University, Egypt
- Engineering Hydrology
- Sustainable Development
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Water-Energy-Food Nexus
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Blended Learning, eLearning, Lifelong Learning and Serious Gaming Integrated