Hanadi A. G. Salem is a professor of materials and manufacturing, Department of Mechanical Engineering. She resumed her duties as chair of the Mechanical Engineering Department in July 1, 2020. She is the University senate vice-chair and a formal senate chair of the Faculty Affairs Committee. She is the founder of the Nanotechnology Master’s Program at AUC, 2009-2010, and has served as the director of the program for five years since September 2010. She is a co-founder of the Egyptian National Nanotechnology Network (ENNN) and the University representative. She received her BSc and MSc degrees in materials science and engineering at AUC and received her PhD in mechanical engineering in the materials field from Texas A&M University 1997. She joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at AUC as an assistant professor in 1999.
Salem was the associate chair of Mechanical Engineering Department 2016. She is one of the four founders of the Yousef Jameel Science and technology research center (YJSTRC) since 2002 and was the Associate Director for Fund Raising and External Funding at the center of November 2007. She is a co-founder of the PhD program in Applied Sciences and Engineering fall 2011 and a co-founder of the master’s program in biotechnology, 2008.
Salem has vast experience in program accreditation at the graduate and undergraduate levels, nationally (supreme council for higher education) and internationally (ABET), and the Middle States at the institutional level. Salem chaired the Department Accreditation Committee (DAC) from Fall 2012 to Fall 2015 for the Mechanical Engineering Program ABET accreditation cycle of Fall 2014. She served as a steering committee member and a co-chair in the Middle States (MSCHE) 2008 accreditation cycle and is currently serving as a co-chair and a member of the MSCHE steering committee fall 2015-Fall 2017. She is currently a member of the University Strategic Planning Steering Committee. Salem is chairing the University Senate Faculty Affairs Committee (FAC) since July 2017.
Salem was a visiting professor at Functional Materials Center at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden; a visiting professor in the mechanical and aerospace engineering department of North Carolina State University, NC USA; a research associate in the Department of Materials Science of the Georgia Institute of Technology, GA and at the University of South Carolina, Colombia, SC USA. She has collaborated on research both nationally and internationally in the US, Canada, and UK. Salem supervised a large number of MSc and PhD students at AUC, national universities, regionally and internationally.
Salem’s research currently focuses on powder and wire-feed additive manufacturing using selective laser manufacturing. She is the founder and director of the Additive Manufacturing Centennial Lab (AMCL). She established the first Wire Arc Additive/Subtrative Manufacturing (WAAM) integrated Robotic System in Egypt and the Middle East. WAAM integrated system manufactures and repairs net shaped metallic medium-to-large industrial parts. Salem’s also has vast expertise in the processing of Bulk nanostructured materials (BNSM) via a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches. A combination of powder metallurgy technique and Sever plastic deformation was employed in her research for the production of nanostructured bulk products with superior properties for tribological and high-temperature lightweight applications. In Fall 2010, Salem was awarded the Excellence in Research and Creative Endeavors at the AUC level and SSE Service Achievement for the establishment of the NT program. She has more than 100 international journal and conference publications and has received many national and institutional awards and grants. She is a pioneer in the Friction Stir Welding and Processing (FSW/P) and Intense Plastic deformation for joining of the ultrafine recrystallized ultrahigh strength/tough Aluminum alloys.
INTERNATIONAL AND REGIONAL COLLABORATIONS
- Department of Metallurgy and Materials, Birmingham University, Birmingham, UK
- Functional Materials Group, The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden
- Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, North Carolina State University, NC USA
- Department of Materials Science, Georgia Institute of Technology, Colombia, GA USA
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, SC USA
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
- Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Farmingdale State College
- Department of Engineering and Information Sciences, University of Wollongong, Australia
- Department of Mechanical Engineering University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
- Computational Solid Mechanics Laboratory, Division of Physical Sciences and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), SA
PUBLICATIONS IN REFEREED JOURNALS
- Muhammed S Abdallah, Fatma Y Hassaneen, Yasmin Faisal, Mohy S Mansour, AM Ibrahim, Saleh Abo-Elfadl, HG Salem, Nageh K Allam, “Effect of Ni-Ferrite and Ni-Co-Ferrite nanostructures on biogas production from anaerobic digestion” Fuel, Vol. 264, (2019), pp. 115673
- D. M. Foad, W. H ElGaraihy, M. M. Z. Mohamed, M. M. Elsayed Seleman and H. G. Salem, “Inﬂuence of multi-channel spiral twist extrusion (MCSTE) processing on structural evolution, crystallographic texture and mechanical properties of AA1100W”, Materias Science & Engineering A, Vol 737, (2018), pp. 166-176
- H. ElGaraihy, D. M. Foad and H. G. Salem, “Multi-Channel Spiral Twist Extrusion (MCSTE): A Novel Severe Plastic Deformation Technique for Grain Refinement”, Metallurgical & Materials Transactions A, Vol. 49A, (July 2018), pp. 2845-2864
- A ElGhazaly, Geraldine Anis, Hanadi G Salem, “Effect of graphene addition on the mechanical and tribological behavior of nanostructured AA2124 self-lubricating metal matrix composite” Composites Part A, Vol. 95, (2017), pp.325-33
- H.Salem, L. N. Carter, M. M. Attallah and H. G. Salem, “The Influence Of Processing Parameters On Strut Diameter And Internal Porosity In Ti6al4v Cellular Structure”, 2018 MS&T Annual Conference and Exhibition, Additive Manufacturing of Metals: Microstructure and Materials Properties, October 2018, pp. 71-77
- D.M. Fouad, A. Moataz, W.H. El-Garaihy, H.G. Salem, “Multi-Objective Optimization Of Multi-Channel Spiral Twist Extrusion Process Using A Response Surface Approach And Finite Element Analysis”, 2018 MS&T Annual Conference and Exhibition, Solid State Symposium, October 2018, pp. 1470-1477
- L. M. Wahsh, A. E. ElShater, A. K. Mansour, F. A. Hamdy, M. A. Turky, M. O. Azzam and H. G. Salem, “Parameter Selection For Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM) Process”, 2018 MS&T Annual Conference and Exhibition, Additive Manufacturing of Metals: Microstructure and Materials Properties, October 2018, pp. 78-85
- P. Morcos, KI ElKhodary, H. G. Salem, “Mechanically Alloyed Magnesium Based Nanostructured Alloy Powders for Biomedical Applications”, Magnesium Technology 2017, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, pp 35-41
- H. Salem, H. G. Salem, M. M. Attallah, “Composite Powder Consolidation Using Selective Laser Melting: Input Energy/Porosity Morphology/Balling Effect Relation”TMS 2017, Annual Meeting & Exhibition Supplemental Proceedings The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series pp 169-180
- A El Ghazaly, M Shokeir, SN El Moghazi, A Fathy, MM Emara and H. G. Salem, “Nanocomposites Mechanical and Tribological Properties Using Graphene-Coated-SiC Nanoparticles (GCSiCNP) for Light Weight Applications”, TMS 2017, Annual Meeting & Exhibition , Proceedings of the 3rd Pan American Materials Congress, Part of the series The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, (2017), pp 403-415
- Shaheen, Basamat S; Davenport, Timothy C; Salem, Hanadi G; Haile, Sossina M; Allam, Nageh K. “Rapid and controlled electrochemical synthesis of crystalline niobium oxide microcones”, MRS Communications; Warrendale5.3 (2015): 495-501
- H. G. Salem, W. H. El-Garaihy, S. E. Oraby, El-Sayed M. A. Rassoul, “On the Effect of SiC Content and Processing Temperature on Relative Density and Hardness of Hot Compacted Aluminum AA6061 Composite – Mathematical Empirical and Response Surface Approach”, Journal of Materials Science Research, Vol. 4, No 3,(2015), p.1-14
- M Ragab, H. G. Salem, “Investigation of the Structural Stability of Nanostructured Al‐5.7 wt.%‐Ni Mechanically Alloyed Eutectic Alloy Powders, Light Metals (2015), pp.347-351
- MA Elhamid, MM Emara, H. G. Salem, “Influence of Mixing Technique on the Mechanical Properties and Structural Evolution of Al-NiAl Composites” Journal of Materials Engineering and performance, Vol. 23, Issue 10, (2014), pp 3425–3435. Eldesouky, A., Johnsson, M. , Svengren, H., Attallah, M.M. and Salem,H.G., "Effect of grain size reduction of AA2124 aluminum alloy powder compacted by spark plasma sintering", Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Volume 609, 5, (2014) Pages 215-221
- ND Afify, HG Salem, A Yavari, T El Sayed, “Consolidation of nanometer-sized aluminum single crystals: Microstructure and defects evolutions”, Computational Materials Science, Vol. 85, (2014), pp. 306-309
- Basamat S. Shaheen, Hanadi G Salem, Mostafa A. El-Sayed, and Nageh K. Allam: “Thermal/Electrochemical Growth and Characterization of One-ZnO/TiO Hybrid Nanoelectrodes for Solar Fuel Production”, J. Phys. Chem. C, C117 (36), (2013), pp.18502-509
- Ahmed Salem, Yasmine Zakarya, Mats Johnsson and Hanadi Salem, “Influence Of Spark Plasma Sintering On The Mechanical Behavior Of Micro And Nano Aa2124 Powders”, TMS 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibition San Antonio, TX, USA March 2-7, 2013
- Ahmed Ghazaly, Bassamt Shahin, and Hanadi Salem, “Mechanical and Tribological Properties Of Aa2124-Graphene Self Lubricating Nanocomposite”, Light Metals 2013 Edited by: Barry Sadler TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), 2013, USA March 2-7, (2013) p. 411-415
- ND Afify, HG Salem, A Yavari, T El Sayed, “Mechanism of the superior mechanical strength of nanometer-sized metal single crystals revealed”, Computer Materials Science, Vol 78, (2013), pp. 34-38
- Hala Omar, Ahmed Ibrahim, Hanadi Salem, Sherif Sedky, “Effect of Pulsed Laser on the structure and morphology of Alumina-Zirconia Coatings”, Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology, (2013), Article ID:34493, DOI:10.4236/jse
- M.A. Yar a, Sverker Wahlberg a, Hans Bergqvist a, H.G. Salem, Mats Johnsson , Mamoun Muhammed, “Fabrication of Nanostructured W-Y2O3 Materials by Chemical Methods”, Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 22, (2012), pp.12622-12628
- H.G. Salem, William M Lee, Laurence Bodelot, G Ravichandran, MA Zikry, “Quasi-static and high-strain-rate experimental microstructural investigation of a high-strength aluminum alloy”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 43, Issue 6, (2012), pp.1895-1901.
- Mohy Eldin, Hanadi G. Salem, “Effect of Milling Energy on the Structural Evolution and Stability of Nanostructured Al-5.7wt.% Ni Mechanically Alloyed Eutectic Alloy” Journal of Powder Technology, vol. 222 (2012), pp. 108–116
- M. El-Sayed, H. Salem, A. Kandeil and W. D. Griffiths, “Effect Of Holding Time before Solidification On Doubleoxide, Film Defects And Mechanical Properties Of, Aluminium Alloys”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, Vol 42B, Dec.( 2011), pp. 1104-1109
- M.A. Yar a, Sverker Wahlberg a, Hans Bergqvist a, H.G. Salem , Mats Johnsson , Mamoun Muhammed, “Spark plasma sintering of tungsten–yttrium oxide composites from chemically synthesized nanopowders and microstructural characterization”, Journal of Nuclear Materials 412 (2011) 227–232
- M. Mazher, H. Salem, M. Johansson, and M. Mohammed, “Chemically Produced Tungsten-La2O3 Nano Powders and ODS-Tungsten Metals Sintered by SPS” Journal of Nuclear Materials, Volume 408, Issue 2, 15 January (2011), Pages 129-135
- Elkhodary, K. I. E., Salem, H. A., M. A., Patent, "Shear Enhanced Rolling (SER)", AUC-114/PCT, Regular, United States. (Application: December 2016)
- Hanadi Salem and Waleed ElGaraihi, Patent, “Multi-Channel Spiral Twist Extrusion”, AUC-124/PROV, May 1, 2017
- ENGR 101/1001 - Introduction to Engineering
- ENGR 229/2112 - Strength and Testing of Materials
- MENG 327/3227 - Engineering Materials
- MENG 426/4226 - Metals, Alloys and Composites
- MENG 427/4227 - Failure of Mechanical Components
- MENG 428/4228 - Selection of Materials and Processes for Design
- MENG 433 - Welding and Casting: Design, Maintenance and Inspection
- MENG 4229/5230 - Nanostructured Materials
- MENG 490/4980 - Senior Design I, coordinator and project supervisor
- MENG 490/4981 - Senior Design II, coordinator and project supervisor
- MENG 521/5221 - Advanced Topics in Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials
- MENG 522/5222 - Materials in Design and Manufacturing
- MENG 523/5223 - Physical Metallurgy
- MENG 529/5229 - Failure Analysis and Prevention
- NANO 531/5200 - Nanomaterials Synthesis, Processing and Applications
- NANO 532/5232 - Nanocomposites Science and Technology
- NANO 590/5980 - Graduate Thesis Seminar I
- Wire Arc Additive Re-Manufacturing and Repair
- Fabrication and Characterization of Cellular structures using Selective Laser Melting
- Synthesis and characterization of composite metallic and ceramic nanopowders and nanostructured powders
- Consolidation Behavior of Micro and Nanostructure Metallic, intermetallic Bulk materials
- Metal and Ceramic Matrix Nanocomposites Fabrication and Characterization.
- Self-Lubricating metal based-graphene nanocomposites
- Bulk Nanostructure Material Fabrication Via
- Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS);
- Additive layer Manufacturing (ALM), wire and powder based;
- Sever Plastic Straining (ECAP, HPT, TMP)
- Friction Stir Processing (FSP)
- Ceramic Coatings and Thin Films Processing and Characterization.
- Fabricated via a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches
Salem has had the honor of serving as a full-time faculty member in the field of materials and manufacturing in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at AUC. Working at AUC for the past 17 years has helped her gain an ineffable amount of experience in teaching and course and program development. This section highlights her teaching activities and accomplishments, starting September 1999 to present.
Note: Salem, similar to many of the MENG faculty, has been teaching between 11 to 13 credit hours per semester throughout her years of service. Salem taught a wide spectrum of courses: eight undergraduate courses ranging from 100-400 level, six graduate 500 level MENG and NANO courses; in addition to senior project courses (as a coordinator and project supervisor) and seminar courses.
PhD Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, TX, USA, Dec. 1997
MSc Materials Science and Engineering, American University in Cairo, June 1987
BSc Materials Science and Engineering, American University in Cairo, June 1983