Ghalia Elsrakbi is a design professional, researcher, and design educator. After obtaining a master's degree in design at the Sandberg Institute, Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam, she joined the post-academic interdisciplinary program Design Negation at Jan van Eyck Academy in Maastricht where her research was dedicated to the investigation of populist politics from the perspective of design and theory.
In 2009, she co-founded South African designer Lauren Alexander Foundland Collective, an art, and design practice based in Amsterdam. Foundland’s projects explore under-represented political and historical narratives by working with archives via art, design, writing, educational formats, video making, and storytelling. It aims to critically reflect upon what it means to produce politically engaged work from the position of non-Western artists working between Europe and the Middle East.
She is a co-founder and the Artistic Director of Cairotronica, Electronic and New Media arts festival in Cairo, a jury member for the Hybrid Art category for Prix Ars Electronica in Linz, Austria. Ghalia has lectured and exhibited widely in Europe, the United States and the Middle East including Centre Pompidou in France, The Rotterdam International Film Festival in the Netherlands, ISPC in New York, Ars Electronica, Linz in Austria, IMPAKT Festival the Netherlands, London Art Fair in the United Kingdom, Beursschouwburg, Brussels, Fikra Design Biennial in the UAE, Porto Design Biennial in Portugal, Amman Design week in Jordan.
Elsrakbi was awarded the Smithsonian Artist Research fellowship in 2015/2016 for research in the Faris and Yamna Naff Arab American Collection at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington DC and was shortlisted for the Dutch Prix de Rome prize in 2015 as well as the Dutch Design Awards in 2016.
- Selected Topic in Information Design
- Selected Topic in Information Design ( Mapping Citizenship ) Co-taught with Yasmine Moataz Ahmed; Department of Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Egyptology
- PORTO DESIGN BIENNIAL 2019: Millennials — New Millennium Design: Real-time History, Group Show, Galeria Municipal, Porto
- AMMAN DESIGN WEEK 2019: Possibilities Ground plan Drawings, Group Show, Hangar exhibition curated by architect Noura Al Sayeh-Holtrop, Amman Jordan
- FIKRA DESIGN BIENNIAL 2018: Department of Flying Saucers, Group Show, Sharjah, UAE
- IMPAKT FESTIVAL 2018: Algorithmic Superstructures, Real-time History, Group Show, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- WERKLEITZ FESTIVAL: The New World, Episode One, Group Show, Halle (Saale), Germany
- ARS ELECTRONICA 2018: Error in Progress, Real-time History, Group Show, POSTCITY, Bunker, Linz, Austria
- PEER-TO-PEER: Collective Practices In Contemporary Art, Group Show, Muzeum Sztuki for Modern Art, Łódz, Poland
- ROTTERDAM INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL: The Bight Future Shorts screening program, Border Crossings at IFFR. Screaming of The New World, Episode One
- RESOLUTION IS NOT THE POINT Group Show, Photo50 London Art Fair, London, UK
- COSMOPOLIS #1: Group Show, The New World, Episode One, project premier, Centre Pompidou, Paris
- MY FUTURE IS IN MY PAST AND MY PAST IS IN MY PRESENT, Group Show, Arti et Amicitiae, Amsterdam
- A BASEMENT IN THE ATTIC, Group Show, Harlan Levey Projects Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- STATE OF EXCEPTION GAMES: Performance at How Assemblies Matter? Symposium in Athens, as part of the Athens Biennial 2016
- BUREAU FOR PUBLIC INSECURITIES: Group Show, Sao Paulo Art Biennial, Sao Paulo, Brazil. The show is Curated by Avenir Institute
- VOICES OUTSIDE THE ECHO CHAMBER: Myth, Fact and the Framing of Migration, Group Show, Framer Framed, Platform and Exhibition space for Transcultural Contemporary Art and Critical Theory and Practice, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- OLIA LIALINA - 20 YEARS OF MY BOYFRIEND CAME BACK FROM THE WAR, Group show, MU, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- MA, Graphic Design and Visual Communication, Sandberg Institute, Gerrit Rietveld Academy, Amsterdam,The Netherland, 2008
- BA, Graphic Design and Visual Communication, ArtEZ Academy for visual Art, Arnhem, The Netherland, 2006
- Data Visualization and Information Design
- Editorial Design and Digital Publishing
- Design Education and Curriculum Development
- Cross-Cultural Design
- Speculative Design