Ghalia Elsrakbi is a design professional, researcher, and design educator. After obtaining her a Master's degree in Design at the Sandberg Institute, Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam, she joined the post-academic interdisciplinary program " Design Negation" at Jan van Eyck Academy in Maastricht where her research was dedicated to the investigation of populist politics from the perspective of design and theory.
In 2009, she co-founded with South African designer Lauren Alexander , an art, and design practice based in Amsterdam. Foundland’s projects explore under-represented political and historical narratives by working with archives via art, design, writing, educational formats, video making, and storytelling. It aims to critically reflect upon what it means to produce politically engaged work from the position of non-Western artists working between Europe and the Middle East.
She is a co-founder and the Artistic Director of , Electronic and New Media arts festival in Cairo, a jury member for t in Linz, Austria. Ghalia has lectured and exhibited widely in Europe, the United States and the Middle East including Centre Pompidou (FR), The Rotterdam International Film Festival(NL), ISPC (NYC), Ars Electronica, Linz (AT), IMPAKT Festival (NL), London Art Fair (UK), Beursschouwburg, Brussels, Fikra Design Biennial (UAE), Porto Design Biennial (PT), Amman Design week (JOR)
Elsrakbi was awarded the in 2015/2016 for research in the Faris and Yamna Naff Arab American Collection at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington DC, and was shortlisted for the Dutch as well as the .
- Selected Topic in Information Design
- Selected Topic in Information Design ( Mapping Citizenship ) Co-taught with Yasmine Moataz Ahmed ( Department of Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Egyptology
- “Real-time History” Group Show, Galeria Municipal, Porto. :
- “Ground plan Drawings” Group Show, Hangar exhibition curated by architect Noura Al Sayeh-Holtrop, Amman Jordan.
- : Department of Flying Saucers, Group Show, Sharjah, UAE
- “Real-time History”,, Group Show, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Group Show, Halle (Saale), Germany
- “Real-time History”, Group Show, POSTCITY, Bunker, Linz, Austria ,
- , Group Show, Muzeum Sztuki for Modern Art, Łódz, Poland
- The Bight Future Shorts screening program, Border Crossings at IFFR. Screaming of “ The New World, Episode One”.
- Group Show, Photo50 London Art Fair, London, UK.
- Group Show, “ The New World, Episode One” project premier, Centre Pompidou, Paris
- , Group Show, Arti et Amicitiae, Amsterdam.
- Group Show, Harlan Levey Projects Gallery, Brussels, Belgium
- : Performance at Symposium in Athens, as part of the Athens Biennial 2016.
- : Group Show, Sao Paulo Art Biennial, Sao Paulo, Brazil. The show is Curated by .
- “Framer Framed” Platform and Exhibition space for Transcultural Contemporary Art and Critical Theory & Practice, Amsterdam, the Netherlands , Group Show,
- , Group show, MU, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Data Visualization and Information Design
- Editorial Design and Digital Publishing
- Design Education and Curriculum Development
- Cross-Cultural Design
- Speculative Design
- MA.(DES) Graphic Design and Visual Communication,
Sandberg Institute, Gerrit Rietveld Academy, Amsterdam,The Netherland, 2008
- BA. Graphic Design and Visual Communication, ArtEZ Academy for visual Art,
Arnhem, The Netherland, 2006