Dina H. Bassiouni is an associate professor of marketing at The American University in Cairo (AUC). Bassiouni's PhD was earned from the School of Management, Royal Holloway University of London, United Kingdom, and entailed a study of children's engagement with and consumption of hedonic technologies, namely computer and video games from developmental, social and educational perspectives. Before undertaking her PhD, she was a professional consumer and market research expert. Bassiouni also holds a first-class honors degree from The American University in Cairo (Summa Cum Laude) and is an associate fellow member of the UK Higher Education Academy. Bassiouni has presented her research at several international conferences in marketing and children's studies including Annual Macromarketing Conference, Global Brand Conference, and Child and Teen Consumption Conference. Her research has been published in journals such as Marketing Intelligence and Planning Journal, Information Technology and People journal, Young Consumers, Journal of Marketing Communication as well as the Journal of Customer Behaviour. Bassiouni’s teaching focuses mainly on marketing, advertising, and integrated promotional communications while emphasizing their role in shaping cultures and not just the economy as well as the rising trends in the era of media convergence. Her research interests are in the areas of consumer culture, marketing to children, advertising, and promotional communication management, as well as consumption in general with a special interest in hedonic technologies.
- Hackley, C; Hackley, RA and Bassiouni, DH. (2019) “Imaginary Futures: Liminoid Advertising and Consumer Identity.” Journal of Marketing Communications, DOI: 10.1080/13527266.2019.1694564
- Bassiouni, DH; Hackley, C and Meshreki, H (2019) ‘The integration of video games in family-life dynamics: An adapted technology acceptance model of family intention to consume video games’, Information Technology and People, https://doi.org/10.1108/ITP-11-2017-0375
- Hackley, C; Hackley, RA and Bassiouni, DH (2018) ‘Implications of the Selfie for Marketing Management Practice in the Era of Celebrity’, Marketing Intelligence and Planning, Vol. 36 Issue: 1, pp.49-62, available at https://doi.org/10.1108/MIP-07-2017-0124
- Bassiouni, DH and Hackley, C. (2016) ‘Video games and young children’s evolving sense of identity: A qualitative study’, Young Consumers, 17(2), pp. 127–142. doi: 10.1108/yc-08-2015-00551.
- Bassiouni, DH and Hackley, C. (2014) ‘Generation Z’ Children’s Adaptation to Digital Consumer Culture: A Critical Literature Review’. Journal of Customer Behaviour, Vol. 13, No. 2, Summer 2014, pp. 113-133(21). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1362/147539214X14024779483591
Marketing to children
Advertising and promotional communication management
Consumption in general with a special interest in hedonic technologies