Carie Forden received her PhD in social psychology from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1990. She enjoys teaching and mentoring students and has published and presented on the teaching of psychology. One of her teaching innovations, an online partnership between students at The American University in Cairo (AUC), was recognized with an Action Teaching Award by The Social Psychology Network in the United States. Her early research focused on the psychology of gender. It included two books: Readings in the Psychology of Gender: Exploring our Commonalities and Differences and Readings in the Psychology of Women: Dimensions of the Female Experience.
Forden currently works as a community psychologist and has served as an evaluation consultant and trainer to nonprofit and governmental agencies, both in the United States and Egypt, including the World Health Organisation, Drosos Foundation, and Wataneya Society for the Development of Orphanages. She is currently involved in a multi-year collaboration with UNICEF, the Ministry of Social Solidarity and the National Council for Childhood and Motherhood to build capacity among Egyptian child protection social workers. In the area of community psychology, Forden has published on smoking prevention, community psychology in Egypt, and organizational capacity-building. She was recognized by AUC’s Academic Civic Engagement program for her faculty-community partnership with Wataneya Society in 2017.
- Shash, F.G. and Forden, C. (2016). Gender equality in a time of change: Gender mainstreaming after Egypt’s Arab Spring. Women’s Studies International Forum, 56, 74-82.
- Forden, C. and Carrillo, A. (2015). Smoking and attitudes toward smoking policy at a university in Egypt. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse.
- Forden, C. and Carrillo, A. (2015). A reflection on the impact of culture on campus-community partnerships to build evaluation capacity in rural Pennsylvania and urban Cairo. Community Psychology in Global Perspective, 1, 86-104.
- Slattery, J.M. and Forden, C.L. (2014). What psychology students learn: Ten skills that any employer will appreciate. Eye on Psi Chi, 19 (1), 14-17.
- Forden, C. and Carrillo, A. (2014). Integrating global learning into a psychology course using an online platform. Psychology Learning and Teaching, 13 (3), 270-278.
- Carrillo, A. and Forden, C. (2013). Community psychology practice competencies in Egypt: Challenges and opportunities. Global Journal of Community Psychology, 4 (4), 1-12.
- PhD, 1990, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- MA, 1986, State University of New York at Stony Brook
- BA, 1978, University of California at Santa Cruz
- Consultation to Nonprofit Organizations
- Internship in Community Psychology
- Community Assessment and Program Evaluation
- Prevention and Intervention in Communities
- Community Psychology and Systems Theory
- Introduction to Psychology
- Theories of Personality
- Community Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Psychology of Happiness