Amr Goneid is a Tenured Professor of Computer Science in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the American University in Cairo.
Amr Goneid joined AUC in 1990 and served as the Chair of the Computer Science Department from 1994 to 2002. He also served as the Director of Graduate Programs in the Department from 2007 to 2011, the Vice Chair of the University Senate (2010 – 2011) and the Chair of the Senate Curriculum Committee from 2010 to 2014.
Amr Goneid has over 45 years of academic experience and has published more than 125 scientific papers in International & Local professional journals and conferences. His current research interests are in Algorithms, Image processing, Pattern Analysis and Cryptography.
Prior to joining AUC, Amr Goneid served as the Professor of Computational Physics at Ain Shams University as well as the Director of its Scientific Computing Center. From 2002 to 2008, he served as the Secretary of the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities (SCU) Committee for Computer and Information Sciences.Over 13 years (1992 – 2005), he has also co-chaired the annual International Conference on AI Applications and served as co-editor of its proceedings.
Amr Goneid holds a B.Sc. degree in Physics from Ain Shams University and earned his M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Computational Physics from that university. He is a member of the IEEE Computer Society and is a Founding Member of the Egyptian Computer Society (ECS). Dr. Goneid was awarded the Egyptian State Prize (Ameen Lotfy Prize) for Physics in 1971 and received the Egyptian First Degree Order of Sciences and Arts in 1973. He was also honored several times by the Egyptian Computer Society for distinguished contributions to the development of Computer Science studies.
Research and Publications
Amr Goneid has co-authored 4 text books in Computer Science (in Arabic) and published more than 125 scientific papers in International & Local professional journals and International and Local Conference Proceedings. He has also supervised / co-supervised 58 M.Sc. and Ph.D. theses which have already been awarded the degrees at AUC and in National Universities.
Some Recent Publications
- Marwa Mahmoud, Rana El-Kaliouby and Amr Goneid, (2009) “Towards Communicative face occlusions: Machine Detection of Hand-Over-FaceGestures”, Book Chapter in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, Vol. 5627, 481-490.
- Sarah Adel Bargal, Rana El Kaliouby, Amr Goneid, AnasNayfeh, (2012), “Classification of Mouth Action Units using Local Binary Patterns”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition, IPCV'12, July 16-19, 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Vol.II, 956-961, Pub:WORLDCOMP’12, ISBN #:1-60132-224-0,
- Ahmed Mahmoud Abbas, Amr Goneid, Sherif El-Kassas, (2014), "Privacy Amplification in Quantum Cryptography BB84 using Combined Univarsal2-Truly Random Hashing ", International Journal of Information & Network Security (IJINS), Vol.3, No.2, April 2014, pp. 98-115 (ISSN: 2089-3299)
- Abeer Kamel, Amr Goneid, Daniah Mokhtar (2016), "Ordering of Dominant Independent Components in Time Series Analysis using Fast ICA Algorithm",Egyptian Computer Science Journal, Vol. 41 No. 2, May 2017(ISSN-1110-2586)
- Image processing and Pattern Analysis
- Algorithms for Multi-Dimensional Signal Analysis
- Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Cryptography