Distinguished University Professor and chair of the Department of Mathematics and Actuarial Science. He is the founder of the Actuarial Science Program and former vice provost and director of graduate studies and research at AUC.
Hadi received his PhD degree with honors from New York University in 1984. Prior to joining AUC in 2000, he has worked at Cornell University for 17 years during which he has held the ranks of assistant, associate and full professor and has served as the chair of the Department of Social Statistics from 1994-98. He is also a Stephen Weiss Presidential Fellow and Professor Emeritus at Cornell University.
Hadi is a former Distinguished Visiting Professor at AUC and Clemson University and a former Visiting Professor at the University of Castilla La Mancha (Spain), Neuchâtel University (Switzerland), University of Carlos III (Spain), Cantabria University (Spain), Umea University (Sweden), and New York University.
Hadi has written five books, four book chapters and more than 100 articles in refereed journals. See Google’s Scholar Citation Indices. He has taught graduate and undergraduate courses in statistics, mathematics, expert systems and artificial intelligence; and has won several excellence in research and excellence in teaching awards. He is a co-editor of the Journal of Economic and Social Research, editor-in-chief of a Special issue of the International Journal of Statistical Sciences, a former editor-in-chief of the International Statistical Review, which is the flagship journal of the International Statistical Institute (ISI) and of its family of Associations. He is a former editor of the Newsletter of the International Environmetrics society, an Associate Editor of Environmetrics, and an Associate Editor of TEST: Journal of the Spanish Statistical and Operations Research Society. He is an elected fellow of the American Statistical Association and an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. For more information, check Hadi's personal website.Publications
- Chatterjee, S. and Hadi, A. S. (2006), Regression Analysis by Example, (4th Edition) New York: John Wiley & Sons. Translated into Chinese and published by China Statistics Press of The People’s Republic of China.
- Castillo, E., Hadi, A. S., Balakrishnan, N., and Sarabia, J. M. (2005), Extreme Value and Related Models with Applications in Engineering and Science, John Wiley & Sons.
- Castillo, E., Gutiérrez, J. M., and Hadi, A. S. (1997), Expert Systems and Probabilistic Network Models, New York: Springer-Verlag. Translated to Spanish and published by the Spanish Academy of Engineers.
- Hadi, A. S. (1996), Matrix Algebra as a Tool, Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press.
- Chatterjee, S. and Hadi, A. S. (1988), Sensitivity Analysis in Linear Regression, New York: John Wiley & Sons.
Awards and Honors
- 2011:Elected President of ISOSS (The Islamic Countries Society of Statistical Sciences)
- 2010: First recipient of the Distinguished University Professor title, The America University in Cairo
- 2010: Received the President’s Distinguished Service Award, The America University in Cairo
- 2009: Elected Editor-in-Chief of the International Statistical Review, the flagship journal of the International Statistical Institute.
- 2007: Received the Excellence in Research and Creative Endeavor Award, The American University in Cairo.
- 2001: The paper "Some Applications of Functional Networks in Statistics and Engineering" has been selected the "2001 Technometrics Invited Paper" and presented at the 2001 Joint Annual Meetings of five statistical societies.
- 2000: Who's Who Among America's Teachers.
- 1998: Named the Stephen H. Weiss Award.
- 1998: Elected Member of the International Statistical Institute.
- 1997: Elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association.
- 1997: Schering-Plough Award for Exemplary Teaching, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University.
- 1993: Outstanding Educator Award for having most influenced a Merrill Presidential Scholar, Cornell University.
- 1992: One of two university-wide faculty who received the Amoco Foundation Faculty Award in recognition of demonstrated superior teaching skills over a period of several years, Cornell University.
- 1991: Elected as an honorary member of the Golden Key National Honors Society in recognition of dedication and commitment to teaching.
- 1984: Herman E. Krooss Award: Given to Ph.D. graduate who has completed the course of studies with distinction and has presented an outstanding doctoral dissertation.
- 1983: The Institute of Management Sciences, Metropolitan New York Chapter's Outstanding Achievements Award.
- 1972: Dr. Bakr Hussein's Statistics Cup, Ain Shams University.
- 1984: PhD, New York University
- 1982: MPhil, New York University
- 1980: MSc, New York University
- 1972: BCom, Ain Shams University
- MATH 112: Statistical Reasoning
- MATH 131: Calculus I
- MATH 304: Numerical Methods
- MATH 306: Applied Probability
- MATH 317: Probability and Statistics
- MATH 405: Statistical Inference
- MATH 427: Applied Regression Methods
- MATH 429: Applied Multivariate Analysis
- CSCI 585: Selected Topics in Computer Science
- Regression and Multivariate analysis
- Visualization of massive hyper dimensional Data (Big Data)
- Expert Systems and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence
- Neural, Bayesian, Markov, and Functional Networks
- Matrix Algebra and its applications