Ahmed Tolba is a marketing professor at The American University in Cairo (AUC) and chair of the Management Department. He was awarded his PhD from George Washington University (GWU) in 2006; his MBA and BSc from AUC in 1997 and 2001, respectively.
His research focuses on brand equity, innovation marketing, online marketing, nation branding, social marketing and entrepreneurship. He published in leading academic journals and conferences. He also co-authored the leading textbook “Principles of Marketing: Arab World Edition” with marketing gurus Philip Kotler and Gary Armstrong.
His teaching experience includes ten different courses in marketing and business strategy. He received AUC’s Teaching Excellence Award (June 2010) and the School of Business Teaching Award (May 2009). His professional experience includes four years at Procter and Gamble Egypt and ten years of business consultancy and executive education for prominent companies and leaders in Egypt and the Middle East.
- Principles of Marketing: Arab World Edition, Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Social Marketing in Egypt: A Case Study on the Use of Marketing by Nahdet El Mahrousa NGO, IGI Global Publishing.
- Ariel Egypt: From Market Penetration to Fierce Competition, IGI Global Publishing.
Latest Journal Articles
- Bakr, Yousra, Ahmed Tolba and Hakim Meshreki (2018), Drivers of SMS Advertising Acceptance: A Mixed Methods Approach, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing.
- Ismail, A. A. Tolba, S. Ghalwash, A. Alkhatib, E. Karadeniz, K. El Ouazzani, F. Boutaleb, L. Belkacem and T. Shott (2018) Inclusion in entrepreneurship, especially of women, youth and unemployed: status and an agenda for research in Middle East and North Africa, World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustianable Development, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp 528-47.
- Seham Ghalwash, Ahmed Tolba, Ayman Ismail, (2017) What motivates social entrepreneurs to start social ventures?: An exploratory study in the context of a developing economy, Social Enterprise Journal, Vol. 13 Issue: 3, pp.268-298. [Received the Emerald Literai Award]
- Bakr, Yousra and Ahmed Tolba (2016), Antecedents of SMS Advertising Acceptance: A Grounded Theory Approach, International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Vol. 10, No. 1/2, 28-53.
- Tolba, Ahmed, Iman Seoudi and Khadiga Fahmy (2016), Factors Influencing Intentions of Egyptian MSME Owners in Taking Commercial Bank Loans, Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 27, No. 6, 497-518.
- Enabling Entrepreneurship in Egypt: Towards a Sustainable Dynamic Model, MIT Press.
- The Impact of Distribution Intensity on Brand Preference and Brand Loyalty, International Journal of Marketing Studies.
- Individual and Cultural Factors Affecting Diffusion of Innovation, Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies.
- Factors Affecting Country Brand Equity: A Business Perspective, Proceedings of the 2011 Academy of Marketing Science Conference.
- A Capability Approach to Female Entrepreneurs and Social Justice, The American University in Cairo’s Annual Research Conference.
- Journal Editor, Innovations MENA Journal
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, Thought Leaders International Conference in Brand Management
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, The 16th IBIMA Conference
- Committee Member, Assurance of Learning
- Reviewer, Journal Article, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics
- Reviewer, Conference Paper, The 40th. European Marketing Academy Conference
- Member, Egyptian National Competitiveness Council
- Member, Human Resource Competitiveness Council
In the Media
- Discussed the role of marketing and case studies in education, Nile TV, 2012.
- Quoted in Marketing Should Focus on Long-Term Gains, Says Expert” by Menna Taher, Daily News Egypt, 2009.
- PhD, 2006, The George Washington University, Washington, DC, United States
- MBA, 2001, The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
- BSc, 1997, The American University in Cairo, Cairo, Egypt
- Teacher of the Year, 2010, The American University in Cairo
- Teaching Excellence, 2009, The American University in Cairo
- Marketing Strategy
- International Marketing
- Global Marketing
- Marketing Research
- Advanced Marketing Research
- Business Consultancy
- Principles of Marketing
- Marketing Management
- Brand Equity
- Nation Branding
- Social Marketing
- Innovation Marketing
- Online Marketing