Ahmed Moustafa is an associate professor of bioinformatics at The American University of Cairo with a tenured appointment in the Department of Biology. He is also an adjunct scientist in the Department of Medical Genomics at J. Craig Venter Institute.
Ahmed’s research focuses on elucidating the interaction between microbiome and human genetic variation and its association with health and disease. He is also interested in deciphering the functional and pathogenic roles of the non-coding component of the human genome. To achieve these goals, he uses genomic analytics, statistical genetics, and machine learning to analyze high-dimensional datasets generated from high-throughput experimental protocols, from genomic and transcriptomic to proteomic and metabolomic.
Ahmed has co-authored many highly cited publications in prominent journals. His research has been funded by various funding agencies including NIH, NSF, and NASA.
Ahmed grew up in Alexandria where he graduated with BSc in Computer Science from Alexandria University. After completing his PhD in genetics at the University of Iowa, he received a postdoctoral fellowship at J. Craig Venter Institute prior to joining The American University in Cairo.
- Ahmed Moustafa, Weizhong Li, Harinder Singh, Kelvin J. Moncera, Manolito G. Torralba, Yanbao Yu, Oriol Manuel, William Biggs, J. Craig Venter, Karen E. Nelson, Rembert Pieper, Amalio Telenti. Microbial metagenome of urinary tract infection. Scientific Reports. 2018 March 12. pmid: 29531289 | doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-22660-8
- Ahmed Moustafa, Brigid S. Boland, Weizhong Li, Ericka L. Anderson, Emily H. M. Wong, Parambir S. Dulai, William J. Sandborn, William Biggs, J. Craig Venter, Karen E. Nelson, Amalio Telenti, John T. Chang. Genetic risk, dysbiosis, and treatment stratification using host genome and gut microbiome in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology. 2018 January 18. pmid: 29345635 | doi: 10.1038/ctg.2017.58
- Ahmed Moustafa, Chao Xie, Ewen Kirkness, William Biggs, Emily Wong, Yaron Turpaz, Kenneth Bloom, Eric Delwart, Karen E. Nelson, J. Craig Venter, Amalio Telenti. The blood DNA virome in 8,000 humans. PLOS Pathogens. 2017 March 22. pmid: 28328962 | doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1006292.
- Amalio Telenti, Levi T Pierce, William H Biggs, Julia di Iulio, Emily H.M. Wong, Martin M Fabani, Ewen F Kirkness, Ahmed Moustafa, Naisha Shah, Chao Xie, Suzanne C Brewerton, Nadeem Bulsara, Chad Garner, Gary Metzker, Efren Sandoval, Brad A Perkins, Franz J Och, Yaron Turpaz, J. Craig Venter. Deep Sequencing of 10,000 Human Genomes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2016 October 4. pmid: 27702888 | doi: 10.1073/pnas.1613365113
- BIOL 2090 - Quantitative Biology
- BIOL 3130 - Molecular Evolution and Population Genetics
- BIOL 3600 - Introduction to Bioinformatics
- BIOT 5206 - Fundamentals of Bioinformatics
- BIOT 6206 - Computational Genomics and Transcriptomics
- BIOT 6207 - Systems and Computational Biology