Ahmed S. El-Gendy is a professor (tenure) at The American University in Cairo (AUC). El-Gendy is a holder of a BSc in civil engineering and an MSc in environmental engineering from Ain Shams University, Egypt. He gained his PhD in environmental engineering from the University of Windsor, Canada. Prior to joining the AUC, he was an associate professor of environmental engineering at Aim Shams University. El-Gendy taught different environmental engineering courses at different universities in Egypt and Canada. He also has had a variety of experiences, becoming exposed to different research communities. He was a full-bright scholar (research grant) at the University of Iowa, United States. He was also a visiting professor at the University of Windsor. In addition to his academic work, he was a consultant for several professional firms in Egypt, where he provided professional training and support in the areas of environmental engineering. At AUC, he teaches environmental engineering courses in addition to several basic engineering courses. He is also responsible for the environmental engineering laboratory.
- El-Gendy, A.S., Li, J. and Biswas, N. (2008) Treatment of combine sewer overflow using retention treatment basin assisted with Polymer chemical coagulation Water. Environmental Research, Vol. 80, No. 9, 774-783.
- El-Gendy, A.S. (2008) Modelling of Heavy Metals Removal from Municipal Landfill Leachate Using Living Biomass of water Hyacinth. International Journal of Phytoremediation, Vol. 10,14-30.
- El-Gendy, A.S., Svingos, S., Brice, D., Garretson, J.H. and Schnoor, J.L. (2009) Assessment of the Efficacy of a Long-Term Application of a Phytoremediation System Using Hybrid Poplar Trees at Former Oil Tank Farm Sites. Water Environmental Research, Volume 81, Number 5, 486-498.
- El-Gendy, A.S., Talamilla, A.E., Chapman, B. and Schnoor, J. (2010) Beneficial Effects of Oxygen Addition and Hybrid Poplar Phytoremediation of Petroleum Contaminated Soils: Laboratory Scale Experiments. Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A: Toxic/Hazardous Substance & Environmental Engineering, Volume 45, 1492-1503.
- Sabry, T.I., El-Gendy, A.S. and El-Gohary, F.A. (2011) An Integrated Anaerobic-Aerobic System for Wastewater Treatment in Rural Areas. Tenth Specialized Conference on Small Water and Wastewater Treatment Systems 2011, 18-22 April 2011, Venice, Italy.
- El-Gendy, A.S., Sabry, T.I., and El-Gohary, F.A. (2011) The Use of AN Aerobic Biological Filter for Improving the Effluent Quality of A Two-Stage Anaerobic System. International Water Technology Journal (IWTJ), Volume 2, No.4.
- ENGR 261 - Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics
- CENG 471 - Environmental and Sanitary Engineering
- ENVE 561 - Water Quality Control
- Water and waste water treatment
- Low-cost wastewater systems for small communities
- Solid waste management
- Remediation of contaminated sites