Ahmed Abdellatif is an assistant professor of biology at the School of Sciences and Engineering at The American University in Cairo. He received an MSc and a PhD from the University of Louisville, School of Medicine in Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology. He also earned an MBBCH and a master of science in anatomy and embryology from Alexandria University School of Medicine. Before joining AUC, he was an assistant professor in biomedical sciences at the Sherman College of Chiropractic and the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine. Previously, he was the director of the biomedical sciences graduate program at Barry University in Florida. Abdellatif has been involved in curriculum design for medical education and taught medical and graduate courses in human anatomy, neurosciences, and human physiology.
- Ibrahim, S., A. Amer, K. A. ElKashishy, D. Sami, H. Nofal and A. Abdellatif (2020). “Practical compendium for psoriasis management.” Dermatologic Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1111/dth.13243
- Ibrahim, S., A. Amer, K. A. ElKashishy, D. Sami, H. Nofal and A. Abdellatif (2020). "Turmeric extract-based therapy for psoriasis." ZUMJ. DOI: 10.21608/ZUMJ.2020.20702.1648
Abou Zekry, S. S., A. Abdellatif and H. M. E. Azzazy (2020). "Fabrication of pomegranate/honey nanofibers for use as antibacterial wound dressings." Wound Medicine 28: 100181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wndm.2020.100181
Mousa, N. O., A. Osman, N. Fahmy, A. Abdellatif, S. Zada, and H. El-Fawal (2020). Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Diagnosis: Past and Present Perspectives. In Rare Books, January 2020. IntechOpen. https://doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.90862
Mousa, N. O., A. Abdellatif, N. Fahmy, S. Zada, H. El-Fawal and A. Osman (2019). "Circulating MicroRNAs in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy." Clin Neurol Neurosurg 189: 105634 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2019.105634
Sami, D. G., A. Abdellatif (2019). “Histological and clinical evaluation of wound healing in a Novel Animal Model of Pressure Ulcer.” Journal of Wound Care (in press).
Essa, R., A. M. El Sadek, M. E. Baset, M. A. Rawash, D. G. Sami, M. T. Badawy, M. E. Mansour, H. Attia, M. K. Saadeldin and A. Abdellatif (2019). "Effects of Turmeric (Curcuma longa) Extract in a streptozocin-induced diabetic model." J Food Biochem 43(9): e12988. .
Balbaa, A. O., A. A. El-Fattah, N. M. Awad and A. Abdellatif (2019). "Effects of nanoscale electric fields on the histology of liver cell dysplasia." Nanomedicine (Lond) 14(5): 515-528. https://doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2018-0260
Sami, D. G., H. H. Heiba and A. Abdellatif (2019). "Wound healing models: A systematic review of animal and non-animal models." Wound Medicine 24(1): 8-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wndm.2018.12.001
- Attia, H., M. Taha and A. Abdellatif (2019). "Effects of aging on the myelination of the optic nerve in rats." Int J Neurosci 129(4): 320-324 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207454.2018.1529670
- Ismail, M., S. Ibrahim, A. El-Amir, A. M. El-Rafei, N. K. Allam and A. Abdellatif (2018). "Genistein Loaded Nanofibers Protect Spinal Cord Tissue Following Experimental Injury in Rats." Biomedicines 6(4); https://doi.org/10.3390/biomedicines6040096.
- Bazan, A., T. Salem, H. Abostate, A. Abdellatif. (2018). Potential Applications of newly detected chromosomal toxin-antitoxin operons in a clinical isolate of Klebsiella Pneumoniae. Central European Symposium on Antimicrobials and antimicrobial resistance CESARS, Croatia.
- Sami, D. G., H. Heiba, A. Abdellatif, H. Azzazy. (2018). Natural Herbal Remedies for the Treatment of Skin Ulcers in Diabetic Animal Model. Biotechnology, Rome.
- Bazan, A., T. Salem, A. Abdellatif, H. Abostate. (2018). Computational Insights into the chromosomal type II toxin-antitoxin system in a clinical isolate of Klebsiella Pneumoniae. American Society of Microbiology, Atlanta.
- Abu Hussein S., H. Attia, A. Abdellatif. (2015). Curcumin decreases secondary damage and improves function following spinal cord injury. Society for Neurosciences.
- Nathaniel, T. I., E. Otukonyong, A. Abdellatif and J. O. Soyinka (2012). "Effect of hypoxia on metabolic rate, core body temperature, and c-fos expression in the naked mole rat." Int J Dev Neurosci. 30(6): 539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2012.04.004
- Abdellatif, A. A., J. L. Pelt, R. L. Benton, R. M. Howard, P. Tsoulfas, P. Ping, X. M. Xu and S. R. Whittemore (2006). "Gene delivery to the spinal cord: comparison between lentiviral, adenoviral, and retroviral vector delivery systems." J Neurosci Res 84(3): 553-567. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.20968
Abdellatif’s research group is interested in the biomedical applications of natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds and their role in tissue repair in skin disorders, and diabetes. They are also studying various aspects of CNS disorders, such as aging, dementia, and other neurodegenerative diseases.