Undergraduate Research Program
Mission and Vision
- Institutionalize, support and expand opportunities for undergraduate student research and creative achievement
- Nurture amongst the academic community, across the disciplines, a culture of research and development, and the drive to advance the liberal education outcomes of undergraduate inquiry and critical and creative competence
- Life-long passion for conducting and sharing critical and creative inquiry
- Integrity in data collection, analysis, documentation, and dissemination
- Inclusion and respect for diverse research teams and subjects
- Innovation and problem-solving for social value and creative expression
- Develop the program, on an ongoing basis, building on the advisory council of key stakeholders
- Promote undergraduate research and creative works through activities, periodic events, and ongoing services to students, graduate fellows and academic faculty members
- Document undergraduate written, oral and visual outcomes, faculty pedagogical experiences, and graduate fellows’ mentoring reflections
- Reward exemplary performance and provide grants to support undergraduate research
- Evaluate program outcomes through continuous research and assessment
Undergraduate Research Support Grants
- The Office of Undergraduate Research offers funding for AUC-enrolled undergraduate students to support original research or creative work. Three types of grants are available: Travel Grants to support students who are traveling to present at conferences, exhibitions, competitions; a Mini-Grant to assist with costs for materials and resources needed for research or creative work; and a Research Internship Grant to support students working as research assistants or fellows with faculty at universities outside of Egypt.
- The Annual Conference for Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Entrepreneurship and Creative Achievement (EURECA) is an opportunity for students to share in the social construction of knowledge, sharpen critical thinking and expression skills -- written, oral and visual -- and engage in interdisciplinary dialogue. EURECA features students’ oral, multimedia or poster presentations, published articles, works of fiction, theater or dance performances, musical compositions, photo essays, social documentaries, entrepreneurial business plans, or innovative models.
URJe – The Undergraduate Research Journal
- This is a multi-modal, multi-disciplinary, refereed annual publication for undergraduate research and creative works. URJe uses an open-access digital platform on Open Journal Systems. URJe is committed to showcasing student works of inquiry and investigation in a variety of genres – research articles, essays, case studies, reviews, creative writing, documentaries, entrepreneurial proposals, pdfs of poster presentations and audio/visual recordings of various artistic forms of expression. The Undergraduate Research Journal is a registered publication with the following serial number for both print and online versions: ISSN 2356-8976
NUR – The Newsletter for Undergraduate Research
- NUR is the channel through which undergraduate opportunities and achievements are communicated. Excellent research and creative works are highlighted, and events are announced.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research offers workshops, resources, and online tutorials each semester.
Council on Undergraduate Research Membership
AUC is a member of the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), an organization of over 900 higher education institutions seeking to promote and enhance undergraduate research on their campuses.
CUR Definition of Undergraduate Research
"An inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contributions to a discipline."
Benefits of Undergraduate Research
CUR articulates the following benefits of undergraduate research:
- Enhances student learning through mentoring relationships with faculty
- Increases retention
- Increases enrollment in graduate education and provides effective career preparation
- Develops critical thinking, creativity, problem-solving and intellectual independence
- Develops an understanding of research methodology
- Promotes an innovation-oriented culture