The American University in Cairo has two categories of fellowships: institutional and sponsored. Institutional fellowships are funded by the University while sponsored fellowships are from private endowments and donors.
Fellowships are highly competitive awards. They are open to new students and may also be available to continuing graduate students who display superior performance in their academic endeavors, depending on the availability of allocated funds for a given fellowship award.
While both types of fellowships recognize high achieving applicants, the University considers financial need as well as academic merit. Preference is given to those who wish to pursue full-time study in a graduate program at AUC.
- The graduate admission application must be submitted at least two weeks before the fellowship deadline
- Graduate diploma seeking students are not eligible to apply for the institutional fellowships
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng.), and Master in Computing (M.Comp.) degree-seeking students are not eligible to apply for the institutional fellowships
- Non-degree students are not eligible to apply for institutional fellowships
- AUC community members (faculty/staff/dependent) cannot benefit from fellowship support alongside AUC's tuition remission benefit
- Graduate students found in breach of academic integrity will be automatically rendered as ineligible for a fellowship
Study abroad financial support is available for non-degree graduate students. For more information, click here
To compete for the fellowship as a graduate student, you must have completed your AUC application for admission. Priority will be given to fully admitted applicants into a given graduate program. Applicants who are provisionally admitted with prerequisite courses, including remedial English language, are eligible for fellowship support, except where the specific fellowship listing states otherwise. Applicants who are provisionally admitted with the condition of achieving certain grades in one or more graduate courses are eligible to apply for fellowships.
You do not need to receive your letter of admission prior to your submission of a fellowship application online.
Fellowship awards can be given in the form of full tuition fees coverage of nine credits per semester or partial tuition fees coverage between one and eight credits. Unless specified in the fellowship letter of award, graduate students must apply for renewal every semester. Renewal is neither guaranteed nor automatic.
The selection of fellowship awards is conducted through a selection committee. Each fellowship application is thoroughly reviewed by the selection committee. Fellowship committee members take into consideration academic performance, individual circumstances and demand for a fellowship from other applicants.
Fellowship Duration and Renewal
Institutional fellowship awards are usually for one semester. You must reapply every semester if you continue to demonstrate academic excellence and financial need. Fellowships may or may not be available in the summer and winter sessions. For externally funded fellowships (non-institutional awards) you need to check the specified duration of coverage and terms provided in your signed letter of award. Some of the externally funded fellowships available provide coverage of remedial English courses.
- It is the responsibility of applicants who are seeking financial support provided by the institution to remain informed of the fellowship and financial aid application deadlines
- Fellows who are assigned a number of working hours with their program of study that will involve teaching assistantship must attend a mandatory teaching assistantship training. For details and more information about teaching assistantships, click here.
New Applicants to Fellowships:
The system will not allow you to apply for fellowships unless your graduate admission application is on record. If you have already or recently submitted your graduate admission application and received a student ID number, allow seven working days before starting the online fellowship web application process.
If, one week after receiving your student ID number, the system still does not allow you to start the process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for technical assistance.
Continuing Graduate Students Applying for Fellowships:
If you already have a Banner Self-Service account, feel free to proceed and complete the fellowship application once you have checked the eligibility requirements by the announced deadlines.
Recipients of Externally Funded Fellowships:
The inability or unwillingness to provide any of the below gives nominated candidates the right to decline the award of a fellowship.
You must agree to the following terms and be committed to:
- Respond to any reporting requests which may include an academic performance progress report and photo by the announced deadline.
- Attend scholarship/fellowship orientation events or any meetings requested which may include events with the donors.