Fellowships in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) are offered annually to full-time students who wish to pursue a master degree in TESOL program and to acquire language teaching experience at The American University in Cairo.
- Open to all nationalities
- For new graduate degree-seeking students; satisfy AUC graduate admissions requirements
- Full admission to the TESOL program, satisfying the English language requirements for the TESOL fellowship
- Bachelor degree with a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent
- For continuing students; to retain the fellowship, the recipient must maintain a GPA of 3.2
- Native or near-native proficiency in English
- Special consideration in selection is given to those with TESOL experience in the Middle East; knowledge of Arabic or other languages; BA or coursework in linguistics, English, or a related field
- Financial need
Two academic years and the intervening summer session, with a review every semester for satisfactory academic performance.
The fellowship covers:
- Tuition fees, for a maximum of nine credits per semester
Non-residents of Egypt are provided with accommodation in the AUC residences or with a monthly housing allowance, medical service and health insurance fees, and one-way home travel
Responsibilities of Fellows
- Fellows teach eight hours of English per week
- A teaching assistantship mandatory training must be completed if the fellow is involved in teaching assistantship duties. The training needs to be completed only once
- For details and more information about teaching assistantships, click here
Deadline: January 11 for the fall semester, October 15 for the spring semester.
For inquiries, send an email.