Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. When I click on submit, I receive an error note. What does it mean?

Q2. I want to apply for a grant to access a library/lab abroad. Which application form should I fill out, and what is the amount of funding I can receive?

Q3. I have been granted a research fund for this year, and I wish to apply for a conference grant as well. Would that be possible?

Q4. Is a visa fee included in the travel allowance in research or conference grants? 

Q5. I am applying for a conference grant in which I am not delivering a paper or giving any presentations. Can I still receive this grant under the new system?

Q6. An AUC faculty colleague and I have been working together on a presentation for a conference abroad. Can we both apply for the same conference?

Q7. How many conferences I can apply to per year?

Q8. I can’t log in to the system.

Q9. I have incorrect information on the homepage.

Q10. What do you mean by "retroactive applications"?

Q11. Reading the description of the Departmental Research Committee (DRC), it seems to me that each member of the committee is asked to hand in his or her review separately. Is that correct? If so, then what is the role of the committee?

Q12. Is the same DRC meant to be established for all cycles of a year?

Q13. I have a multi-year research project. Can I apply for a two years funding in the application?

Q14. When must a grant application for a conference that is taking place in June be submitted?

Q15. Can I request funding to attend two conferences taking place in the same month? There are two conferences in June at which I would like to present my research paper. The two conferences are in two different places.

Q16. I see two separate categories when it comes to budget research assistants. Once comes under the category of personnel and the rule of "not more than 60 percent of the requested funding." The other is for extra undergraduates at a cost of $500 per year per student up to three students. Is it correct that there are two different budget categories for research assistants (RAs)?

Q17. I have submitted an application for a conference grant; however, the conference will take place before receiving the award letter. Can I buy the ticket and attend the conference? This is not a retroactive application but rather an overlap situation.

Q18. If my research project involves human subjects, do I need to apply to and/or receive the Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval before I submit my Faculty Research Support Grant application or at some point before funds are actually "awarded" (i.e., transferred) for a successful application?

Q19. How to Hire a Research Assistant?

A1. Please make sure of the following:

1. Use the latest version of Google Chrome or Internet Explorer when accessing this system. 
2. When you fill the online application, please consider the following:

The total fund number should not contain a comma, dollar sign $ or any special character except a period.
The file size should be less than 3 MB.
The file name should not be long and should not contain special characters, such as a comma.
The file format can be PDF, XLS or Word.

A2. If your travel is part of a research project, you may apply for a research support grant. In this case, your professional trip should not exceed 40 percent of the maximum allowed fund. 
If your trip is part of the project to enhance teaching practices or courses across the University, you may apply to the Teaching and Learning Enhancement Support Grant. Again, your professional trip should not exceed 40 percent of the maximum allowed fund.

A3. Yes, eligible faculty members may simultaneously apply to all grant types. Yet, you can’t have two Research Support Grants or Teaching and Learning Enhancement Support Grants running at the same time.

A4. Yes, it is covered. You get 100 percent reimbursement for visa fees.

A5. No. You have to be an active participant in the conference (delivering a paper, giving a presentation, panelist, keynote speaker, chair, etc).

A6. No. Only one presenter can apply for that conference.

A7. You can apply to multiple conferences as long you didn’t exceed the maximum allowed fund.

A8. Please check the guidelines on the homepage for eligibility criteria. If you are eligible to a certain grant type and you still can’t log in to the system, contact Yvette Isaac in the provost’s office at

A9. Contact Yvette Isaac at

A10. There is a statement in the guidelines saying, "Retroactive applications will not be accepted." The definition of retroactive funding is any expenditures prior to the start date of the grant stated in the counter-signed agreement* by the grantee and the VPR. This means that an applicant is not allowed to perform any activity before the VPR office informs him or her that his or her support grant has been approved.
*There is a grant agreement issued by the VPR for each grant proposal and signed by the grantee and the VPR.

A11. Each DRC member shall review the applications independently. There is no role for the committee as a collective. The system will rank the proposal after averaging the reviews.

A12. The DRC's service duration is one academic year.

A13. Yes, you can state this in the application. Duration of proposals can be approved for a maximum of three years, but funding is approved on a yearly basis. 

A14. You need to submit your application as early as possible to avoid falling into the retroactive funding category. Retroactive funding is not allowed anymore. So, it is better that you submit your application early November. Applications can be submitted even if they don't have an acceptance letter from the conference. If accepted, funds will not be dispersed unless the acceptance letter is submitted.

A15.Yes, you may get funded for as many conference grants as you want as long as you didn't exceed the maximum allowed fund in a fiscal year.

A16. If you include RAs in your research, you may request up to $500 per student (for a maximum of three students) as extra funding. If this happens, then you may request up to $11,500 per year (instead of $10,000 per year). Therefore, if you request a total fund of $10,000, you may budget for a maximum of $6,000 for personnel cost. If you request a total fund of $ 11,500, then you may budget for a maximum of $6,900 for personnel cost.

A17. Any activity done (paid for) prior receiving the award letter is considered a retroactive funding. Retroactive funding is not allowed as per faculty support grants' guidelines. Exceptionally, retroactive funding is allowed during the first cycle of funding in FY15. So you may take the risk and pay for your conference travel, but there is no guarantee that you will get a reimbursement since we will not know the results of your submitted application before the end of its cycle.

A18. You can submit your application on time prior to receiving the IRB's approval; however, the money will not be transferred before you obtain and submit the IRB's approval.

A19. 1. Bring a copy of the RA's C.V.

2. Bring a copy of the RA's National ID

3. Fill in the Effort Report

4. Fill in the RA Contract to be signed by RA, PI, and Chair