Arabic Placement Sample Exam Instructions
Before you start working on your placement exam, you will be granted access to the sample exam three days prior the exam date. Taking the sample exam is essential to detect any IT problems that could face you in the exam day. In case any technical problem takes place in the sample exam, please contact IT support by opening a ticket at firstname.lastname@example.org
The sample exam is meant to give your hands on practice in using Respondus lockdown browser, and to familiarize you with the type of questions on the actual placement exam. Thus, feel free to answer, and review as much as you can of the sample exam. Kindly be informed that you have to download the lockdown browser in order to take the sample exam or the actual placement exam via Blackboard. Please download the Lockdown browser using the below links:
- Download Respondus Lockdown browser (Windows Version)
- Download Respondus Lockdown browser (Mac Version)
- Checklist for Respondus Issues (If you face any problem first check this check list to help you to fix it)
Click here to see this brief video that explains the basic features of Lockdown Browser and why it’s used by ALI department.
Steps to take the Sample exam:
- Download the Respondus Lockdown browser.
- Close all programs unless used to connect you to the internet
- Open the LockDown Browser, and if prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Choose Blackboard when prompted from the dropdown list, and login to Blackboard using your username and password as usual.
- Navigate to the Arabic Placement course. Inside course content (you will find the following):
- Sample Exam (**Webcam**) - Requires Respondus LockDown Browser
- Sample Exam Submission
Click Sample Exam (**Webcam**) - Requires Respondus LockDown Browser and click "Begin".
The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.).
You will be asked to do some checks and follow some guidelines to make sure the proctoring process is working fine. Please follow those steps.
When the actual exam opens, this part is for multiple-choice questions (Vocabulary and Structure - Reading Comprehension – Listening) - Writing)
When you reach the writing part, Do Not type your essay in the box below the writing topics instead:
- Choose a topic from the list of topics
- Write the heading of the topic, your name and AUC ID in a blank paper
- Handwrite the topic under the title making sure that your posture allows the camera to monitor you as you write.
- Show to the camera your writing upon completion of your writing exam.,
- Submit the exam immediately after showing it to the camera following the steps below:
- Scan your essay or taking a clear good quality photo of it using your mobile
- Open an internet browser (chrome or Firefox, not Safari) and login into your Blackboard account again
- Click on Arabic Placement and choose and click on Sample Exam Submission Attach your scanned essay
- Make sure to click submit.
- Upon submission you will be given a confirmation number at the top of the page, please save it.
The Actual Exam Sections:
Section 1: Vocabulary and Structure (25%)
Answer the 50 multiple-choice questions.
Section 2: Reading Comprehension (25%)
Answer the multiple-choice questions about the two reading passages.
Section 3: Listening (10%)
Listen to the audio text, then answer the multiple-choice questions.
Section 4: Writing an Essay (40%)
You will be given different topics and asked to write an essay on only one (not less than 250 words). The essay part should be handwritten.
In case of any problems, call this hotline 012.2900.5544 or via email at email@example.com
The Arabic placement online exam is being successfully transferred to Blackboard using the Respondus Lockdown browser. Kindly note that the capacity of each exam is 25 students and the reservation for each exam closes four days prior to the exam date. If you are interested to take the Arabic placement exam, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot in the exam.