Summer Research Academy
Research is a powerful tool that can help you prove a theory, build knowledge, increase awareness, seize opportunities, and succeed in business.
The AUC Summer Research Academy is an interactive workshop that offers you the training by The American University in Cairo (AUC) faculty in the step-by-step development of a research proposal. You will learn the basics of narrowing a topic of interest, writing a research question, developing a tentative annotated bibliography and literature review, describing the research method, and developing and presenting a complete research proposal. Unleash your curiosity and passion for discovery this summer, and join us in an exceptional educational experience.
- Designed theory-grounded research questions
- Understood the research process, skills, and methods; quantitative, qualitative, and mixed
- Created a scholar mindset and integrity
- Written and integrated feedback on research proposals
- Networked with other undergraduate scholars in a learning community
Duration and Location
- One-week: July 3 - 7, 2022
- Sessions will run daily from 10 am to 1 pm
- AUC New Cairo campus
- Fridays and Saturdays off
- EGP 2,500
- 10% discount offered for siblings
Who Can Apply?
University students; graduate and undergraduates.
- Submission of digital copies of the following to email@example.com
- Personal statement, outlining previous research experience and research interests
- Sample of coursework, if any
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 (or ‘good’ status; gayyed)
All the boot camp participants will receive a certificate of participation from AUC.
The AUC bus service is available for extra fees. Details on the schedule will be shared before the program's start date.
Note that only vaccinated students are allowed to use the bus service.
Accommodation is offered at the University residences.
About the Instructors
Hossam Attiah holds an MA in TESOL from AUC. He joined AUC as an instructor in 2007 to teach at the Department of English Language Instruction (ELI) before he moved to the Department of Rhetoric and Composition in 2015. He currently teaches AUC freshman research writing and seminar courses. Attiah regularly attends and presents at international language teaching conferences. He also conducts training of trainers, debating, and business writing workshops. His areas of interest include mentoring teachers, course design, integration of critical thinking and creativity, student autonomy, and the integration of technology in teaching. Prior to his employment at AUC, he worked with a number of Egyptian private-sector and multinational corporations, assisting these groups with their education and training needs. He is currently working on the promotion of community-based courses at AUC and building strong partnerships with NGOs to assist faculty in implementing the methodology.
AUC Refund Policy
A 100% refund of the program fees will be offered in the following cases. Cases should be reported at least three weeks before the program's start date.
- Course cancellation
- Medical withdrawal
- Visa denial