Learning the Arabic language is a journey of discovery. Share that journey with AUC this summer!
Learning new languages opens up opportunities in life, giving you a new view of the world and a wide range of learning experiences. Join us in this intensive language immersion course, where you will develop beginning Arabic language skills in an authentic setting. Your learning will extend to the streets of the magical, culturally rich, and the ancient city of Cairo. This course will teach you the essential skills for daily communication and interactions in Arabic and a brief introduction to the Arabic alphabet. Through hands-on learning and integrated day trips around the city of Cairo, you will practice the Arabic learned in class while experiencing the distinctive sights and flavors of the city.
Reading and Listening
- Interpret familiar words and phrases in familiar contexts such as product labels, inventories, and shopping lists
- Demonstrate understanding of the meaning of simple and short texts related to everyday familiar contexts
- Demonstrate understanding of the general meaning of short, simple, and clearly articulated spoken Modern Standard Arabic conversation and monologues on topics such as personal information, family, and routines
- Identify names of items and simple descriptions when listening to clear Modern Standard Arabic input is defined, familiar, everyday situations such as airport announcements and weather forecasts
- Demonstrate understanding of the general meaning of simple news in media and express the common news in simple expressions
Speaking and Writing
- Exchange personal information
- Understand and give simple instructions
- Exchange information about places and events
- Describe places, objects, and people
- Write a short and simple description of pictures of persons and things
- Write simple messages
- Demonstrate understanding of the general meaning of simple news in newspapers
Duration and Location
- July 17 - August 4, 2022
- Sessions will run daily from 9 am to 3 pm
- AUC New Cairo campus
- Fridays and Saturdays off
- $1,500 (price including field trips)
- 10% discount offered for siblings
- Egyptian students can pay the equivalent amount in Egyptian pounds.
Note: This course helps you save up to almost 50% from its original price at AUC.
Who Can Apply?
This course is one of the required courses needed for students who have not completed their Arabic requirements. The course also serves international students interested in learning new languages that will serve them in various fields internationally.
- Upon taking this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from AUC and an official AUC transcript with your pass/fail mark.
- The course is not letter-graded, only pass or fail.
- Only students who pass the course will be able to transfer the course when they enroll at AUC or any other university (if applicable).
- The course is equivalent to 3 credit hours. Accordingly, upon enrolling at university and enrolling, 3 credit hours will be off-loaded from the major, minor, core, or elective requirements.
- The course will be transferred even if you decide to major in any other field.
- Submit an English writing sample (at least 750 words): essay or reflection
- Submit a copy of your report card for the past two years of school
- Submit a recommendation letter from a high-school teacher within the past academic year. The teacher must mention the student’s capacity for academic study in English
Registration deadline: June 30, 2022
The AUC bus service is available for extra fees. Details on the schedule will be shared before the program’s start date.
Note that only vaccinated students are allowed to use the bus service.
Accommodation is offered at the University residences in case needed.
About the Instructor
Saeed Alwakeel is a professor of Arabic language and literature, Faculty of Arts, Ain Shams University. He worked as the vice dean for graduate studies and research, Faculty of Arts, Ain Shams University (2015-2017). He is teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language since 1993. Saeed has published many books and collections of poems among of them: Mastering Arabic through Literature: Vol. 1 Short Stories, Vol. 2 Theatre, AUC Press, 2014, 2017. Analyzing the Narrative Text. Egyptian Book Organisation, 1998. The Body in Contemporary Arabic Novels: Critical Writings Series, 2004. What Laila said to her infatuated lover. Qibaaa Publishing House, 2000.
AUC Refund Policy
A 100% refund of the program fees will be offered in the following cases. Cases should be reported at least three weeks before the program's start date.
- Course cancellation
- Medical withdrawal
- Visa denial