About the Program
Established in 1981, the Presidential Internship Program at the American University in Cairo (AUC) provides recent university graduates who are American citizens or permanent residents the opportunity to work at the highest levels of an international university, experience life in Cairo and learn Arabic.
As an intern, you'll spend one academic year working at AUC. Each intern fulfills a full-time position in an AUC office or department that aligns with his or her professional and academic interests. Through your work, you'll gain substantive skills and professional experience that will contribute to the AUC community. Past interns have utilized the knowledge and networks that they develop during the program to progress their careers and pursue opportunities, including in the fields of government, academia, journalism and law.
In addition to the primary focus on professional development, you will study Arabic through AUC’s School of Continuing Education, benefit from faculty privileges such as faculty housing, dining and library access, and enjoy AUC-sponsored trips to discover the culture and history of Cairo, Egypt and the Middle East.
Some perks you will enjoy as a presidential intern are:
- A rent-free, fully furnished apartment in AUC faculty housing with utilities included
- Settling-in allowance upon arrival in Cairo
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- Health insurance and access to the AUC clinic
- Access to the AUC Library, sports center and extensive bus system
- Professional development and monthly seminars
- 60 hours of private Arabic tutoring per semester
- Funding for travel in and around Cairo and Egypt
- Organized trips around Cairo and Egypt with faculty services and the Office for International Students and Study Abroad
- Opportunities for service and volunteering
- 15 vacation and sick days in addition to official AUC holidays
To view our the program brochure, click here
Read our blog at aucinterns.tumblr.com