Chelsea Green is an associate professor of music and the Music Program Director at The American University in Cairo. She teaches music history, introductory ethnomusicology, music theory, music entrepreneurship and guitar performance. Drawing on her experience as a professional guitar soloist and ensemble player, Green also directs Cairo Guitar Collective and the AUC Guitar Ensemble, both ensembles consistently perform throughout Egypt.
Along with teaching and performing, Green transcribes music for guitar. She recently completed a set of French art songs for guitar and voice. Her transcriptions are published and distributed by California Guitar Archives (CGA). CGA also distributes her full-length album, The Mélodies of Eric Satie and Reynaldo Hahn, performed by duo Les Copines (Risa Larson, soprano & Chelsea Green, guitars). In 2011, she published a philosophical article entitled Permission to Play: Obstacles and Open Spaces in Music-Making. The article describes how the phenomenon of play, as articulated by the philosopher Hans George Gadamer, relates to the performing arts.
In 2010, Green was selected to participate in the month-long Asian Pacific Performance Exchange (APPEX) in Bali, Indonesia. During the exchange, artists from East Asia and the United States studied traditional Balinese performing arts and created collaborative performance pieces.
In 2006, Green co-founded an electric guitar octet entitled the Los Angeles Electric 8. The octet's repertoire spans the late Renaissance to today. During her six-year membership in the octet, the Los Angeles Electric 8 recorded three full-length albums and performed in a variety of US national festivals including the Strathmore Guitar Festival, Sundays Live at LACMA, REDCAT’s Summer Studio, World Festival of Sacred Music and MicroFest.
Green, Chelsea. "Permission to Play: Obstacles and Open Spaces in Music-Making." Visions of Research in Music Education, Vol. 18, (June, 2011).
Transcriptions for Guitar and Voice
- Green, Chelsea. "Reynaldo Hahn: Ten Mélodies for Voice & Guitar." California Guitar Archives. 2016
- Green, Chelsea. "Erik Satie: Six Mélodies for Voice & Guitar." California Guitar Archives. 2015
- Green, Chelsea. "Reynaldo Hahn: Three Songs." California Guitar Archives, 2011
- Green, Chelsea. "Erik Satie: Four Songs from 1886." California Guitar Archives, 2006
- Les Copines. The Mélodies of Erik Satie & Reynaldo Hahn. California Guitar Archives. © 2015. CD
- The Los Angeles Electric 8. Interlocking Textures. Self-produced, © 2012. CD & MP3
- The Los Angeles Electric 8. Imagined Overtures . Self-produced, © 2009. CD & MP3
- The Los Angeles Electric 8. (self-titled). Self-produced, © 2008. CD & MP3
- Green, Chelsea (guitarist). Departures: Baroque Music on the Guitar. Self-produced, © 2002. CD
- Doctorate of Musical Arts (DMA) - University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), March 19, 2010. Classical Guitar Performance – Private study with Dr. Peter Yates
- Dissertation: Permission to Play: Obstacles and Open Spaces in Music-Making
- Advisors: Dr. Robert Winter and Dr. Peter Yates
- Master of Music Degree (MM) – UCLA, June 17, 2005
- Classical Guitar Performance – Private study with Dr. Peter Yates
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (BA) - UCLA, Dec. 13, 1996
- Classical Guitar Performance - Private study with Theodore Norman
Music pedagogy, aesthetic theory, performance theory, guitar in chamber music, writing about music, practice methods, cross-cultural art exchange, guitar intabulation and its role in the development of opera, the Enlightenment and Niccolò Paganini, guitar ensemble, electric guitar applications in classical music, art song and transcription of quality works for guitar.