Capacity for Research Support
SRC trained staff members offer the following services:
• Provide support in the preparation, design and pretesting of surveys
• Design sampling frames
• Assist in quantitative and qualitative analysis
Our experienced fieldworkers can:
• Liaise with representatives of the Egyptian government agencies and local organizations in the field
• Communicate with the study community
• Recruit and train interviewers
• Supervise interviewing
• Carry out quality control of surveys
SRC trained staff members can:
• Design data entry programs
• Enter data
• Provide advice on and carry out data analysis
• Assist in the presentation of findings
• Advise on the use of computer resources
Funding and Partnerships
The recent past has seen two new developments. Firstly, the SRC has begun to serve as a partner institution with a number of international bodies. As a partner, the SRC has been chosen to support the various external institutional programs in specified areas and is able to receive direct funding from these institutions without a competitive process. Another recent development is the center’s involvement in joint fundraising with the government. This is a positive development, providing previously untapped funding opportunities and fostering stronger linkages between research and policymaking.
During the recent past ( 2002 - 2015), SRC has served 87 projects with a total budget of $11,071,029. For a list of all the projects carried out by the center, click here.
The Social Research Center is especially thankful to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the Ford Foundation for supporting the center with endowments and gifts, as well as core support. Furthermore, the following foundations and organizations have supplied grants in the recent past:
- Canadian International Development (CIDA)
- Central Bank of Egypt
- UK Department for International Development (DFID)
- Ford Foundation
- Wellcome Trust
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- World Bank
- United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- United Nations Human Settlements Program (UN-Habitat)
- UN Women
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Our Tools to Achieve Our Goals: Personnel and Resources
SRC’s success in raising funds and its flexible appointment policies allow it to recruit the best intellectuals in Egypt and to provide them with adequate resources and support. Thus, SRC has become a center of open borders, and has developed into a hub of excellence.
The research faculty positions are either full or part time, and each faculty member serves on one or more research project. In addition to the principal investigators, the center has a number of full time professional research support staff members. These are specialists in the management of field research activities, computer specialists, accountants and administrative staff.
Furthermore, the center makes extensive use of research assistants, who play an important part in the professional work of the center. For field work activities, a roster of some 100 interviewers and supervisors has been established. These are called upon for any of the field activities the center is engaged in.
For more details, visit our people page.