The Journalism Academy: Fundamentals of Communication
Journalism and communications can have a significant impact on people’s lives and how they interpret the world they live in!
This field is the art of providing the right information to the right audience via the right medium, hence helping the world gain a better understanding of their surroundings. Get a 360-degree understanding of how the journalism and communications industries operate. Engage in an exciting learning experience, where you will explore the different media used in today’s modern world, develop writing skills, learn the art of storytelling, understand ethics, get an introduction to advertising, learn the power of visual communication and develop basic photography skills. Join us in learning everything you need to know about the industry, to help you set off on the right career path.
Duration and Location
- July 17 - August 4, 2022
- Sessions will run daily from 9 am to 3 pm
- AUC New Cairo campus
- Fridays and Saturdays off
- $1,000 (price including field trips)
- 10% discount offered for siblings
- Egyptian students can pay the equivalent amount in Egyptian pounds
Note: This course helps you save up to almost 50% from its original price at AUC.
Who Can Apply?
This course is one of the core courses needed to complete any major you specialize in. We recommend you take it if you are interested in exploring the journalism and mass communications major, as you will be studying a topic of interest while off-loading yourself on one core course in the semester.
- Upon taking this course, you will receive a certificate of completion from AUC and an official AUC transcript with your pass/fail mark.
- The course is not letter-graded, only pass or fail.
- Only students who pass the course will be able to transfer the course when they enroll at AUC or any other university (if applicable).
- The course is equivalent to 3 credit hours. Accordingly, upon enrolling at the University and enrolling, 3 credit hours will be off-loaded from the major, minor, core, or elective requirements.
- The course will be transferred even if you decide to major in any other field.
- Submit an English writing sample (at least 750 words): essay or reflection
- Submit a copy of your report card for the past two years of school
- Submit a recommendation letter from a high-school teacher within the past academic year. The teacher must mention the student’s capacity for academic study in English
Registration deadline: June 30, 2022.
The AUC bus service is available for extra fees. Details on the schedule will be shared before the program’s start date.
Note that only vaccinated students are allowed to use the bus service.
Accommodation is offered at the University residences in case needed.
About the Instructor
Mervat Abou Oaf
Professor of Practice, PhD Prior Chair
Mervat Abou Oaf is an academic and professional media expert and educator with twenty-five years of solid practice and teaching experience. She is a Professor of Practice and prior chair of the Journalism and Mass Communication Department at the GAPP of AUC. She received her PhD from the University Autonoma of Barcelona, Spain, with an "Excellent" qualification. Her teaching domain covers a wide range of practical and theoretical media disciplines. She has created a niche in media literacy and media law, with particular emphasis on the legislation of the cinema and entertainment industries. Abou Oaf has acquired vast expertise in the administrative sphere in academia and has been extensively involved in student affairs, policies, and co-curricular activities since 1995. She is a trainer and curricula designer at the National Training Academy of the Presidential Leadership Programs PLP, EPLP, and APLP. A Directory Board Consultant to the "Chamber of Cinema Industry" Federation in Egypt and the Academic consultant for the Cairo International Film Festival. Abou Oaf serves in the National Council for Women's Foreign Affairs Committee. She is a member of the Foreign Press Association and a trustee and board member/media consultant of "The AWLADNA" Foundation for the disabled. Consultant for the TV Presenters Segment at the United Media Services and Media Hubs (DOME). Abou Oaf is a recipient of "Peace Ambassador for Arts and Culture" from the Egyptian Center for World Peace and Human Rights and an advocate of soft power's significant role in conducting change within communities.
AUC Refund Policy
A 100% refund of the program fees will be offered in the following cases. Cases should be reported at least three weeks before the program's start date.
- Course cancellation
- Medical withdrawal
- Visa denial