Video Production and Approval
The Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs produces promotional or documentary videos that seek to relay the marketing messages of AUC, and help to enhance the “spirit of the AUC community." This involves showcasing the impressive research and innovation demonstrated by faculty and students, as well as community outreach projects.
The videos are part of the mandate of the Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs and not on demand.
The Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs approves promotional and documentary videos that are produced by other departments and offices. Approval from the Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs is a must for the video to be uploaded on the University's channels.
Other videos that are not promotional or documentary in style, (event coverage, academic or teaching videos and the filming of dignitary visits to AUC) do not need approval by the office, considering that they already fulfill the publishing requirements.
Approval Process Steps
The video approval takes place for three stages of the video:
- The “Brief”: including:
- A summary of the project that includes its aim and purpose
- The intended audience for this project
- The intended date of publishing for this project
- The interviewees, events, and locations that need to be filmed
- The proposed duration of the project
- The rough cut of the video after including all comments and edits
- Send the final version of the video for final approval
Approval requests are sent by email to the assistant director for video production.
- The Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs can provide any needed University B-roll footage or photos that are available in the office library.
- The proposed script of the video should be approved by the video unit before starting production, in order to make sure suggestions and comments are given early on.
- It is the responsibility of the department or office producing the video to get the necessary approval for the producer to film on campus
- It is the responsibility of the department or office producing the video to provide personal and location releases signed by the authorized signatories.
- AUC's branding and editorial style guide must apply to all videos
- The Office of Marketing Communication and Public Affairs has the right to approve and make amendments to the video. In rare cases, the office has the right to reject the video from distribution or dissemination.
- All music used in the video must be copyright free with no legal issues of usage.
- Famous music clips and songs cannot be used in AUC videos. (The 20-second rule is a myth and has no legal basis.)
- Stock videos cannot include people and locations as representative of the AUC community and campuses. Generic videos of Cairo, Egypt, or science images are fine to use, as long as there are no copyright issues and royalty payments. Only actual AUC people and campus locations can be used as represented by themselves.
- All music and stock footage used should be attributed by the original author at the end of the video if required by the author.
- No pirated or demo versions of software/programs can be used to create the video.
- Watermarks of software or voiceover of copyrights are not permitted on AUC videos.
- Your video should have a clear title, a brief description, and a tag-list to be used for online distribution.
- The video resolution should be full HD 1920x1080.
- Your video should have the AUC logo either at the beginning of the end.
- A “special thanks” slide can be placed at the end of the video if required/necessary.